Thursday, August 5, 2010

That's A Wrap!



That right there is a photo of the actual training schedule that I used for my upcoming race. The race is billed as 11.6 miles but every time I’ve run it, my Garmin tracks it longer. In any case, there are no 11 or 12 mile training plans so in order to get in the right amount of running, I used Hal Higdon’s Intermediate Half Marathon Plan.

As of yesterday morning when I ran 5K, my training was done – see all the cross outs? Now I have two days of complete rest and then the race on Saturday.

Right now the weather is predicted to be in the high 70’s and sunny. There is a stretch in this race, right around mile 8 where there is no place to find shade and it is straight up a hill for almost ¾ of a mile. It’s awful. 77 degrees will feel like 97 right there. One year I was so out of sorts – it was 90 degrees that year – I think I was actually hallucinating a little. So why on earth would I subject myself to this again?

I actually chose this race for several reasons:

• It’s in my hometown and it’s free. That’s right – it’s a timed, measured course, supported with water/Gatorade stops every 2 miles or so, with a great finish festival sponsored by our local running club – and it’s free.

• I haven’t done any racing in two years so I figured if training didn’t go well, or weather conditions were awful (like pouring rain) on race day, I could back out and wouldn’t be upset (or feel obligated to run) like I would had I spent $50 to enter.

• Because it’s always held the first Saturday in August, you’re pretty much guaranteed hot weather, which means you might not necessarily get a good race time. Believe it or not, my ego needs that cushion. If I do horrible, I will definitely blame it on the weather.

So that’s it. I think I’m about as prepared as I can be. During the past twelve weeks, I have run a bit over 250 miles, with my lowest mileage week being 14.8 and my highest 33.1. I made some adjustments along with way due to my sister-in-law's death and getting strep throat paired with a double ear infection, but pretty much I only missed 2 runs total.  I have drunk gallons of water, some of it spiked with Nuun tablets, and probably close to a gallon of Accelerade. I have run in gorgeous cool temps and managed some fast runs. I have run in hot, humid, disgusting conditions and slogged through runs. I’ve spent this week tapering and consuming a few more carbs than normal. I’ve done everything I can and now the rest is up to actual race day conditions.

Wish me luck.

21 comments:

  1. more than luck enjoy the process
    the whole racedayjourney.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your race Saturday! Trust your training I'm sure you'll do well no matter what the weather you have trained in some of all of it!
    Go Helen Go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you don't need luck. You've got grit and determination. I hope you enjoy every minute of your race day. And your rest days!

    I'm so proud for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your determination to run no matter what. Thanks for turning me on to Reflections on a Middle Aged Fat Woman. She's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, although you've done so much training that you really don't need it...just looking at your training schedule and all of the cross outs says so much - to me, that's an awesome feat right there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're absolutely going to rock this thing...Have fun!!! I'll be thinking of you...

    My best always
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Luck Helen! What an accomplishment! Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Helen! I'm super impressed with that training schedule you've completed. That is a major accomplishment. I can't wait to see your race results on Saturday. And pictures...I want pictures please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was told that the race is a celebration of the training. I LOVE THAT!
    Have a great celebration, I'll be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You rock! I'm excited to see how you do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Helen that's AMAZING!!! I'm just committed to half in March and have a long way to go. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That's awesome! I admire you. You go for it and have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to hear about it. Enjoy every bit of it, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah! Great job keeping to the training schedule, you are going to do awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a commitment - I can't believe the 250 miles. I think I sat 250 miles.

    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So exciting...excellent for you...best wishes (no luck needed) on a comfortable race.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so excited for you Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You will do so well!!! Have fun!! By the way, I used the same half marathon schedule. Looks like I need to start using it again...SOON!!!! I am craving a race!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YOU ARE GOING TO KICK ASS HELEN! Glad I got home in time tonight to get on the computer.

    Can't wait for the recap - I'll be thinking about you tomorrow morning (okay, maybe while I am in my pj's reading the paper!)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete