Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tuesday Ten: Vacation Edition

1. As you all know I have been rabidly looking forward to this vacation. I needed it in every way: physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually.

2. We chose this vacation because we really didn't have a lot of extra cash this year. In fact, after our flooded family room (read: cash to rebuild), Mr. Helen having to purchase some sort of new vehicle (read: cash for down payment), and my sister-in-law's death (read: funeral expenses and 3 airline tickets at the last minute to an expensive 'zone' from where we live), we actually didn't have any "extra" cash.

3. By giving up our Friday night takeout and making some other adjustments, we scraped enough together to drive a couple of hours away. We took wine from our own stash, some food, and every supply we could think of so we wouldn't have to buy much of anything once we got there. Really, all we needed was minimal funds for a week beach pass and a couple "clam shack" style meals out. Doable and worth the R&R we would get out of it.

4. We arrived on Saturday hopeful, excited, looking forward to so many things. Even though it was overcast and humid feeling and cold, the original forecast said all that would end by Monday night. So we would have to deal with a day or so of not great weather. Two hours after we arrived, while we were trying to enjoy a glass of wine on the deck, it started sprinkling. It never stopped and actually got worse. I'm not kidding - it poured rain for 4 straight days.

5. Mr. Helen is known far and wide for his extraordinary patience and outstanding ability to see the glass half full in the face of troublesome circumstances. He's really very good at not reacting.  We tried to stick it out because we had rented the cottage for the whole week. Meaning no refunds.

6. On the 3rd day he said, "Enough is enough - if it's still like this tomorrow, let's pack it in and blow this Popsicle stand."

7. We discussed that rather than continue to spend money to stay - if you can't go to the beach, EVERYTHING costs $$ (eating out because we couldn't cook on the grill, trying to find things to entertain us like movies, bowling and museums), we would go home to free entertainment: TV, computer, and already paid for season pass to our own beach ready and waiting when the weather broke.

8. On the 4th day we woke to the hardest rain yet along with a forecast of the 5th day being overcast all day while the storm cleared out, leaving only 1 possible day of sunshine for the entire vacation.

9. A vacation in Cape Cod in a 'Noreaster is no vacation at all. So we cut it short and left.

10. We rolled the vacation dice twice and "crapped out" both times this summer. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

We tried to do some free things like go see some lighthouses.
This is Highland Light aka Cape Cod Light.
We had umbrellas but not rain gear.  The wind was blowing so hard the umbrellas couldn't stay open. 
All that white stuff in the photo is not fog, it's blowing RAIN.
 And that is what it looks like on Cape Cod during a 'Noreaster.

11 comments:

  1. While I get that it was less than ideal, look at it as you got some rest in. It did not meet expectations, but there was an up side right? I really would like 5 days of nothing in a place I am not from. Aaaand you got to hang out with Mr. Helen too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that your vacation turned into a rain vacation. But I would agree with Shane who seems to look on the bright side of things and that's what you should do.

    Next vacation will probably much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that vacation sucked. And blew. Sorry it was not the fun, relaxing, SUNNY week that you needed to recharge your batteries. I hope you will have some great weekend beach weather in the next couple of months so you can at least get some local sunny, soul-filling days in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I know you're disappointed. That's the way we "inland folk" feel when we go to the beach too. Seems like every year I dodge hurricanes to visit my aunt's place at Myrtle Beach. Yep, you did get away, and that's a good thing, but that doesn't take away the disappointment I know you feel that things didn't work out like you hoped. Maybe this coming year will be much better with no unexpected expenses like you've had this year, and a PERFECT vacation next time around! CathyB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, Helen. That weather looks awful! I can see why you were disappointed. I would have been, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry the weather didn't cooperate! If it had been me and my hubby, I think we would have spent the entire vacation in bed watching movies all day!

    But I agree, when you have something in your head and it doesn't turn out, it is disappointing.

    Hugs!
    Biz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, despite the weather, that photo looks fantastic. I enlarged it at my desktop and it's funny, humorous and tragic (vacationally speaking).
    Frame-worthy!

    I hope your mood continues to improve over the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh Helen, it sounds like you were in SEATTLE! :) That's our normal here, well, at least for six months of the year and today it looks like that six months has started.

    Sorry about the bad weather. I just hate it when the weather doesn't cooperate with my plans. Today is our team picnic at work and it's raining. They're having the picnic inside now at the lunchroom. Not so fun. :)

    I guess there's always next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you at least got a fried clam. Big Hugs all over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, coming home all wrinkly and pruny from all that rain would have sucked! I'm sorry for that awful weather!

    If it makes you feel any better, we camped last week and hubby and I were delighted when it got down to the freezing point while we were tenting! Um, I know 'body heat' is a great warmer-upper, but not if it's too cold to get your clothes off in the first place!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate it when stuff like that happens to us! It sounds like you made the best of it. Hopefully next year will be much better.

    ReplyDelete