Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tuesday Ten

1. My latest blog gripe: getting an email that begins, “Hi! I am new to the blogging world and I’m involved in ________________ and wondered if you’d go vote for me? I’m trying to win _________________. Thanks for your help and if you have a blog, please let me know, I’d love to read it.” Why is that irritating? Because to find my email address they had to go to my blog profile and guess what else is there? The link to Doing A 180. You can bet those emails go straight to my spam folder.

2. Speaking of spam, I’ve had a few requests to remove the word verification from my own blog. The result? An almost immediate spam comment. I’ll leave it off for a while but if it keeps up, I’m turning it back on.

3. My favorite laugh out loud blog last week was written by Middle Aged Fat Woman. Please go here: http://reflectionsonamiddle-agedfatwoman.blogspot.com/2010/07/what-i-did-for-brown.html as it’s definitely a must read. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

4. As much as I hate to admit it, summer is waning. There’s a tree that I see when I look out my kitchen window that tells the story. The top of it is already turning red and gold. When you’re a summer lover like I am, this season is never long enough.

5. Another way I know? Lately, my runs have been to moon set instead of sun rise.

6. Peak and taper is when a runner is most susceptible to getting a cold or some other weird affliction. Because of that, I’m drinking Emergen-C every day. A mega dose of C & B vitamins can only help I think.

7. I’m eating a few more carbs than usual this week. Good, whole grain, wholesome carbs that will help me build my glycogen stores and stay hydrated during the race (yep, carbs make you retain water!). So, my apologies to my fellow challengers but I won’t be weighing in tomorrow. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in all the distance racing I’ve done, it’s don’t weigh yourself during the taper.

9. They keep spotting great white sharks off the coast of Cape Cod. 14 of them swimming together at last count, which closed all the beaches one town away from where our vacation cottage is. The town is south of where we’re staying so hopefully the sharks keep swimming towards the Jersey Shore. Maybe they’ll go snack on that awful Snooki or The Situation.

9. I know I’m ready for vacation by the following: I don’t want to do anything. By anything I mean cook, exercise, go to work, answer the phone, be online, or be on a schedule of any sort. I’m ready for a complete disconnect from “regular” life.

10. For a quick getaway, we do love the Cape but our dream vacation is in St. Martin, FWI. We are far enough away that cell phones don’t work, yet we could get on a direct flight and be home within the day. Regular phone call would be international so no one is going to do that unless it’s an emergency. We don’t have a laptop computer so are not even tempted to take it. Even the local newspaper is French, unless we happen to drive to Sint Maarten, which is the Dutch side of the same island. Alas, no SXM this year, but I’ve already started saving for 2011!

Do you have a special place you like to go to vacation and/or disconnect?

12 comments:

  1. Yep...I hate those emails as well....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I'm with ya on the spam. Keep chugging you on the vitamin C. Can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post today and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new look of your site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I am just stunned by some of the emails I get - I used to try and respond politely with a little guidance, but no more...I just don't have the time to keep messing with these people.

    The UPS story - holy crap, my nightmare! We have a glass window in our front door which is right by our laundry room...I've made the towel dash a few times to get something, crossing my fingers the entire time that no deliveryman is coming up the walk. Great story and thanks for the laugh!

    Never knew that about the peak and taper onset of illness - good thing to keep in mind. Glad you are protecting yourself with the Emergen-C AND from the scale during your carb-loading week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my office, huge OMG laugh when I read about the UPS man coming back with the package. HYSTERICAL! Sometimes after a run, I'll strip down and toss everything in the washing machine and then run up to the shower...oh my poor UPS man if he ever were to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I have that same tree, it's out my bathroom window and easily spied while on the terlet (as Archie Bunker would say). I watch it every season, I'm going to check it out when I get home and see if I see what you see. I am a little more South, so it may take another week or two. I LOVE SUMMER!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right now a simple vacation would be nice. :-)

    I really like the Tuesday Ten for some reason. I think it is just the quick, random thoughts that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. any of the hawaiian islands is where I like to vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Tuesday 10! I hated missing it last week while I was away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get so many spam emails it isn't even funny - on average about 20 a day!

    Love that you are in vacation mode! One time, we took a vacation and my husband was adamant about the rental home having internet access. When we got there, they had just disconnected it - at first he was mad, but it was one of the best vacations! No emails, etc.

    Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unlike you Helen, about this time of year I can't wait for fall/not winter and cold, but cooler temps!

    My husband and I went to the Bahamas on our honeymoon (15 years ago!) but the town home we stayed in had no phone, no TV, no nothing and we had a great time. It was awesome not to be plugged in to everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will vacation anywhere, just let me go!

    I have to use a captcha or I get tons of spam. I mean like hundreds that some bots are programmed to do. It is aggravating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Summer is NOT waning! Shhhhhhh.

    :)

    ReplyDelete