2. Speaking of spam, I’ve had a few requests to remove the word verification from my own blog. The result? An almost immediate spam comment. I’ll leave it off for a while but if it keeps up, I’m turning it back on.
3. My favorite laugh out loud blog last week was written by Middle Aged Fat Woman. Please go here: http://reflectionsonamiddle-agedfatwoman.blogspot.com/2010/07/what-i-did-for-brown.html as it’s definitely a must read. Go ahead, I’ll wait.
4. As much as I hate to admit it, summer is waning. There’s a tree that I see when I look out my kitchen window that tells the story. The top of it is already turning red and gold. When you’re a summer lover like I am, this season is never long enough.
5. Another way I know? Lately, my runs have been to moon set instead of sun rise.
6. Peak and taper is when a runner is most susceptible to getting a cold or some other weird affliction. Because of that, I’m drinking Emergen-C every day. A mega dose of C & B vitamins can only help I think.
7. I’m eating a few more carbs than usual this week. Good, whole grain, wholesome carbs that will help me build my glycogen stores and stay hydrated during the race (yep, carbs make you retain water!). So, my apologies to my fellow challengers but I won’t be weighing in tomorrow. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in all the distance racing I’ve done, it’s don’t weigh yourself during the taper.
9. They keep spotting great white sharks off the coast of Cape Cod. 14 of them swimming together at last count, which closed all the beaches one town away from where our vacation cottage is. The town is south of where we’re staying so hopefully the sharks keep swimming towards the Jersey Shore. Maybe they’ll go snack on that awful Snooki or The Situation.
9. I know I’m ready for vacation by the following: I don’t want to do anything. By anything I mean cook, exercise, go to work, answer the phone, be online, or be on a schedule of any sort. I’m ready for a complete disconnect from “regular” life.
10. For a quick getaway, we do love the Cape but our dream vacation is in St. Martin, FWI. We are far enough away that cell phones don’t work, yet we could get on a direct flight and be home within the day. Regular phone call would be international so no one is going to do that unless it’s an emergency. We don’t have a laptop computer so are not even tempted to take it. Even the local newspaper is French, unless we happen to drive to Sint Maarten, which is the Dutch side of the same island. Alas, no SXM this year, but I’ve already started saving for 2011!