Monday, September 20, 2010

An Attitude of Gratitude

Monday again bloggy peeps.  Where do the weekends go?

Yesterday and again this morning, I had two FAB-U-LOUS runs! A little faster than I've been running, which makes me happy, but more importantly the runs just felt good. You know - the sort of run that leaves you with a smile and feeling optimistic about the day!  Gotta admit I like starting my week off this way. I don't know about you but I find it so much easier to stay focused on my goals for my mind and body when my head and attitude are in the right place.

The wake for our friend on Friday night was good, although we didn't hang out there.  Since this was Mr. Helen's best friend's family I was surprised when I got home and he said to me that he didn't even feel like going.  It was purely emotional for sure and we both admitted that we feel a bit tired from all the deaths lately.  So we agreed not to go and hang out there - just give out our hugs and go on our way.  It was the right decision.

We had planned to go visit Mr. Helen's youngest sister and her husband this weekend because they live close to The Big E.  We haven't gone in several years and they have never been, even though they've lived here all their lives! We were supposed to go Friday night but the wake put that off until Saturday morning.  Which meant we ended up missing Nick's funeral, but I'd say based on our emotional state, that was the right decision too.

We had a wonderful time and were on our feet walking from 11 am to 5 pm!  As hindsight is always 20-20, I wished I had worn my HRM because it would have been interesting to see the calorie burn.  Not that we were walking fast but simply because it was for so many hours.  Strangely, I did not find myself tempted by fried fair food.  Well I briefly considered buying some homemade potato chips but the portion was so large and I couldn't get anyone to agree to share with me so I didn't.  Ya'll know my favorite food group... so I ended up buying a smoked grilled boneless pork sandwich.  Yummy!  And, a couple of hours later, I bought a napoleon at an Italian bakery.  While I enjoyed it, I wasn't wowed and wished I hadn't bought it. 

The coolest thing happened too.  I don't know if I've mentioned this before but my SIL Pam, even in her deepest darkest most awful moments of treatments and even in the last weeks of her life, when asked how she was doing would reply, "It's all good!" With a smile.  Well, Tricia (my SIL, Pam's sister)  and I were walking through the Craft Commons looking at all the stuff we could buy but didn't need.  As we came upon this vendor who had all sorts of hand painted signs I looked over, and right there was a sign that said, "It's All Good."  I grabbed Tricia and pointed and we both started crying. Then we went in and each bought one.  When we told the crafter why we were buying them, she added a bronze heart to each sign for us. 

We ended up spending the night at their house and while there Tricia, who has been given the responsibility of disbursing Pam's personal items, gave me the bracelet Pam was wearing when she passed and her "runner" earrings.  Do I even need to say how honored I am to receive these items?

As we drove home yesterday Mr. Helen and I both remarked about how we felt Pam had been with us enjoying every minute.  Stay tuned this week and I'll try to get some photos up of all these things for you to see. 

So, I start this week with an attitude of gratitude.  So grateful for friends and family, for good runs and bad runs and the simple fact that I CAN run.  It really is all good.

9 comments:

  1. I have tears reading this. I feel like I know Pam; you have written about her so beautifully that I really get a sense of how wonderful she was.
    So funny, I was going to say "pictures please" and then you beat me to it.
    I've never heard of the Big E, sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have chills and tears reading this - the signs were, truly, a sign. I am so glad that you received that, plus some mementos of Pam...looking forward to seeing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a weekend. Enjoyed reading about it. Walking around a fair all day would be fun! So much to look at.... and very cool about the signs. I wouldn't doubt one little bit Pam was there with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time visiting your blog. I so appreciate your perspective. I wish you the best today...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, darn it all. Blogger ate my comment. To paraphrase:

    I love it when the gratitude comes with peace as a side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, eyes got all teary on this one! I have no doubt in my mind that Pam didn't direct you right to that vendor!

    And I am loving the positive undertones throughout the whole post! It really is all good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There have been way too many deaths lately. My hubby lost a coworker to cancer this past week. It does remind you how good it is to be alive.
    Enjoy every minute of it.

    Congrats on the great runs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well this post brought me to tears Helen. How special that you found that sign and that you now have those special pieces of jewelry.

    An attitude of gratitude is a great way to start the week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful Helen! You really wrote this well, and it's obvious that while it is exhausting emotionally to have so many deaths, you are dealing with it well. I admire you.

    ReplyDelete