Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Community Spirit

Our good friend JBS has written a post today that got me thinking and thinking hard.  I wasn’t even planning on writing today but combined with her post and Leslie’s award to me yesterday, I feel compelled to write.

Leslie gave me this little beauty:


which both delighted and shocked me.  I don’t know if it’s my own insecurities or what, but I just have a hard time believing that anything I write is of substance.  Maybe it's simply because I started this blog to blather on about my own feelings whenever I felt like it.  Surprises me every time that people actually want to read what I've written and that it means something to them.

The rules of this award are to summarize your blog's philosophy, motivation and experience in 5 words.  Here are mine:

Peace of Mind and Body

Then JBS goes and thanks me in her post today and I’m thinking “for what?”  I should be thanking her for bravely sharing her journey through Bipolar depression and her Chickadee’s life with Rett’s Syndrome.  In today’s post she asks that we share the community that has lifted us up in the last year.

And so, I shall.  For starters here is my community somewhat combined with bloggers I wish to pass this award on to (in no particular order!):

JBS, whether you like it or not, I include you.  You're the same age as my daughter dealing with some huge things that I can't even imagine. Everytime I pop over to visit, you take my breath away and make me center myself on what is important.  You help me stop with the bullsh*t, selfish thoughts that drag me down. 

Miz, who will probably get a ton of these awards.  She always seems to have just the right comment on a post and it's usually one that is very different from the others.  I appreciate her insight.  She always makes me go "hmmmmm."

Roxie, because you fasccinate me with your thoughtful, soulful exploration of life.  You want to be your best self and live your best life and it shows.

Janell, because noone can weave a story, whether happy or heartachy, like you can. One post I laugh my butt off, the next you make me cry.  Thank you for sharing your crazy life with us.  I know you say you're lazy about writing but if you ever get to writing a book, I'll buy it.

Biz, because you make me want to be a better cook.  As much as I love to cook, I think you love it more. Along with your love for your Tony and Hannah that you openly share with us, you work hard to create a healthy life while fighting diabetes.  All of that together is so inspiring.

Shelley, who has relit the fire in my running shoes.  Her excitement and enthusiasm for the new life that she is creating after a weight loss of over 100 pounds is infectious.  I wish Shelley and I were neighbors so we could be running partners too!

And, Leslie, if you didn't already have it, I'd give it to you too.  You always say your posts are too long.  I say they are your heart and soul and we like them and you just the way you are.

I would be remiss if I didn't include this guy:

Little Helen, Mr. Helen

He and I are complete opposites but he makes me a better person.  Many years ago he convinced me that not all men were scum and neither were all step-fathers.  He jumped in with both feet, scooped us up and carried us away just like a knight in shining armour.  Sure, we've had our ups and downs but hung in there because ultimately it's the right thing to do.  In the last year he introduced me to the martial arts and proved to me that yes, indeed, a chubby white chick could do it.  He's my biggest cheerleader and deep in my heart I know he just wants me to be happy and be the best me possible.

It's all good.


12 comments:

  1. Aww, thank you for your kind words! Between this and your email (thanks for having my back, btw) it's been a great morning! You totally deserve the award - you are most definitely a woman of substance (I might have stolen that line from a movie so don't tell, ok?). I really wish we could run side-by-side instead of me just carrying you in my head - hey, you're getting extra miles! ;)

    So sweet what you wrote about Mr. Helen - how long have you two been married?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone revels in the affirmation of their replies. We feel the need to know what we say matters to others, at least I know I do. So, thank you and I look forward to continued reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so funny that you doubt you have substance: I click you as one of the first reads every time I log on.
    And your 5 words: perfect!
    I didn't know Mr. Helen was a step-father.....there is so much love in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely post and a lovely tribute (to me!) haha
    Mr.Helen is a babe but how did he get that name? I mean, does that make you Helen Helen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Helen! Such a nice post, and I always want to read what you say. You make me want to get back to at least FAST walking, if not jogging, someday. And you do share your real honest genuine feelings - which makes for substance in my book.

    Love the picture of the Mr. and the Little... what good looking folks all 3 of you are! And thanks for including a couple of blogs I don't already read. The others on your recipient list I totally agree with. Will check out Janell right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Helen! I certainly appreciate it and I love reading your blog posts each day. So open and honest, which I love.

    Do you think I am not in your reader because I switched my URL to http://mybizzykitchen?

    Happy Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen, thank you so much for the nod. What kind words! And like others have said, I adore that you've included Mr. Helen, with the lovely bonus of Little Helen.

    It is so nice to be mentioned in such great company and you put such a nice spin on the flailing-about that I call my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah. Helen. I am finally relaxing after a hellacious day. I wanted to just sit down and watch a movie and eat.

    I mean...

    Actually, I did have to restrain myself, but the thing that pulled me through was the thought of this community. And reading your words that you alluded to in your comment.

    Now I want to cry. In that good happy cleansing way. Thank you for standing by me through the summer when you barely saw hide nor hair of me. For believing in me. For pushing me to see the positive in a completely unpushy way. You are an inspiration, and a light in this community.

    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOH A SIGHTING OF THE RARE AND ELUSIVE MISTER HELEN!!

    I wanna say thank you.
    And no ;)
    I dont receive many of these and even if I did---as with every single reader comment---Id treasure them all.

    our blogs are all a labor of love huh?
    and knowing we've touched even just one person makes all the labor worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you highly deserve this award. I LOVE reading me some Helen every time you post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely deserve it. I wasn't familiar with alot of those blogs, so thanks for the list. Blog awards are always so touching and sweet. Enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the five words describing your blog. Perfect.

    And yay for husbands who understand and love us, even though we are nothing alike. I have one of those too. :)

    ReplyDelete