Monday, September 27, 2010

Soup's On!

Here it is Monday again kids! 

On Saturday I did another virtual run with Shelley, running 6.44 miles.  After I stopped my Garmin, my first thought was "why didn't you just run another couple of seconds so it would be 6.45?"  I'm crazy like that - I like nice round numbers.  But I digress.  She completely rocked her 6 mile run!  She's doing so well and it's a lot of fun to see her new runner enthusiasm and tenacity.  When I got home and was writing in my running log, I realized that not only had I exercised every single day last week - 7 days in a row with no days off - but I had run 28 miles.  That's quite a bit for me when I'm not training for any race.  It was just a really good running week.  And, as I told a friend, all those little runs add up when you do it enough days in a row.

I was glad to have this weekend at home, not being obligated to anything.  Especially since we had what was most like our last "summer" day on Saturday.  It was 85 degrees!  I was so happy for the warm temperatures, I didn't even mind the humidity (Um, after my run that is.  During my run the humidity was kicking my butt!

Over the last couple of weeks, I've found myself slipping into my every-season-but-summer groove: I spend Saturdays cleaning and shopping and Sundays cooking, if we are home. 

I don't know about you but I even prep veggies as I find them to be a challenge to make during the busy work week, unless I just want to open a can and dump.  I'm also always looking for ways to sneak in veggie servings without actually crunching a carrot stick.  Last week our newspaper ran a recipe and it looked good so I cut it out and bought the ingredients.  I ended up modifying it because, well, sometimes the things a recipe asks you to do are too time consuming or not practical.  Anyway, it was so easy and came out SO GOOD!!  Therefore,  I've decided to be a good blogging friend and share my version.  Aren't you glad you stopped by today?

Roasted Zucchini Soup

3 pounds zucchini, cut into chunks
1 large sweet onion (like Vidalia), cut into chunks
3 T olive oil
Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 14 1/2 oz. cans light and fat free chicken broth
3 T freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees.


In a large bowl, mix chunks of zucchini & onion, olive oil, sprinke with some sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

Dump out onto a cookie sheet and roast in the oven for 35 minutes. The vegetables should be browned on at least one side and be tender.




Remove from oven, cover with foil, and let sit for 20 minutes.

Put the chicken broth into a large saucepan, bring to a boil, then add the vegetables. Turn the heat down and simmer for about 10 minutes.



Remove from heat. Using a stick blender, blend until mostly creamy with a few small chunks. Stir in grated parmesan cheese.

Makes 8 one cup servings, 95 calories, 6g fat, 9g carbs, 3 g fiber, 2.6g protein per serving.

This was so delicious, almost like a "cream of" soup without the cream. The pictures really don't do it justice and as hard as I tried, I couldn't get a good "soup on spoon" shot.   I'll be having a cup of soup along with my salad or sandwich,  every day for lunch this week.  What an easy way to get in some veggie servings.

10 comments:

  1. LOOKS DELISH!!!
    I am on the way to the store (second one in an hour, already done Trader Joe's, now to the regular grocery store), I think I just HAVE to try that!!!
    Great running chica! I did 5 yesterday and it felt great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Helen, that soup looks wonderful! I am on a soup kick these days. I am going to try to make this this week! Thanks for posting the recipe.

    Great job on the mileage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never even heard of roasted zucchini soup, but it does look really creamy!!

    I could eat soup every day and never get sick of it.

    Happy Monday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soups and stews are my favorite things to cook and eat. Love 'em. This is a definite winner and plenty easy for my new found anti cooking campaign. I'm sure roasting the zukes and onions gives the soup amazing flavor.

    Way to rock the running, though that's nothing new for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That soup looks good! I use frozen veggies all the time. Mostly broccoli and cauliflower florets as they are quick to cook and don't go bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made the soup with broccoli: YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so making this tonight!! I just got back from the store and bought the ingredients I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow great job on the mileage this week! You rocked it!
    I'm like you, I cook on Sundays for the rest of the week including a lot of veggies. I'm going to have to start doing more now because Mr. Sandra wants on the bandwagon and unless I prep it ahead of time, he will just stand there with the fridge door open wondering what he can eat. Once he gets the hang of eating healthy I'm sure he will figure it out but until then....
    And that soup looks delish - thanks for sharing it. I LOVE soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah, that soup will be made by me, and soon! It looks so good!!!

    Running "with" you on Saturdays is fun! And my gosh, you are really up with your mileage - I hit 14 miles for last week and was impressed with myself, but look at you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOOOOOVE the virtual runs you two are doing.

    motivates me in my own workouts as well.

    ReplyDelete