Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tuesday Ten

1.  Earl was a non-event here but we did get waves of soaking rain. That lasted for just Friday night.  I had taken everything off the patio but when I got home Friday I got Mr. Helen to help me drag all the plants back out so they could be watered by nature! Then we had 2 pretty windy days but it was sunny and no humidity to speak of. Honestly, we had more rain and wind during the Cape Cod Nor'easter that wrecked our vacation - and I have the photo to prove it!

2.  Spent Labor Day at the beach with my 3 year old niece and 6 year old nephew.   Gracie is very talkative and busy, but thank goodness really well behaved.  It's just that I'm not used to have to answer so many questions about, well about EVERYTHING!  Jacob is just a typical boy and he wanted to spend most of the day in the water body surfing.  By the end of the day, we were exhausted.  I swear I haven't slept like I did last night (without the aid of sleep medicine) for years.

3.  You guys know I've been trying to eat without "counting" and to eat what I want. No food off limits;  no counting points, calories, grams of anything.  .  Lately, I've had days where I honestly did not get hungry until around 4 p.m..  Then I was stomach growling ravenous hungry.  Then I couldn't figure out what to eat because nothing sounded right.  So I found myself standing in front of the fridge just staring.  So I decided to wait to eat.  Then I got a stomach ache and headache that wouldn't quit.  Frustrating, that.

4.  Every Monday I go read the Post Secret Blog.  I can't begin to tell you how many of the postcards that are sent in I could have written myself. 

5. I recently acknowledged to myself that I am not a fruit lover.  I am pretty picky about the fruits I do like - which tend to be summer fruits:  berries, peaches, melons.  The banana is probably the only year round all-purpose fruit in my arsenal.  Even then I go through waves of dislike even with them.  When I was at the grocery store the other day and was looking at the fruit (and not buying any) I began to wonder if I really don't like the fruit or maybe I just don't want to pay $4.99 for a container of berries.

6.  I do love veggies though and have often said if it were not for pork (in every form, i.e. bacon is one of the 5 food groups, right?) I could be Jewish and vegetarian.  What I don't like about veggies is that I really only like fresh veggies and those require some thought and preparation if you're not going to "salad" yourself to death.

7. I read Geneen Roth's books years ago, before she was Oprah's muse. This one was one of my favorites and I gave many copies of it to women friends. I was looking for my copy to re-read ithe other day and couldn't find it so I'm going to order another one. What I like about this book is that it is plain old practical. Which is probably why I don't care for Geneen Roth or the books she's writing now where she's trying to be spiritual.

8. I think I've reached the point in my life where not every single thing has to be some big spiritual exploration. In fact, sometimes I think I've reached the point where I don't want to do anymore exploration, digging, reflection, etc.  Sometimes we overeat because we do - and it has nothing to do with years of abuse or whatever. Sometimes it's just a choice we're making. There is some wisdom in plain old, "stop eating so damn much."  AKA Close The Piehole.

9.  By the way, I feel that way every time I see some thief, criminal, child abuser, alcoholic, drug abuse or other character on the TV saying, "Well, you know I did that because I was abused as a child," or "My parents were neglectful".  I think I'm getting old and cranky because I just want to scream, GET OVER YOURSELF AND MAKE THE CHOICE TO BE A BETTER PERSON!

10. When I saw the full body photo vacation photo of myself and realized that I look worse than I ever could have imagined, it puzzled me. I wonder why I have such a disconnect between what my brain thinks I look like and my actual looks? Because if I could connect those two things, maybe I would actually manage to lose some weight.  Or maybe not.  But I sure would like to figure out that disconnect.  Which probably would require some digging and reflection, which I'm tired of right now.

7 comments:

  1. Did you sneak into my brain? I understand so much of this.
    Yes, bacon is the candy bar of meat.
    Yes, eating only when you're hungry is a weird and yet common semse approach. Why do our brains get in the way?
    Yes yes yes, people need to take responsibility for their own actions instead of finding excuses.
    Yes, I find myself standing in the produce section just looking at it thinkiing "I need this but I don't want any of it."

    Very good post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy the Tuesday 10! It's funny, because my sister and I always thought we had the opposite of anorexia, we kept getting bigger and thought we still looked good!

    Until my stomach touched my steering wheel, and I was the only one who drove my car!

    I am kind of the same . . . you can only blame so much on how your life currently is on the past for so long. At some point, you just need to forgive, forget and move on!

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Close the piehole - love it!

    And I so get the disconnect between how you think you look and seeing yourself in pictures - boy did I get some shocks when pictures came back from the developer (you know, back in the olden days when people actually had to use film, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3 is exactly how I am going to lose the weight. I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a riot. Uhm, first of all bacon is a food group in my house (I only eat fish and chicken); my husband and son would probably trade me for a slab, so you can certainly get on the Jewish boat and bring your food group.
    As for stuffing my Piehole just because it's there, why the heck not? Why do dogs lick their b----? Because they can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post!

    I hate it too when people blame their parents or childhood when they use drugs or are a thief. I think you are responsible for your own actions.

    My hub doesn't like fruits either, nothing wrong with that. We can't be all the same, that would be boring too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. checking in on you as we start our rainsoaked thursday

    how did it get to me THURSDAY?!

    Im far behind this week and the only running Ive gotten in thus far is to catch up ;)

    Miz.

    ReplyDelete