Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Best Thing I Ever Did

Today my baby is 31 years old.  Seriously, do I look old enough to have a 31 year old daughter who is an accomplished world traveler?  Who has a Very Important Job and Many People who work for her?

I guess I did something right.

She was such a good baby, and so content. She just had the sweetest disposition. Never really cried - even when her diapers needed a change! Believe it or not, that has translated into her adult life. Most of the time the first words out of people's mouths about her are "She's the sweetest thing!" Next is, "And so smart!" Next usually is, "And she looks just like your husband!" (Which is hilarious considering there is no biological connection there.) But I've told you before they are two peas in a pod conspiring against me... maybe there is something to do with nurture verses nature, eh?

She loves life and lives it to the fullest.  Even when I look back at baby pictures of her, I can see the vibrant, full life she will one day have.


So I celebrate!
 
Closest thing I have to a newborn photo - they didn't do them in the hospital in Zambia.
She's 3 days old.
 
 Christmas 1979 - 2 months old (and look at young,skinny me!)

She's about 6 months old here. We were living in Zambia at the time and my mother had sent a package with this cute pink dress and adorable black patent leather shoes. It's a miracle we got the package as the mail was so unreliable over there. (Obviously, we had a Polaroid back then!). That's young skinny me holding her up so my mom could get the full effect.


Happy 1st Birthday!

Happy 3rd Birthday!

3 yrs. old Christmas 1982 in the program at her daycare center

 Kindergarten

Happy 6th Birthday!

 First day of Fourth Grade

8th Grade Graduation Dance 

 Around 16 years old, all dressed up for a Homecoming Dance

Happy 17th Birthday
(this was her last birthday at home... from 18-21 she was away at college) 

With her best friend, Senior Prom night

High School Graduate, Class President, Class Salutorian
"Most Likely to Succeed", "Most Popular" "Best Classmate" 

Got her home because it was a big one.
Happy 21st Birthday!!

2007 Maid of Honor at her BFF's wedding

Dancing with Mr. Helen on our patio

Surprised me and came home for Mother's Day!

Surprised me and came home for my 1970's themed 50th Birthday

Still best friends after all these years 

With Grammy Helen 

 Loving Life!

She's the best thing I ever did people.  If I was never, ever to accomplish anything else in my life, I know I did this One Good Thing by giving the world my daughter.



20 comments:

  1. What a loving and lovely tribute, Helen. Yep, you done really, really good. Way to go, Mom. PS - I feel the exact same way about my girl. if I never do another right thing in my life, for some reason, I got lucky and got that part right. Looks like you did, too.

    And of course you look way too young to have a daughter of that age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...Beautiful photos, Helen :) And happy birthday to your daughter! You girls look like you could be sisters <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute - I hope Jennifer will read this and know how much you love and adore her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a father of three daughters, this post choked me up a little. Congrats on doing such a fantastic job raising such a strong, smart and beautiful young woman. 31? You must have had her when you were 11...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww happy birthday to your daughter. What beautiful pictures!! I love looking at pics. And no, you do NOT look old enough for having a 31 yr old lol. That's a good thing :) My dad is my adopted dad and I swear sometimes I see my kids in him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You both are truly blessed to have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Happy Birthday! She is beautiful Helen and I enjoyed seeing her photos. Being a mom is the best thing ever!

    I agree you don't look old enough to have a daughter this age!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The minute I read your title in the blog roll I knew it was going to be about your daughter. Happy day to both of you - she made you a mom, and you helped her become the amazing young woman she is today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your daughter, the best 'thing' you ever did.
    She is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter! I'd definately say you've gone over and beyond your calling to be one terrific Mom to your daughter!

    Nah, I don't think that you look old enough to have a 31 year old daughter!

    Have a great day!

    Blessings,
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. How awesome! Lovely story and wonderful memories! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter...

    This post brought tears to my eyes. I'll tell you why sometime when I see you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is beautiful and happy. Wonderful job Mom, and wonderful Job DD. As you know, I believe in tooting my daughter's horn and so love love love this post. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday to your daughter! You are both very lucky :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to your daughter and what an excellent job you did on this post in her honor!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwwww, Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter.

    Boy, she is going to kill you for posting some of those for people to see. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is beautiful like her mom. Favorite pix: Homecoming in white dress, so pretty would not have let her out of the house, 1st and 6th bdays, w/ Mr. H. and the last one.
    Zambia? What the heck??? Do share.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday to her!!! And honestly, what an incredible tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awwwww, I remember when she surprised you by coming all the way. What a beautiful, beautiful tribute, Helen. And Happy Birthday to your angel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm reading this for the first time and I got totally choked up. Oh, geez, tears and stuff. Such a sweet tribute. I'm late but Happy Birthday to your baby girl. You done good, momma. :)

    ReplyDelete