Friday, October 15, 2010

Coming Out of the Mine

Last week during all the fuss about a Marie Claire article and the "Big Six" bloggers I came across Caitlin's blog Healthy Tipping Point for the very first time. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, surf around and you'll find out, I'm not explaining it here).  In the post I happened upon she had photos up of a casserole that she had downsized into individual sized instead of a big one. It sounded good so I clicked on her Recipe Link to check it out. Then I was all like, "Holy Crap! I can modify this a bit and it will fit my eating plan!" So I did, and may I just say YUM. I have been all over it this week, eating it as a side dish sprinkled with Cholula Hot Sauce one day, and having it as my "main" for lunch where I sprinkled chopped avocado on it. Let me say it again. YUM.

I should have a photo here for you but I forgot and we ate it all gone. If you want to see the original recipe, go to Caitlin's blog. Here is my version:

Caitlin's Santa Fe Casserole, Revisited

1/2 cup red onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic. minced
1/2 large green pepper, chopped
1/2 tablespoon EVOO
Pinch of salt
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tsp. pepper
1 cup canned red beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup Egg Beaters
1 and 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 and 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese (I used Cabot's 50% reduced fat cheddar)

Heat oven to 350. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.

1. In a skillet, cookd the onion, garlic and green pepper in the olive oil until tender.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the Egg Beaters, Milk, salt, chili powder and pepper.

3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the rice, beans and cheese, Stir in the onion mixture

4. Pour the egg beater mixture over and combine well.

5. Put into the prepared casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes or until the casserole is firm in the center.

Let sit 5 minutes before serving.

In my opinion, this made about 4 servings (but maybe they're lady like servings):

Calories: 287.7 ; Total Fat: 9.3 g ; Cholesterol: 23.7 mg ; Sodium: 386.5 mg ; Total Carbs: 32.3 g ; Dietary Fiber: 5.8 g ; Protein: 22.7 g

I also doubled the entire casserole, except for the wet ingredients (because 1 cup of dried rice makes 3 cups cooked). At step 3, prior to adding the wet ingredients, I took half of it and put it in a freezer bag and froze it. So next time all I have to do is whisk up the wet ingredients and bake it off. Gotta love saving time.

Next time, I am going to try adding green chilies and black olives.  Personally, I would like it a bit spicier but that would be a no go for the other person who eats at my house (meaning, I would really like to add some jalapenos too!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By now you're wondering where this blog title came from?  So glad it's Friday today.  It has felt like an interminably long week for no apparent reason and I literally feel like I'm coming out of the mine.  I want to chant FRI-DAY! FRI-DAY! FRI-DAY!  That's how much I'm ready for it to be 4:30 so I can start my weekend.

I have decided that we are going to take our foliage drive tomorrow if at all possible.  I like it when there are still some green trees because I think it makes the ones that have turned stand out.

Which means that I'll need help getting some things done around our house.  I am going to take Kristen's and Lori's suggestions and tonight when I go home, "tell" Mr. Helen what I need him to do.  Wish me luck.

I also need to get in a long run tomorrow, which should be very interesting.  We had a 'noreaster come through overnight and the transition today and tomorrow is bringing very high winds.  Gusts of up to 50 miles an hour expected tomorrow.  When you're running, not only can that knock the breath out of you, it can also knock you over.  Which I know from experience because one time I did a 20 mile training run in a hurricane. 

Have a great weekend all.

10 comments:

  1. Been a fan of Caitlin for a while, if you get a chance, take a look at her book Operation Beautiful. My daughter and I like to sit in bookstores and read books. I was reading that one and it was so good that I bought it.
    Trying to get my sweat on, I am truthfully waiting until bkfst digests and then will probably run, or Shred. Committed to doing at least one.
    Have a nice drive, my dad use to shlepp us up to NH to see the "foliage", he was from the South and would drawl out the word......we were SO bored!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow another great sounding recipe - I'm going to have to print that one out and give it a try! Thanks for the link to Caitlin - going to have to check that out.

    Our weather is changing today as well and bringing a lot of wind but I must say I've never even walked in a hurricane nevermind tried running in one - OK I've never even been NEAR a hurricane :)
    Keep warm and enjoy your drive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What size casserole dish did you use? That sounds great, and I like your freezer idea!

    Running in wind sounds hard, and holy crap, you ran in a hurricane? Badass!!! Are you going to run 10 miles tomorrow?

    Enjoy your leaf-viewing. I will look out at my dead oak leafs...they go from green to brown, no pretty colors.

    And I hope Mr. Helen takes his task list well...hold your ground so you BOTH have an enjoyable weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I experienced running into the wind for the first time two weeks ago. It rips the breath right out of you. I felt like I was suffocating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sans the onions, and adding pickled jalapenos, I will have to give that one a try! I haven't read Caitlin's blog in a while.

    Hooray for finding your voice! Anxious to see how it all works out for you!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMM yum! I love cooking anything in a casserole dish. What a great idea to slice avocado. I have a great avocado salad that I will have to post. Have a great weekend and I hope 4:30pm gets here quickly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love having a new blog to check out - sounds interesting, and that recipe is right up my alley.

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend with lots of help from the "other house members".

    ReplyDelete
  8. A foliage drive? Oh wow, that sounds like a dream come true to me. You know that there's very little in the way of fall colours in the African bush - one day when I'm all growed up I'm going to visit a place with LOTS of fall colours, too! Enjoy, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That does sound good! I could totally eat that and it's great that you can vary the ingredients to suit your tastes.

    My son went to homecoming last weekend and he and his friends went out to dinner beforehand. He said they had jalepeno pizza and he loved it! I didn't even know he liked that, so I would add jalepenos for him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. checking in on you from the other side of the weekend.
    back from my travels...and wondering how your run went?

    Im not running yet....still babying the back.


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete