Monday, October 25, 2010

His & Hers

I really enjoyed my do nothing weekend, spending most of it in recovery from the 12 mile run I did Saturday.  Good excuse to hang around the house without makeup and alternate between getting some chores done and plain old relaxation.

Yesterday as usual, I was menu planning and doing some cooking for the upcoming week.   I'm blessed because Mr. Helen is pretty easy going when it comes to our eating so I get to pick our weekly menus.  I am fortunate to have a full size freezer so if I haven't purchased anything while grocery shopping, I go shop there to figure out what to eat.  When I got to the freezer I saw that for some reason we had an abundance of ground beef.  So I decided to make a good old fashioned meatloaf for dinner. Mr. Helen
l-o-v-e-s meatloaf so I knew he would be happy when he came through the door and smelled that cooking.

Only problem is, ground beef would be considered a splurge food for me right now, so I needed to come up with an alternate for myself.  I then spied a package of ground chicken breast and immediately decided I would have meatloaf too - buffalo chicken meatloaf!  This recipe originated from one of the Biggest Loser Cookbooks and I vary it according to my taste on the day that I make it.  It's really yummy with all the flavors of buffalo chicken wings without all the calories and fat.

The great thing about this meal is that it really wasn't any trouble at all to adapt this menu to make the His and Hers meatloaves, because I served the same sides:  twice baked potatoes (made with low fat cheese) and garlic green beans. (Well, he also got homemade beef gravy and homemade buttermilk biscuits.)  Here is this week's version:

Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf

1/2 cup skim milk
2/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 pound ground chicken breast
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup shredded carrot
2 egg whites, whisked a bit
4 T Cayenne Pepper Sauce (like Frank's Red Hot), divided
1/2 cup reduced fat blue cheese crumbles

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 5 x 3 bread pan with olive oil spray.

Put skim milk and oats in a bowl. Stir and let sit to soften, about 3 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the chicken breast, onion, celery, carrot, egg whites and 2T hot sauce. Add in oats and mix well. Gently stir in blue cheese crumbles. This mixture will be quite wet!

Put mixture into the prepared bread pan and smooth top. Brush remaining 2T hot sauce on the top. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until set.

Makes 4 servings.

207 calories, 4.1g fat (2 saturated), 63 mg cholesterol, 918mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate, 2.7g fiber, 27.7 g protein.


Here is a picture of it all ready to go into the oven


A picture of my plate!


17 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe Helen. As I was reading your post, I was thinking I could do his and her versions as well but then I got thinking that Mr. Sandra needs to eat the same way as I do so I could get away with one version right now. He might not like it but he will adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO going to make this! And guess what...I've never made meatloaf...ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!
    I love the His and Hers. I do Mine and Theirs.
    When I saw your title I thought "I already read this" then I realized you had told me in the comments.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome recipe. I'm doing this THIS week for sure! I love blue cheese, too and I imagine that makes the flavor great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was JUST perusing my meatloaf recipes on Saturday afternoon. I still have leftovers from last week, so I didn't do much cooking this weekend, but meatloaf is coming up on the menu. I'll certainly put this one in the rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great looking dinner! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of Buffalo chicken meatloaf! Definitely going to try this in a couple of weeks.

    I'm quite impressed that you did ANYTHING after running 12 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Helen, I'm new to your blog and not sure which are our mutual blog friends got me here! I've really enjoyed reading backwards and getting acquainted with you. I loved the recipe in today's post and the pics of your scenic drive over the weekend. I will enjoy getting caught up with your story from the beginning. You write nicely! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried meatloaf made with ground chicken, but since I love meatloaf and chicken, I'll try this!

    I gave you an award HERE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummie when can I come over for dinner?

    I always decide what we eat as I do all the cooking and the shopping over here.

    We often have his and hers versions when it comes to vegetables. I love almost every vegetable but the hub doesn't which means I often cook two kind of vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I am all about the buffalo sauce :D

    My DH and I cook together and we do a his/hers version of things. Like we will have chicken, but he will fry his and I will grill mine LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. His and hers meatloaves, what a great idea! I too like meatloaf with a baked potato and green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm opposed to any food that has the word "load" in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! I don't know whether I'm more impressed that you did this after running 12 miles or that you made that man of yours homemade buttermilk biscuits and didn't have any! That is hard-core! I'm not strong enough to pass up biscuits - double yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh, my internet was down all day - I feel so out of the loop!

    You had me at buffalo chicken meatloaf - maybe then I'll like meatloaf!

    Glad you got some relaxing in too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooooo comfort food.
    so glad youre running again.
    Im hoping to join you this, uh, decade :

    ReplyDelete
  17. His and hers meatloaves is absolutely GENIUS! We love meatloaf in our house in many variations. I will try that idea someday, thank you!

    ReplyDelete