Monday, November 1, 2010

The Places You Could Go

I love new beginnings, fresh starts, day ones.  I think we all do to some extent.  I’m feeling particularly hopeful today and I’m wondering if it’s the convergence of November 1st falling on a Monday.  Like it’s a completely new, clean slate.  My day/week/month to do whatever I want to with…

This got me to thinking about all the people who start falling apart around Halloween and just don’t/won’t/can’t get it together so today, instead of approaching this month with tenacity, they give up until January 1st.

Just think, if you start or restart or restart again, TODAY, you could accomplish so much in the next 61 days!  Or if that seems like too long of a haul to contemplate, what if you broke it down into smaller segments, like I do when I run more than 10 miles?  What could you accomplish if you committed to being your best self and working what ever plan you’re following for just this month.  Even if you took Thanksgiving “off” and worked it for 29 days instead of 30, what would you have accomplished? Then what if you did that again in December?  Even if you took Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day “off” where would you be after 28 days of being the best you possible?

For one thing, you’d be 57-61 days closer to whatever goal you’ve set than if you wait until January 1st.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


In my never ending quest to figure out how to incorporate variety in my diet and to actually have some beef once in a while, last week I came up with a beef and broccoli stirfry that knocked Mr. Helen’s socks off.  This man does not pack a lunch – ever.  Since he works in a Naval Commissary, he usually goes over to the deli and eats whatever sandwich they’re sampling that day.  He loved this so much he took it for lunch on the days when he was going to be at Karate/Muay Thai for 3 straight hours.  That convinced me to share the recipe with you.

Beef and Broccoli Stirfry

1 pound boneless top sirloin
1 cup beef broth
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1 T corn starch
2 tsp. dark sesame oil
1 T grated fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups broccoli florets
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1 cup julienned carrots
Trim any excess fat from sirloin then cut diagonally across the grain into very thin slices. If you want to get them paper thin, throw it in the freezer for a few minutes before slicing.  It turns the outside of the meat a little dark but doesn't harm it and makes it so much easier to slice!  Like this:


Chop all your other vegetables and get them ready for the stirfry, like this:





Combine the broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir until cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside.
Heat 1 tsp. sesame oil over high heat in a large nonstick skillet or wok. Add the ginger and garlic, stir-fry for a minute. Add beef, stir fry for 5 minutes or until pink is gone. Remove from wok and set aside.
Add remaining 1 tsp. of oil to wok then add broccoli, onion, and carrots. Stirfry for 7 minutes or until veggies are crisp-tender. Return beef to wok and stir in beef broth mixture. Saute 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
Serve over rice.

The little "dots" in this photo are red pepper flakes because I like my food spicy!

Makes 4 huge servings, or 6 smaller ones. Based on 4 servings:
Calories: 330.1
Total Fat: 12.0 g
Cholesterol: 102.1 mg
Sodium: 840.1 mg
Total Carbs: 15.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.4 g
Protein: 39.7 g

  

13 comments:

  1. So those are carrots and not French fries? Sounds yummy. I have come to the conclusion that I am tired of my same old lunch - the spinach salad. It's time for something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that Nov. 1 is a new start and it's a Monday! It couldn't be more perfect. :)

    I also like that recipe. I've actually been adding a little beef back in my diet. I think having beef a couple times a month isn't going to kill me. Plus, woman can't live by chicken breast and fish alone. I'm going to give this recipe a try this week. I always use top sirloin from Costco. I remember on the South Beach Diet they said if you're going to eat beef, this one was the best cut for being tastiest and least amount of fat (and I love it, of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious!

    Your post reminds me of my WW leader a few years ago. We don't have Halloween and Thanksgiving but we do have a children's holiday called "Sinterklaas" that includes as much candy as Halloween does. This is in December. So she used to say: you have no excuse to let yourself go in December, after all there are only 4 days that are a holiday and you still got 27 days left to eat healthy. This is the one thing I have never forgot of my WW meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, today is a great day for a new start and a new outlook on the future!
    And that recipe looks delish and something I'm going to have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree! Much can be accomplished in the remaining two months of the year & I am determined to finish strong.

    The recipe looks yummy! Our commissary sells packages of carrots cut to match stick size, so I'm thinking I could "cheat" on the prep time a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since your hubby ate all of your stir-fry, I guess i will wait and see if Diana, will send me some, since she is making it this week. It does look very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woot!! I am so into this! You tell 'em Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe Helen that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Helen--you and I made broccoli beef in the same week. Also pretty rare for me to have beef, also trying to add a little more in once in a while. The recipes are pretty similar, but I think I like yours better. A little simpler, and has the scallions instead of a regular onion. I'll try it next time the mood strikes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. DROOL.

    well, sans-flakes Id drool :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could start today, right? Even if it's Tues and the 2nd and I've had my head in Halloween crap and up my butt for days. I could treat my body nicely, and fit into the dress that I finally tried on today that I need on Nov. 20, that is not fitting as nicely as it did last month. I am sad, sad about the choices I make.
    I love Mr. H!! He loves you!! It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, that's the philosophy I am going with in starting my diet now rather than January!

    ReplyDelete