Monday, November 15, 2010

Seeking Comfort, Part 2

We are having some unseasonably warm weather here in the Northeast, which I have been happy about, especially since Minneapolis got a foot of snow over the weekend.  I ran for the third day in a row this morning - got to get those runs in while the weather cooperates.  Although my run this morning was in the dark and not in the lovely warm sunshine like on Saturday and Sunday.   And I was super slow.  In fact all three of my runs have been slower than usual.  I'm not surprised though as I find that stress weighs my legs down too.

I have done better with the stress/comfort/carb overload eating over the past few days and I actually found myself craving good vegetables over the weekend. This resulted in roasting asparagus and brussel sprouts and eating some right out of the oven while I was making a couple other dishes for the upcoming week.  It also resulted in trying a recipe for a soup that a friend had given me but I had never gotten around to making.  It is so delicious and satisfying and comforting, I just knew I needed to share it.

Curried Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Soup

2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced 1/4" thick
2 T curry powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cans light and fat free chicken broth
1 cup water
2 medium (8 oz) sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 cups frozen cauliflower florets
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen cut leaf spinach

Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and carrots, saute until onions are tender. Stir in curry powder and garlic, saute about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover pot and cook for 15 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.

8 servings, 1.5 cups per serving.
Calories: 156.7
Total Fat: 2.7 g
Total Carbs: 28.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 6.5 g
Protein: 5.6 g

The photo looks foggy because of the steam coming up off the soup!



10 comments:

  1. I just started TRYING cauliflower a couple years ago - I missed out for too long! That looks delicious - although I am not that chunky of a person, so I would puree it, but that's just me! :D

    I think you are right about cutting out the alcohol . . .but I loves me a glass of wine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stress really does weigh you down. Glad you are getting those carb cravings under control. It's tough.

    So, how do you roast asparagus? I think I'd like to try that. I remember seeing someone else doing it too9 (Shelley?) but I can't remember how it was done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We finally got cold weather here, and roasted veggies are on the menu this week for sure! I roast asparagus and drizzle it with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper - and you are right, it's so good right out of the oven! Curious as to what you did with your asparagus...

    Glad you got some good running in, even if your legs did feel heavy. At least you were making them move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always snitch some vegetables from the oven while they're roasting. How bad can that be? The soup looks great - gonna print it and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good that soup! When can I come over to taste it?

    A slow run is better than no run! You'll get your speed back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recipe is in Dutch, to be honest: too much work to translate :lol:

    I agree on Modern Family, it's brilliant! We have two episode on Tuesday night as we are a bit behind on you and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just cooked my tail off and thought of you. I want to NOT have to cook again this week w/ all the Bar Mitzvah stuff coming. Turkey taco meat, eggplant/chicpea vegetarian mess, chicken tortilla soup, chicken salad, brown rice. Seriously: done! I did the elliptical this a.m and haven't binged. Hmmm....I wonder where the energy is coming from?
    Sorry your legs are moving slower, but so glad they ARE moving! I hope your stress begins to subside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good Helen. I need to get back on the wagon after all that stress was all I needed to jump off it. I think I'm gonna light me with Leslie's new fire, and stoke it with your soup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. xo xo xo xo

    hugs and normalizing from another tired sugarcraving mama :)

    ReplyDelete