Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tuesday Three, Because That's Long Enough

Regular readers know I am a summer lover. You can then imagine how I felt when I woke up yesterday morning to snow. Albeit just an inch or so, it was enough to delay schools and make driving to work really crappy. And no. I did not think it was pretty. This is the earliest I can remember us getting even a dusting. I’m sure you can only imagine my mood as it stayed wet, windy and cold all day. I pretty much spent the day fantasizing about winning the Powerball and moving far, far away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This little episode brought to you courtesy of Pay Attention!

Sunday I was in my freezer and noticed I had some frozen pizza dough. I decided to take it out and use it to make some breakfast pizzas this week. Monday morning, I broke off a piece of the dough and it felt weird, not like my usual dough. Odd. I actually ended up rolling the dough out a bit because it wouldn’t stretch properly. Baked it a bit, then brought it to work with the toppings I wanted to finish it off. It never did rise. I bit into it and it tasted good. Really good. But different from my pizza dough in a way I couldn’t quite put my finger on. I sat at my desk eating my pizza trying to remember what dough recipe I’d used (because I’ve been experimenting as I have never found one that I just love). Thought, “Well I need to figure this out because this dough did not take to the freezer well even though it tastes really really good.” Just as I was taking the last couple of bites of the pizza, I realized why the damn dough tasted so good. Because I had used pie crust dough. For crying out loud. I probably ate the equivalent of a couple pieces of pie crust. Gah. Pay Attention!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’ll be running in our local Turkey Trot & Dip this year. (Yes, I said “dip”). For reasons foreign to me, people run into the water at the end. I have no need to cool down because it’s usually only around 35 degrees. While I generally get up and run on Thanksgiving Day, I usually don’t run this event, because it means getting up and out and driving 10 miles to get to it. But, it’s being held in memory of my brother-in-law this year and benefiting Jacob & Gracie’s scholarship fund, so how could I not? I have to say that this is a genuine Trot. There is not one “racey” thing about it… no timing, no pressure, a big basket raffle afterwards, and if you switch from the 3 mile trot to the 1 mile walk nobody knows or cares because everyone pays the same fee! The two moms – mine and Gary’s, both in their 70s - are doing the one mile walk. I overheard them talking about it and you’d think they were training for a full marathon. Mom keeps talking about how she’s trying to put in some extra time at “The Curves” (yes, that’s what she calls it) so that she’s in better shape. This will be the first time that Mr. Helen, Little Helen and I have all run together. Considering that I’ve already eaten half a pie’s worth of pie crust a full two weeks before Thanksgiving, I probably should commit to running the 3 miles as fast as I can. You think?

17 comments:

  1. Hilarious about the pie crust. So your had a breakfast tart instead of pizza. I got a great chuckle out of this.

    I just did a 5K walk/run on Sunday I was going to post bout but got sidetracked by my binge lust and have back burnered it. I love walking/running/moving in events like that.

    Also, how cute your mom calls it "the Curves". That's like a friend of mind who calls Walmart "Walmarts".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that pizza was FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cracking up. I KNEW it was pie crust as you were writing. And, The Curves!! And the moms are like training for a marathon. too funny.
    Are you going to do the dip? Those crazy people that do those Polar Clubs on New Year's Day....are you one of them? YOU JUST SAID YOU LOVE SUMMER!!!!
    The Curves...I'll be giggling at that all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Curves has me busting a gut this morning...and how darn cute that the moms are taking their training so seriously. Who knows - they may get hooked on this whole "the running" thing!

    Pie crust - now THAT is funny. It was truly a pizza pie!

    Sorry about the snow. Want to move to Maui with me? I am SO there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, that kills! I was about to suggest that the longer you have pizza dough, the more the gluten works and my pizza from day one to day 14 are very different - but both good!

    My MIL calls Burger King "The Whopper!"

    Our temps are pushing 70 today - that's 20 degrees above normal for Chicago!

    (I'd still think the snow was pretty though!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The Curves" is beyond adorable. I would totally love a pie crust on anything. I think anything could be improved dramatically by being wrapped in pie crust and/or bacon. Might explain why I have a weight problem!

    What fun to have all The Helens together for a run. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pie crust pizza sounds divine. Wow what a concept. I think I'd use the cinnamon and sugar as pizza topping.

    "The Curves" is what they should have called the place.

    I might try a turkey trot this Thanksgiving too. My version is to find a turkey and feed it pie crust pizza until it has diarrhea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like something I would do! My mom had been buying a frozen pizza that she was telling me about and how the whole pizza was only 6 points and so filling. Well I questioned how that could be and when she re read the box she discovered it was actually 3 servings per pizza! Then she knew why she hadn't lost any weight since she had started buying that pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Helen...
    How I have missed ready your blog!! By the way, I too, will be running in a Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot. One more thing, you look great!!! What a great picture on your blog. Wait...one more thing, thanks for your vote of confidence for my goal...I'm pumped!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pizza :) That's cute... and likely something I would do for sure.
    And by the way, love the profile picture. You've probably had it up for ages but I'm so far behind in reading my blogs I may have missed it. It's a lovely pic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pizza pie for sure. Kind of like a chicago deep dish style crust. Flaky and buttery...

    We must live somewhere in the same vicinity because we had some snow as well yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just remember, we're laughing WITH you, not AT you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate winter too.. so glad we are still having warm temps here, but the cold is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cold weather, new snow and the time zone change has me in a silent uproar here in Indiana. I'm ready for bed by 5:30 in the evening!
    Breakfast pie sounds pretty fantastic to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. and DIP?!
    those people crazy.
    :)
    how about a run and....SWADDLE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bwahahahaha, oh you just made my whole day, from the pie crust pizza to The Curves. I say go in and just enjoy the Trot for the family outing it is, and don't think about running for real for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No wonder it tasted so good :)

    Love it how your Mom talks about the race. This must be a fun one for you, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete