Thursday, December 9, 2010

Outrage!

A few months ago I was having a conversation with KCL Anderson about weight and how we put so much emotional weight into our physical weight. My sister-in-law had just passed away and I was speaking about how at one time she’d been almost underweight, eating very little and exercising a lot. After getting her ovarian cancer diagnosis, she began to eat real food and naturally gained weight, with her body settling in where it wanted to be. It took her a while to reconcile herself to that but eventually she did and the thing is, she was never overweight at 5’10” and 175 pounds, she always looked fit and trim. I went on to say to Karen that ultimately, we did not care at all how much she weighed when she died, we only cared for Pam and the loss. Then I made a joke and said, “It’s not like our tombstones will have our birth and death weights on them along with our dates. You know like 7 lbs., 9 oz – 175 pounds!” We actually chuckled over that and the conversation was definitely a point of growth for me.

Yesterday, I found out that my joke was not such a joke after all - the Washington Post in their original obituary of Elizabeth Edwards referred to her weight several times. The original obituary has since been (thankfully) edited, but here is the blog that brought my attention to this whole disgusting situation.

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/amanda-hess/2010/12/elizabeth-edwards-body-in-life-and-death-5669.html

How sad is it that this woman could not even have the dignity of her death left intact with an obituary that her children would cherish.

I am outraged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just LOVED the comments on this week's Tuesday Ten!  Thank you so much for sharing your holiday memories with me. A couple of you have also commented that my sharing is putting some spirit in your Christmas, so I'm happy for that.  If you haven't guessed yet, Christmas is my favorite holiday.

Therefore, in continuing effort to spread the cheer, here are today's Holiday Extravaganza Photos!

Miz, because of your comment, this photo is for you.  I wanted to give you the tree and lights you always wanted.  You have an honorary Hanukkah Tree in Connecticut.  This year when my office put up the tree a decision was made to change the color scheme and the ornaments (they've been burgundy and gold for years).  The first words out of my mouth when I walked downstairs and saw it was, "We have a Hanukkah Tree!  Ron would be so proud!"  (Ron was my boss who passed last year... he had many, many Jewish friends and always made me go out and find blue paper for the gifts he chose to give them during the holiday season.) Enjoy!

I thought you might like to see some of the other decorations around my home... and believe it or not, I used restraint this year!

Another Nativity that I got on clearance for $10 at a Hallmark store!

As I was walking around the house taking photos of things, I realized I tend to put all my Santas in one place, all my nativities or religious stuff in another. I wonder why I do that? Like Santa can't be near Baby Jesus!

A shot of my kitchen window where many of my Santas sit.


Here's a closeup of the one on the right - it's a lamp and another clearance bargain.


But I have this one piece that I always put somewhere alone... because it sort of messes up my plan of keeping secular Christmas away from holy Christmas...


Another piece made by one of Mama Helen's pottery throwing friends...



It's one of my favorites!



14 comments:

  1. I do the same thing with my Santa's, and rather than Nativity scenes, I have Angels. I noticed last weekend I have all the Angels together and all the Santa's in another part of the house. So I walked around and moved the Santa's in with the Angels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad about Elizabeth Edwards. She did and went through too much to have her weight be an issue even in death.

    The Hannukah tree is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know what to say about that obituary. That's obscene.

    And when I plugged in my little tree last night, I thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing "Christmas at Helen's"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so crazy about Elizabeth Edwards - I had no idea, what a shame.

    I love, love, love the Santa with Baby Jesus!

    I still haven't decorated yet - I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I am literally LOLing at the Santa and baby Jesus statue! You slay me! :)

    Love your holiday pictures and how you have everything in its place.

    And as for Elizabeth Edwards? Sigh. No words. Just a head shake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for bringing more light to the world...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the santa with jesus...that is cute. As for some skank downing Elizabeth edwards in an obituary....well, let's put it this way.
    one lady writes obituaries, and one lady was a lawyer, a mother and a class act. That says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know who Elizabeth Edwards was but read about her on the People site which I have in my reader. I think that blog is a shame, the person who wrote that should be ashamed, you don't write that.

    I love your decorations!

    About the burrito: yes it was a bit huge, I didn't eat it all and we didn't share :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helen,
    I've missed ya!!! You're exactly right about the Elizabeth Edwards outrage. That is terrible. The nerve. On a more positive note, I love your decorations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Lord. I had not read anything weight-related in any of her obituaries before this; how horrifying and unnecessary. The worst thing is, I would never EVER have categorized her or considered her to be overweight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here in Texas, we call that tree and ornament stuff
    "Precious Sweet!"....
    Cuz it is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the E.E. thing made me crazy. sad. angry. shocked.
    I still cannot believe it was in print.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darn, Helen. You're going to put me in a Christmas mood yet!

    ReplyDelete