Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tuesday Ten

10.  I'm nursing a pretty bad injury right now.  It's frustrating me to no end.  I have a Piriformis Syndrome for sure and also seem to have an irritated IT Band. The orthopedist that I saw last week said it was probably caused from having a sedentary job and then exercising vigorously. Evidently my hip flexors are weak from sitting too much.  He thinks the piriformis got so inflamed it started inflammation in the IT band because the pirformis hooks into the hip right where the IT band starts.  Sigh.   I discovered that running does not irritate it at all and almost everything I do in Muay Thai flares it up... all those crazy sprawls and ninja pushups.

9.  How did I discover that?  Because I tested for my Blue Belt in Muay Thai last Wednesday and since that night I've had non-stop pain in my hip and gluteous medius. Heat, ice, stretching, rolling, Aleve, Motrin, and Vicodin are not giving me any relief.  Feel bad for me yet?

8.  Mr. Helen caught a stomach bug and was sick from the wee hours of 1 am on Thursday to the afternoon at 5 p.m.  He lost 9 pounds.  Are you freaking kidding me?  NINE POUNDS in 16 hours?  I told my friend if it had been me that got the bug I probably would have lost 2 - if I was lucky.

7.  This bug resulted in a major freak out on my part as I host Christmas Day.  I absolutely had NO TIME to be sick! I left him and his germs at home and went to work. When I came back into the house 8 hours later,  I walked in Lysol first, spraying away.  I'm not kidding.  I then isolated him in the bedroom with some liquids and anti-nausea meds and proceeded to scrub down almost the entire house.  Not exactly what  I had planned. To make matters worse, Little Helen was arriving home and I was trying to get everything sanitized before she arrived.

6.  It must have worked because no one got sick.  So, I found out that yes, indeed, I can have something totally take me off track for several hours and I can still get everything I need together, although at one point I thought my head would explode with anxiety about getting it all finished.

5.  On Sunday, we had a blizzard, which ironically didn't leave as much snow on the ground as expected but we had near hurricane force winds.  Freaky.  And stressful.  Sunday was the day we finally spread Pam's ashes.  It was snowing like crazy, and cold.  But we caravanned to the park and threw handfuls of her remains into the air and watched them blow away.  It was time.  My wish is that Mr. Helen's family is now better able to move forward with their grief.

4.  The blizzard gave me an unexpected snow day from work on Monday.  I didn't do one productive thing except clear up a magazine backlog and write this blog.   On the other hand, the doctor did tell me to rest as much as possible this week, along with doing stretches, icing, etc., etc.

3.  All that laying around got me to thinking, which usually is productive in one way or another.  I am amazed at how little time I have to just be quiet and think about things.  Of course one of the things I thought was now that all the hoopla was over,  it's pretty sad when one entertains the idea that maybe it would be OK to get the virus if one could also lose 9 pounds in 16 hours...

2.  Because on Sunday, which was the third day of non-stop partying and indulging, I told my sister-in-law when I step on the scale on December 31st for my annual end of year weight, I fully expect it to sue me for abuse.

1.  But I also thought, why not make 2011 "The Year of Helen."  It's time. 

18 comments:

  1. I'm interested to see what the year of Helen looks like!!! I hope that you get better soon!! There is nothing worse than an injury that causes pain that won't seem to let up....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Helen, I am so sorry that you are ouchy - or beyond ouchy from the sounds of it.

    I love the idea of the Year of Helen! Taking some time to nurture you. You do so much, it's time to apply some of that great care to you. Like Corletta said, I'm anxiously awaiting to see the Year of Helen unfold.

    I hope you get some relief soon.

    And let me ask you the same question that was asked of me recently. Do you really know how to relax? It's a question I'm pondering as we move into 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to the The Year of Helen!!

    Re #7 & 8...I would have been in full freak-out mode too. When I read about it on FB I was in freak-out mode. And it reminds me of that line from The Devil Wears Prada: "I'm just one stomach bug away from goal weight..."

    Re #10...ow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! I sure that heals up fast. The price you pay to be a ninja.

    #5 is heartbreakinng. I'm sorry. :(

    The Year of Helen..is that on the zodiac? ;-) I bet it's going to be a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs - and I'll share the year with you. Ditto on the quiet time and relaxing - it's a lot more work than one would think to establish an ability to quiet and amp down.

    I hope you feel better soon. And how crazy is it that I'm more jealous of your sanctioned Vicodan buzz that Mr. H's 9 lbs. Those lbs will be back in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about your injury, but it does make sense if you sit all day (like I do) and then work out hard. I'll have to be mindful of that and stretch more before working out (which I normally don't do - oops!)

    #3 had me laughing out loud - the though of getting sick to lose weight (I never get sick so that would never happen to me).

    Three cheers for 2011 to be the Year of Helen! I support that 110%!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch on the hip Helen - can totaly relate to your pain. It sounds like the exact same issue I suffer from. I found one tylenol, one advil worked well together to bring the inflamation down, and of course the ice pack.
    When mine flares up, I sit at work with an ice pack along my backside - I've got them in the freezer at work... :)
    But what helped me the most was deep tissue massages in my hip/butt. She really dug deep to loosen the muscles.
    Next year should be the Year of Helen! I support ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had the same issue this past year. A foam roller does awesome things. For me running did help to irritate it. The piriformis would pull my hip out of alignment and then on leg would sit longer than the other, messed up my foot too. My PT was great about showing me tricks to work it out, one being sitting on a tennis ball, stretches and that blasted foam roller. I hope you find a way to cope and it doesn't slow you down too much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I refuse to even weigh before 1/31. I'm that baaaad. 2011 is gonna rock, though! Together, we shall DO IT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the year of Helen. That is a good theme.

    Hope the hip heals fast. Those type of injuries are so annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about your hip injury. I hope you will be back to normal fast. This is a difficult time of year for a lot of reasons, but Jan. 1 is coming, and I, for one, will be grateful for a daily routine. Take care of yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I was at a Chinese restaurant Sunday night and the placemats did say that 2011 was the year of the rabbit. Rabbits are runners, so it makes perfect sense that 2011 is really they year of Helen. :)

    #2 busted me right up. Good thing our scales, unlike Kelly's, can't talk to our computers - otherwise, they'd be emailing each other saying "Girl, she stepped on me today and I liked to have DIED!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Helen. I swear though, I don't know how you were able to make it all come together - you are WonderWoman, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being sick to lose weight, no never, I hate being sick! I really hate the up chuck part and I will do whatever it takes to avoid doing so.

    I do think the year of Helen is in order! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to hear about the year of Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should definitely make 2011 the year of Helen. I would suggest you plan at least 1 day a month where you can do all the things you like to do. Me-time is so important to all of us.

    I hope your injury heals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I SO understand #2, and I SO agree with #1.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are such a good writer, welcome to the Year of Helen!

    ReplyDelete