Tuesday, December 28, 2010
10. I'm nursing a pretty bad injury right now. It's frustrating me to no end. I have a Piriformis Syndrome for sure and also seem to have an irritated IT Band. The orthopedist that I saw last week said it was probably caused from having a sedentary job and then exercising vigorously. Evidently my hip flexors are weak from sitting too much. He thinks the piriformis got so inflamed it started inflammation in the IT band because the pirformis hooks into the hip right where the IT band starts. Sigh. I discovered that running does not irritate it at all and almost everything I do in Muay Thai flares it up... all those crazy sprawls and ninja pushups.
9. How did I discover that? Because I tested for my Blue Belt in Muay Thai last Wednesday and since that night I've had non-stop pain in my hip and gluteous medius. Heat, ice, stretching, rolling, Aleve, Motrin, and Vicodin are not giving me any relief. Feel bad for me yet?
8. Mr. Helen caught a stomach bug and was sick from the wee hours of 1 am on Thursday to the afternoon at 5 p.m. He lost 9 pounds. Are you freaking kidding me? NINE POUNDS in 16 hours? I told my friend if it had been me that got the bug I probably would have lost 2 - if I was lucky.
7. This bug resulted in a major freak out on my part as I host Christmas Day. I absolutely had NO TIME to be sick! I left him and his germs at home and went to work. When I came back into the house 8 hours later, I walked in Lysol first, spraying away. I'm not kidding. I then isolated him in the bedroom with some liquids and anti-nausea meds and proceeded to scrub down almost the entire house. Not exactly what I had planned. To make matters worse, Little Helen was arriving home and I was trying to get everything sanitized before she arrived.
6. It must have worked because no one got sick. So, I found out that yes, indeed, I can have something totally take me off track for several hours and I can still get everything I need together, although at one point I thought my head would explode with anxiety about getting it all finished.
5. On Sunday, we had a blizzard, which ironically didn't leave as much snow on the ground as expected but we had near hurricane force winds. Freaky. And stressful. Sunday was the day we finally spread Pam's ashes. It was snowing like crazy, and cold. But we caravanned to the park and threw handfuls of her remains into the air and watched them blow away. It was time. My wish is that Mr. Helen's family is now better able to move forward with their grief.
4. The blizzard gave me an unexpected snow day from work on Monday. I didn't do one productive thing except clear up a magazine backlog and write this blog. On the other hand, the doctor did tell me to rest as much as possible this week, along with doing stretches, icing, etc., etc.
3. All that laying around got me to thinking, which usually is productive in one way or another. I am amazed at how little time I have to just be quiet and think about things. Of course one of the things I thought was now that all the hoopla was over, it's pretty sad when one entertains the idea that maybe it would be OK to get the virus if one could also lose 9 pounds in 16 hours...
2. Because on Sunday, which was the third day of non-stop partying and indulging, I told my sister-in-law when I step on the scale on December 31st for my annual end of year weight, I fully expect it to sue me for abuse.
1. But I also thought, why not make 2011 "The Year of Helen." It's time.