2. We chose this vacation because we really didn't have a lot of extra cash this year. In fact, after our flooded family room (read: cash to rebuild), Mr. Helen having to purchase some sort of new vehicle (read: cash for down payment), and my sister-in-law's death (read: funeral expenses and 3 airline tickets at the last minute to an expensive 'zone' from where we live), we actually didn't have any "extra" cash.
3. By giving up our Friday night takeout and making some other adjustments, we scraped enough together to drive a couple of hours away. We took wine from our own stash, some food, and every supply we could think of so we wouldn't have to buy much of anything once we got there. Really, all we needed was minimal funds for a week beach pass and a couple "clam shack" style meals out. Doable and worth the R&R we would get out of it.
4. We arrived on Saturday hopeful, excited, looking forward to so many things. Even though it was overcast and humid feeling and cold, the original forecast said all that would end by Monday night. So we would have to deal with a day or so of not great weather. Two hours after we arrived, while we were trying to enjoy a glass of wine on the deck, it started sprinkling. It never stopped and actually got worse. I'm not kidding - it poured rain for 4 straight days.
5. Mr. Helen is known far and wide for his extraordinary patience and outstanding ability to see the glass half full in the face of troublesome circumstances. He's really very good at not reacting. We tried to stick it out because we had rented the cottage for the whole week. Meaning no refunds.
6. On the 3rd day he said, "Enough is enough - if it's still like this tomorrow, let's pack it in and blow this Popsicle stand."
7. We discussed that rather than continue to spend money to stay - if you can't go to the beach, EVERYTHING costs $$ (eating out because we couldn't cook on the grill, trying to find things to entertain us like movies, bowling and museums), we would go home to free entertainment: TV, computer, and already paid for season pass to our own beach ready and waiting when the weather broke.
8. On the 4th day we woke to the hardest rain yet along with a forecast of the 5th day being overcast all day while the storm cleared out, leaving only 1 possible day of sunshine for the entire vacation.
9. A vacation in Cape Cod in a 'Noreaster is no vacation at all. So we cut it short and left.
10. We rolled the vacation dice twice and "crapped out" both times this summer. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.