Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year, Day 1

I completely discounted the whole idea of starting fresh on January 1st. Being that I've been off of work since December 31st AND Mr. Helen has been home with me interrupting sharing every single thing I've tried to do it just wasn't practical.  So I decided on January 1 that today would be the first day of my new year since today would be my back to work, back to routine day.

I'm excited about the new season of the Biggest Loser starting tonight. It seems there are more middle aged folks in this season.  Besides, taping the episode every Tuesday gives me something motivating and good to run to on Wednesday morning when I'm slogging it out on the treadmill.

Food has been good for several days now but I really need to work on portions. Too much of a good thing is still too much. This is easy to do when I'm at work - I simply bring what I should eat and that's that. It will even be easy tonight. By the time I get home from Muay Thai and showered it will be 7:30 before I eat a bite of dinner. So, I've got to work on a strategy for the other times - when there is too much time and food available. Maybe just the fact that Mr. Helen is determined to become Mr. America by the end of 2011 will motivate me to keep my hand out of the cookie jar.

I am still experiencing the pain in my butt and hip but I got permission from both the doctor and the physical therapist to keep exercising. Err, I should say, keep running. Running doesn't bother it at all and they both concluded that it's the rotational aspects of the Muay Thai that is probably irritating it. It hasn't been hard to avoid Muay Thai since the dojo has been closed. They would both prefer if I just don't do it "for a while" but that's too vague for me. The dojo reopened yesterday and I've decided I'm going to go and try to modify the moves so that I'm not rotating on my bad side. For example, I will not do right roundhouses because that rotates the left hip. I'll do front kicks instead. I'm just not willing to not go. At least for now.

I read an article a couple of weeks ago that said a good fitness routine has 3 aspects: cardio, strength training, and functional fitness. I have the cardio and the functional fitness down pat between my running and Muay Thai. It's always been the strength training that has been my achilles' heel. After re-reading parts of Jackie Warner's book, This is Why You're Fat, I decided I would try to incorporate her power circuit in the New Year. It seemed doable (if I exercised that willpower thing) and she claims it only takes 30 minutes, 3 days a week.

I got up this morning and did walk/jog intervals on the TM for 20 minutes to warm up followed by Routine A. You do each exercise for 1 set and go straight through the routine, then repeat the routine twice for a total of 3 sets of each exercise.  In 30 minutes? In whose world?  No, nope, no way, no way in heaven or hell!  I skipped the things I will do at Muay Thai tonight (ab work, squats, pushups) in favor of concentrating on the other exercises with weights and I only got through 1 set in 22 minutes. So maybe 30 minutes if I did every single execise once.  My plan was to do the three different routines alternating them on T, Th, Su but evidently Sunday will be the only day I will have the time to get through the thing 3 times.  Yikes.  I was frustrated and now you know why I give up on stupid strength training so easily!  I don't want to spend 1 1/2 hours lifting weights. You guys know how much I love running and I don't even spend that amount of time running on a weekday! Gah.

10 comments:

  1. That's one thing I am lacking too is strength training, although I do get sore doing Jillian's 30 day shred. I'll have to see if my library has that Jackie Warner book.

    Day two and I got my ass out of bed to work out - woot! Have a great day Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strength training is so important. I know it's not fun though. I'm the worst about starting and stopping it. But I am willing to make myself do it until I like it. :)

    I just ordered that Jackie Warner book. Can't wait to read it.

    You and Mr Helen are very active. I'd hate to be on your bad side if you were handing out *ss kickings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is crazy for strength training to last so long - maybe break it up into certain body parts per session, and have a 20 or 30 minute time limit?

    I'm crossing my fingers for you that you don't aggravate your hip tonight at MT. Toes, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. America 2011? I want front row seats!
    I got the 30 Day Shred when Syl was handing out challenges and I liked it because in 20 min. I got some strenth training in, although it wasn't all weights. Happy for Loser too...middle aged? I guess that is where I fall too....ugh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take to heart your remark about portions: "Too much of a good thing is still too much."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can Pilates be seen as functional fitness? If so and I start strenght tomorrow I've tackled it all.

    I didn't start on January 1st either but yesterday when I got back to work.

    Tomorrow something like the biggest loser starts here on Dutch television. Don't know if I'm going to watch it because they use someone who wrote a diet book which I can't support because it's a diet. The contestants will use his program. But maybe I just watch the first episode to see if I like it. If they have a lot of exercising tips it might be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet it will get more efficient after a while! I hope so.

    I hear you on the Mr. front. I just can't get any real blogging done with him popping in and out! Here's to 'back to work'! ;) and loving our men... <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love lifting! The max I *ever* lift for is 45 minutes. I do full body 3 times a week. The longer workouts are the ones that include planks, just because you hold them.

    If you want any ST tips, just let me know - or snag some of my workouts. I have videos of a lot of the moves as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last time I tried Jillian Michael's 30 day shred (which I consider strength training ) I laid on the carpet after 20 minutes and cried. Hrmph. But I ran tonight. And that means the world to me. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh no!
    you were my buttFREEofPAIN'spiration.

    sorry youve still got it too.

    ReplyDelete