Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pancakes and Polenta

Look familiar?


  • Yep, those are my footprints once again heading for the treadmill.
    We are in the midst of a monster storm...
    20+ inches predicted for right where I live...
    When I got to the garage, I turned around and took this photo.

    We'd gotten about 9" overnight

    More is on the way...

    My run was GREAT!  5.01 miles in 52 minutes!!! That's a 10:22/mile pace - WOOT!

    When I came out of the garage, I saw that I had my own
    Abominable Snowman starting to clear the driveway.
    That will be his 3 hour workout today!

    So I figured he'd want carbs and comfort.



    The family room is cozy and this little fireplace lets us keep the thermostat upstairs set on 68.

    And we have plenty of comfort food.
    You know all that food I made over the weekend?
    There are leftovers! So I don't even have to do any cooking today!

    I'm going to enjoy my "bonus" day off... catch up on that magazine reading
    because I don't want Janell to think I'm hoarding!

    Did I hear you say you want to have some comfort food too?  Well then, try this fabulous recipe. I started with a recipe then changed it so much, it became a Helen original.

    Vegetarian Polenta Lasagna

    18 oz. polenta, cut into 18 slices
    3 1/2 cups marinara sauce, divided
    1 tsp. olive oil
    8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
    3 cups diced zucchini
    6 oz. part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided

    Preheat oven to 400. 
    Measure out 1 cup marinara sauce and set aside.

    In a large skillet, heat olive oil and saute mushrooms, zucchini and red pepper for about 2 minutes until they begin to soften.  Pour remaining 2 1/2 cups marinara sauce over, bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

    In an 8x8 baking dish, spread reserved 1 cup marinara sauce to cover bottom of pan.

    Layer 9 polenta slices over the marina.  Top with half the veggie-marina mixture then sprinkle with half the mozzarella.  Repeat the layers.

    Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted on top.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

    Makes 6 servings.

    Per serving: 204 calories, 6.5g fat, 16.4 mg cholesterol, 537.4 mg sodium, 25g carbohydrates, 4.2g fiber, 12.3g protein.

    Notes: I used my own homemade marinara sauce to make this.  If anyone wants that recipe, email me and I'll send it to you.  Nutrition is based on using my marinara.

    I thought this was the perfect amount of cheese but Mr. Helen ended up sprinkling his with Parmesan.  You might like that too.

    Enjoy!



10 comments:

  1. Yum to the lasagna and double yum on those pumpkin pancakes.

    Can not even imagine that much snow. It would totally close down Houston. People wouldn't know what to do!

    Can you use a leaf blower to get the snow off the drive and sidewalk? I don't know anything about snow removal. Seems like a lot of work. But good exercise!

    Keep warm over there. I think your fireplace/stove is adorable. Would like to have one of those in my bedroom.

    OH, and fantastic (!!!) job on the run! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only question is: Do you deliver? Yummy!

    Great job on the run! Stay warm up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would eat the whole batch of pumpkin pancakes. The pic of the bite on the fork shiny with syrup was almost enough to kick me off WW! No really - I just kept thinking "clementines, apples and 'nanas, oh my!

    I have never used polenta. I may try your lasagna recipe because the stats are great.

    We got about 6 inches of the weather bomb - but at least got an unexpected 2 hour work delay. Stay warm and cozy and enjoy the mags - I love me some magazine reading. Oh - thanks for the rec on the Fiber one Eng muffins. Will definitely get them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy moly, you already got more snow than we had in December and I thought that was a lot. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that snow was all we are going to have this winter.

    Congrats on the fast treadmill run and the pancakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table looks like it's wearing a hat.

    What a great run you had! I do like your M.O. of running while Bobby does the snow shoveling - I would totally do the same thing if we had to deal with that. Being a non-snow person, I know that you have to shovel, but it seems like you would wait until the storm is over to start. LOL, if I lived there, my first winter? I would be the person who couldn't get out of their front door, the snow would be piled so high!

    Those pumpkin pancakes are calling my name. What a nice wife you are, to make such a treat!

    I love your fireplace! Very cute and cozy. Loving all the glimpses into your house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How's the magazine reading going, Hoarder?
    How about that RAT hoarding from the other night? Anyway, looks like you are hoarding snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dedication to running inspires me...

    I've recently discovered polenta. I cut it into chunks, top with tomatoes, chicken breasts, EVOO and rosemary and bake. YUM! Your recipe sounds great too! In fact, I may just make it tonight and might add some chicken sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pancakes look amazing! And I am a lover of deep snows, so I'm jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great lasagna recipe. I am going to have to try this one this weekend. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh and we do LOVE polenta around here.
    the snow? not so much :) Love the photos. Love living in Texas.

    Ill come VISIT though :)

    ReplyDelete