Friday, January 14, 2011

Random Info.

Kelly over at Happy Texans gave me this award


which confuses me greatly because I'm not very stylish.  In fact, I tell Shelly that when the day comes and we finally meet in person to run, she's going to be embarrassed to run with me when she sees how non-matchy I am. But thank you Kelly!

I'm supposed to tell you 7 random things about me.  Hopefully, none of this is repeated information but if it is, blame it on the weather, OK?  Because now that we got the 2 feet of snow, it's freaking cold.  Pardon my Francais but please tell me what I'm supposed to do with 11 degrees?  Forecast for overnight tonight?  Single digits.  I have no idea how I'm going to motivate myself to do my long run tomorrow, even on the treadmill.  Which segues quite nicely into...

1.  I HATE snow and winter.  Hate it.  The only reason I live where I do is because of being married to Mr. Helen.  Otherwise I would be somewhere warm and sunny.  And no, I don't care anything about seasons at all.  Year 'round warmth would be just fine with me.

2.  I LOVE Italian food.  That means all kinds of Italian food, not just stuff with red sauce on it.  It's my very favorite cuisine and the reason why I would never go on a low carb diet.  I can't imagine my life without pasta.

3.  I was born in Louisville, Kentucky. My father was in the Navy and out to sea on a submarine. He was stationed somewhere near there, so it was easier for my mother to go to his side of the family, than all the way to hers in Maine. Thus my place of birth.

4.  My mother tells me that I walked at 9 months old and was daytime potty trained at 18 months. She was desperate to get me out of diapers because my brother was on the way (there's only 15 months between us) and there were only so many cloth diapers to go around.

5. When I was 9 & 10 years old, I lived in Smithville, Arkansas, population 75.  That was in the late 1960's.  The population of Smithville in July of 2009 was 69.

6.  You're probably wondering how on earth I ended up there.  My father was the pastor of the Southern Baptist church. So now you know I was a preacher's kid. Probably explains all the rebellious years I've had from ages 17-50.

7.  It took me 5:51 to run my first marathon.  I made my goal, which was to get in under 6 hours because they stopped timing and closed the course after 6 hours. Still, not a great time.  Three years later, I walked a marathon for breast cancer.  I finished in 5:48 and was the first walker to finish.  I was walking so fast they assigned one of the bike patrol people to stay with me at all times because they were afraid I would pass out or something.  That experience taught me an important lesson about training.  Train appropriately for the event you are participating in and you'll get your best result.

Could I have made that any more random?

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Helen. You and I have two things in common: hating winter and loving Italian food. This has been a very long, snowy winter, and I don't like being "cooped up" so much. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My neighbor ran his first marathon last spring, after training for months. He was so proud when he showed me his time printed in the newspaper... until I pointed out that a 78-year-old dude finished twenty seconds ahead of him. "Couldn't you see him?" I asked. "Couldn't you catch the old guy before the finish line?" I'm a stinker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you say you were rebellious from 17 to 50! :D

    My brother and I walked a half marathon in Iowa before his now famous Chicago marathon - there were no walkers allowed, but we did it anyway. As I was walking people would walk by and say "just start running until you can't run, THEN walk." Ha!

    Am I a runner up winner??!!

    Have a great weekend Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 11 degrees out, how cold does that make your garage with the treadmill? Brrr. Thanks for sharing all the information. I actually like winter and snow but now that I live just north of Seattle, I don't see it as often as I would like. Still, 11 degrees is too cold for me. Hope it warms up soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sitting at the car repair shop and just laughing. I love Italian food, it is freakin' cold, no idea you were a preacher's daughter and most of all, the population in Smithville was a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I walked a half in 2008 with my daughter - she'd run the 26.2 the previous year in 4:24 (23 at the time). We walked it in 4:20. Think I slowew her down? She was fine with it and we had a great time.

    We don't have 20 inches, but I'm damned sick of the cold too. It IS freakin' freezing if you'll pardon MY Francais! (I loved that:) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, for one, consider you to be very stylish. I remember the party dress pictures!

    My family hails from Clarksville, AR. It has similar statistics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Population 75? You couldn't get away with anything, I'm guessing!

    I am glad to hear someone else dis the four seasons - I, too, would be happy with warm weather year-round. If I want cold, I'll go visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually love 4 seasons in theory, but I wish I could turn off the snow and cold when I have had enough. If we didn't have family in the area, John and I would move a teensy further south. Not too south, but a little less frigid south.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those were all very interesting little tidbits on top of you being such a style maven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great random facts about you Helen! A preachers kid, we have several friends who suffered the same way! LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Uh, yeah you're stylish for sure! And I am SO with you on winter. I keep saying, I REALLY prefer summer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Preacher's kid. Now I know why I like ya so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that's interesting that you walked a marathon. I don't think I'll go that far. I would like to start walking longer distances though. Also interesting to me that you were a preacher's kid! I was, sort of. Although my day was a 'lay preacher' (didn't do it full time or get paid.) He was a Junior High principal for his day job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading tidbits about bloggers. I feel like I get to know you better. :)

    Hater of cold and winter too!

    I think it's just wonderfully amazing that you did a marathon at all! And then went back to walk one. Wow. Really.

    Have a great weekend, Helen. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well deserved award, my friend. BTW--I am in TOTAL agreement with you on #1. Let's go South!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am with you on Number 1. My career is the only thing that has kept me here in ILLINOIS all my life...... I hate cold and snow....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kentucky! Who knew!?
    And Arkansas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love four seasons, I'm not a Summer girl but I don't like snow either. I wouldn't live anywhere where the weather is the same all year round.

    I love Italian food too, Italy is our favorite country to visit when we go on vacation, have seen a lot of it already.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is fast waking Helen!!! For both marathons I did, I had to pretty much walk the last 6 miles....it was not fun!

    I kept calling my husband on his cell phone after every mile so he knew I was still going, he finished a few hours before me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It seems like I remember you saying you were from KY before - perhaps in a comment on my blog.

    You have really had a diverse life! That is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate to the party but had to chime in that I love the randomnessment of it all.
    you are a RENAISSANCE WOMAN.

    ReplyDelete