Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tuesday Ten

10.  I hate winter.

9.  When I got up to run this morning and looked out my window down the hill this is what I saw:


Yes, those white dots are snowflakes.

8.  Of course it was a running day for me so then I saw

I'm getting tired of this view.  And look at poor Goldilocks!

8.  When I finished my run I decided I'd clean Goldie off so that when it was time to go to work, I wouldn't be doing it in dress clothes.

7.  Speaking of running on the treadmill in the garage, a couple of you asked me about my space heater.  Here you go:

It's that white thing sitting to the left of the treadmill.  Now you know why in yesterday's post I referred to my left leg getting warm.  Pitiful, really.  (Please to ignore all the CRAP.  Dear God in Heaven or To Whom it May Concern, puhleeze put a fire under Mr. Helen's butt to clean up the garage this spring!)

6. About 10 minutes before leaving work, I go out to start her up and get the heat circulating and imagine my horror when I saw this!


 That is ICE people.  The snow had turned to freezing rain.

5.  It took me 45 minutes to make my usual 20 minute drive to work.  The lovely thing about it?  Not one darn thing.  I drive inland, which means the drive got worse and worse.  Have I mentioned how much I hate winter?

4.  I have absolutely, positively been stuck on savory oatmeal lately.  I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever eat it sweet again.  My version (here's your protein, Kelly) is 1 cup prepared oatmeal with 1 tsp. light olive oil spread.  Scramble 1/2 cup egg beaters, then put 1 slice reduced fat cheddar over the top.  Put eggs on top of buttered oatmeal.  Sprinkle the whole mess with hot sauce.  Here's what it looks like:


Just so you know Kelly, that meal has 5 grams of protein - until you add the egg beaters and cheese and then it bumps up to 23 grams!  It's so filling and keeps me satisifed until lunch.

3.  I saw the funniest statement in an ad over the weekend. Just typing this makes me giggle. How many times has your sweet tooth gone out and celebrated without your permission? Errrr, how about the whole month of December?  Again, why I run.

2.  Speaking of running, I get asked all the time how to start running. I say, "Buy some shoes and start running." People don't believe me but that's how I did it. I even bought cheap shoes that gave me shin splints! But I took those shoes and myself to our high school track and I'd walk a lap and then I'd run as far as I could. Then I'd walk to catch my breath and as soon as it was caught I'd run. One day I ran 2 laps in a row, then 3, then eventually 3 miles. Then I tried a race and once I crossed that finish line, the rest is history or 'my'story.

1. I'm going to link you to another great post.  People, I'm just going to tell you, if you're a struggling at weight loss, you need to read Chris. She has been on fire lately! Plus, she backs up her bark with her bite.  Here's How To Lose 100 Pounds Cheap and Easy! 

17 comments:

  1. If I lived next to you I would definitely hate Winter too. Man that's a lot of snow!

    I started running too at cheap shoes and got the shin splints too. I almost quit running back then but then someone told me to buy good shoes and I did. However I still quit after being able to run 30 minutes. It took me 2.5 years before I picked it up again in March 2009 and still doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oatmeal sounds awesome. I usually have it with honey, but yours sounds like a great way to get the extra protein in. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate winter too. My car doors were frozen this morning, it took me 10 minutes to scrape the ice off - its overcast and fricken cold. I have to think January and February in the midwest are my two least favorite months.

    I love that savory oats combo - I haven't made it in a long time - I usually just stir the shredded cheese into the oats, and of course, the hot sauce makes the dish! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't get into the savory oats thing. I'm going to have to suck it up and try it, aren't I? Sigh. I wonder if a sprinkly of garlic powder and some salsa might make it more appealing to me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate winter too. Let's just all go on a cruise vacation to somewhere warm!

    The thought of savory oats isn't that appealing but I'm going to open my mind and try something new this morning. Thanks for that. :)

    You mean just started running? No program? What a concept! LOL Seriously, I think we tend to overcmplicate things sometimes. It's still nice to have plans like Bingham's to hold our hand from time to time.

    Sorry you are having to run in the cold garage. hang in there. Spring will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Helen - how do you feel about winter?

    I'm with you and we had the same ice encasement on the outdoor cars (mine was nice and dry in the garage)this morning. Also on the glass of the breezeway.

    I love savory oats - I also will put cottage cheese and cinnamon on them with a bit of salt - LOVE IT and it also beefs up the protein. (no pun...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we need to take up a collection and buy you a space heater for your other leg. Oh, and how did your treadmill get into my garage? Seriously, we ARE twins.

    Ice is the worst. I've gone out to my car a few times and had that frozen-over surprise - I've also wished for a car that had the remote start, so I could punch a button and have it all thawed out and warmed up before I have to step into it.

    OK, wait - we are not twins. That oatmeal looks gross. I could eat the egg deal, but not with oats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your photo in the fleece. You look great! I'm also "all wintered out." We have had piles of snow for two months now, and it definitely affects mood and morale. Love your blog, but the oatmeal and eggs--probably not so much. I have oatmeal every morning, but with egg whites (not a yolk person), apples, and raisins. Isn't it great that we're all different types on these blogs. How boring would it be if our blogs were all alike!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The savory oatmeal was tasty and VERY filling. Couldn't even finish my bowl o' oats. Thanks for the tip. :)

    Agreeing with Shelley: need to start a collection so you can have two warm legs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That ice does not look pleasant at ALL. It's headed this way apparently this afternoon. Oh the joys of driving on an ice skating rink! Hey, at least the days are getting longer now, right? Can you even tell yet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The running joke at our house is my husband saying "Did I mention I'm sick of winter yet?" LOL!

    New Orleans seems so nice about now. Except I would hate the heat and humidity in the summer.

    Maybe put the space heater behind you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that garage..I will see it someday. So, Goldilocks gets to get icy so the treadmill can have her spot next to the heater?
    Interesting bkfst, I think I could like it.
    Watching Loser now, half-assed. I haven't yet committed to this season, but I check in here and there. Too tired to do anything else, including overeat! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I commend you for doing the treadmill in the garage. You are one motivated runner. I'm very interested in expanding on the oatmeal for protein. I love oatmeal and add chopped fruit. There's not a lot of protein there. I have to look for ways to rev up the protein. Great idea to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the picture narrative!!! Makes me smile EVERY time. By the way, 4 dang pounds is WAY worse... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That garage looks downright spotless compared to mine. I would be so lucky if after cleaning my garage it looked like yours. Wow!

    Great post Helen, thanks for sharing how you started running. I hope to be a runner some day myself.

    I like snow and winter, but if I had to thaw the car out each day before going to work, I wouldn't be a happy camper. Hope it melts soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are sure being mean to winter!
    Savory oatmeal sounds kind of gross. Do you ever mix it with meat?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am having trouble reading you - do you dislike winter? ;-)

    ReplyDelete