Monday, February 7, 2011

Go for the Green!

I got in two runs over the weekend rather than one long one. Saturday I was particularly sore from the PT and spent quite a bit of time stretching trying to loosen up. When I got dressed to run, even Mr. Helen was really surprised that I was going to even attempt anything but I told him I needed endorphins.  I decided I would just walk on the treadmill knowing I could stop if it really did hurt too much.  But once I got going, I felt myself loosening up and by mile 4 I was doing a flat out hard run.  So I decided I'd go for 5 miles... once I hit that I decided I'd run for 60 minutes and once I hit that I was so close to 6 miles I figured I'd keep going.  When I got to 6 miles, I thought why not make it a 10K?  So I did.  6.2 miles 64:35 which is a 10:23/mile pace.  Pretty darn good considering the walking and slow jogging I did at first.  And I felt great the rest of the day.  Some of that might have been brought on by the fact that Mr. Helen felt so badly about my aches and pains that he did about the half the housework and went grocery shopping with me so I wouldn't have to lug bags all by myself.

Sunday morning I got up and had a bit of pain but it really was the least pain I've felt in weeks.  That made me happy and makes me wonder if the PT isn't starting to take and maybe soon I'll be back to feeling my usual self.  I can't wait to really kick the bag in Muay Thai again!

Mr. Helen was leaving for his trip first thing in the morning, so I just hung out with him until he took off.  Then I decided if I wanted to have any Superbowl treats I'd better hit the treadmill again.  Ended up doing 5 miles.  Another good run and again had hardly any pain or twinges all day long.  

You all know from last year's Superbowl Muffaletta I usually try to make food themed around either one of the teams or the city that the Superbowl is being played in.  I didn't plan on making a bunch of stuff to eat since I would be home alone eating and though I planned on having something that was a bit of a treat, I didn't want to have tons of hors d'oeuvres and stuff like I normally would if Mr. Helen was home. Honestly I was afraid that lonliness and boredom would drive me to eat whatever I made so I wanted to keep it simple.   I had just recently made my Texas BBQ Beef so I really wasn't in the mood for that, but I came up with what I thought was a pretty good idea: a spinach, mushroom and gorgonzola pizza.

Green for the Green Bay Packers and Cheese for Wisconsin!  (I was rooting for the Packers and their underdog quarterback - WOOT!)  Here it is just before going into the oven:

And here it is all beautiful and golden, ready to be cut!

My plate



So yummy and somewhat healthy I'd say.  Healthy is the route I'm going to try this week.   I even made Chicken Shawarma too and I have lots of salad fixings and good for me things in the fridge.  Wish me luck!

Spinach, Mushroom & Gorgonzola Pizza


Dough for 14" Pizza (make your own like I did or store bought is just the right size)
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
4 T Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T olive oil
4 oz. part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 oz. gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

    Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

    Saute mushrooms and garlic in olive oil until mushrooms give up their water. Add parsley and spinach to quickly wilt.

    Spread dough out on a 14-15 inch pizza pan - preferably a stone.

    Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over dough. Spread vegetable mixture evenly over dough.

    Sprinkle crumbled gorgonzola evenly over veggie mixture.

    Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden.

    Makes 8 servings.

    Per serving including crust:  269 calories, 13.5g fat, 492g sodium, 27.5g carbs, 2.4g fiber, 11g protein



    12 comments:

    1. That pizza looks amazing Helen!! I'd leave out the mushrooms, but that's just me. I am actually going to be making a gorganzola polenta as a side dish tonight - so I'll have leftovers to make your pizza!

      My goal for the week - no wine until Saturday!! Wish ME luck! :D

      ReplyDelete
    2. I am making that pizza next weekend when Jeff is home to help me eat it - holy yum, my mouth is watering just looking at it!!!

      Too funny - I have salad fixing all chopped and ready in the fridge for dinners this week - twins! :)

      And you got another 5 miles in on Sunday? Dang woman! That is so nice!!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Helen, glad you're in less pain and hope it continues. I admire your runs and hope to be able to do the same some day.

      The pizza looks seriously delicious.

      ReplyDelete
    4. That pizza looks amazing! And as always, I'm impressed by both your speed and perserverance. You are fully made of awesome.

      Enjoy your wife-vacation. Wallow in good self-care!

      ReplyDelete
    5. 10:23 is an amazing pace with walking in there! Go Helen!

      ReplyDelete
    6. You are rocking.
      Did you ever decide if you were heading South while Mr. H. is away?
      I might have eaten the whole pizza, you go girl.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Man, you can run fast! And with an injury???

      Yumm on the pizza, I like mushroom and onion. The spinach is a great addition that I might have forgotten. I want to try that cauliflower pizza crust--it looks darn good!

      ReplyDelete
    8. That looks super yummy! I love that you did a 5 mile run so you could eat a little extra!

      ReplyDelete
    9. I just found your blog today.....and other than the running...seems like we're quite alike!

      I'm sorry to brag, but, um, eh, I was in Florida in the glorious warmth while you poor folk were battling winter....but I'm back home now, in Canada, where there's snow everywhere....

      Looking forward to reading more....

      ReplyDelete
    10. You rock Helen, especially on your Saturday's run, great run! And then again on Sunday! You're my running hero!

      The pizza looks delicious!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Helen, you cease to amaze me with your ability to run the way you do and in a myriad of conditions to boot. You are simply awesome.

      ReplyDelete