Thursday, February 17, 2011

Time After Time, The Grand Finale

This is part two of a two part blog.  Part one is here.

As Chris Montez' Time After Time played and I stood there with my mouth hanging open, I realized he indeed had actually thought out a plan and was surprising me in the biggest way.  There were all sorts of good smells coming from the stove area but I was told that I was not allowed to hang in the kitchen and to go freshen up.

When I came back downstairs he handed me a glass of wine and said, "Let's go sit down in the living room for a minute, before I have to get started cooking."  As we walked that way, I smelled them before I saw them...

Pink roses and chocolate?  Godiva chocolate? Pink roses are special to us because that is what I carried when we got married... he has given them to me only a very few times in our years together usually on an anniversary.  How special!


Godiva chocolate is my favorite and truffles are my favorite Godiva.  Hmmmm, which one should I have?


Definitely not a time to care about this! Throw it out.

Let me consult the map...


As I sat mulling over my chocolate options, Mr. Helen said he needed to start cooking and that I should stay OUT of the kitchen!  I did sneak around the corner to catch him working his magic - had to capture this memory you know.



A few minutes later he came in and handed me this and told me it was just a little something to hold me until dinner was ready.  I love shrimp cocktail!

Soon after he called me to come to the table...  when I saw it I had to stop and take a photo, it was so pretty and heartfelt.


Look at the delicious dinner he made me!  Gorgonzola crusted filet mignon, a creamy stuffed potato, and asparagus!  All from scratch, not to mention, Mr. Helen hates asparagus.  For him to make it for me?  That's a sign of true love! We figured out that the last time he made it for me was March 2, 1991 which was my birthday.  I guess he plans on making it for me every 20 years or so lol!


He was so proud of himself because he looked all the recipes up on the internet.  I was proud of him too but my head felt like it was going to explode!  Because honestly, I'm the more romantic one in our relationship.  I felt completely overwhelmed and just when I was wondering what alien had come and abducted my husband, he redeemed himself as we exchanged cards...

My card to him (yes, romantic)


His card to me... started romantic...

And then I was laughing so hard, I was crying!
 The inside said, "And I don't give those to just anybody."
There's my real husband!

 Here we are trying to capture how much fun we had... we suck at self portraits




Romance, Love, Laughter.  This was seriously a Valentine's I'll never forget. Who knew it could be this way on a Monday night?  Especially after all these years together.  It really does get better with time.  I love you Mr. Helen!

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful - awesome and memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mr. Helen too!

    What a great gift and surprise he gave you. A night to keep locked in your heart and to look back at with lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this! How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how lovely, it brings tears to my eyes.... love, love, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely--what a lucky girl you are, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great valentine's day!! And I always give the long sappy cards to my hubs - he usually gets me a funny card. This year was the first serious one! Thanks for your continued support Helen!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGoodness HELEN!!! That is amaze-ing! Congrats, hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was just the best Valentine's Day story ever! So sweet, and he's definitely a keeper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how romantic!! i love when husbands surprise us
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo....the suspense was killing me.
    Love love love the nuts....he's gotta know my husband.....
    Love the self portraits, love the chocolate, flowers, asparagus and potato..don't eat meat, but I bet it was great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Helen. Just found your blog via a link from Jenn's site. Had to stop by and say how much I like it, that I've bookmarked and will visit often. Love your photos and stories. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhhhh... Mr. Helen? You done good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very, very nice. He outdid himself! I feel woefully inadequate for what I did for my wife now... Cheers, Rick

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, Helen! You got yourself a winner there! It *almost* makes me wish I was married LOL! Well, for sure, I wish I had someone to give me pink roses and Godiva chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful evening - you totally deserved to have Mr. Helen treat you so royally!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful surprise! I must say...if my husband had cooked it all would have been fried...in oil. lol.
    What a great guy. Glad you had a happy valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had a blast! He seems to be such a sweetheart! :)

    www.firstandfitmost.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an absolute sweetheart! You are a very lucky woman (of course, he knows he's a very lucky man, as well.) So happy for the both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is SO sweet :)! Glad you had such a special Valentine's Day--many props to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh that is just the sweetest! You guys are so adorable.

    PS: Pink roses are my favorite too. :)

    LOVE the card he gave you. Freakin hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awwww, I think I just fell in love a little with Mr Helen. Somehow it makes up for a WHOLE LOT of the stresses these last months, doesn't it?

    Thanks for sharing this, Helen, it's warmed my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awwww, now THAT'S a Valentine's day! I am nutz for you both. :)

    ReplyDelete