Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ain't Nothin' Gonna Break My Stride

First things first.  It's Bagel Wednesday Baby!**  Woot! Woot!
Whole Wheat bagel with Chive cream cheese.  Nom nom nom

As it was said in the Harry Potter series, "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."  Eating varied foods that I like make me feel like I'm actually living and not 'dieting.'  It's a small thing, but important for me.

Thanks for all your expressions of concern over the calf pop.  For the last 5 days I have been careful and kept it taped.  This enabled me to get in some decent walking, both inside and outside.  Yesterday morning, (sorry no photo of the Garmin acause I forgot), I got out and did 3.15 miles in 42:10.  That's a 13:30 min/mile pace.  Super happy with that.  Since my leg felt fine (don't get me wrong, I'm 'aware' that I have an injury underneath all that tape) I thought I would try Muay Thai again last night.  But, I added an Ace Bandage over the KT tape to really stabilize the muscles in that leg.

"Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride..."

While it wasn't the best Muay Thai class I've ever had, due to having to modify many things, I did get my sweat on.  The thing with Muay Thai is that even when punching you sort of need to be light on your feet.  I don't know if it was fear of reinjury but I was more like a statue.  In the end though, I survived the class to live another day and that was what was most important to me.

This morning I got up and headed for the treadmill to put in an hour while I watched last night's episode of The Biggest Loser.  After walking for 1/4 mile, I felt like I might actually be able to jog... so I gave it whirl.  I ended up going 5.06 miles in 1 hour.  "Nobody gonna hold me down, oh no, I got to keep on movin'!" 

This actually has been a great learning process for me and as I said before, a great reminder of just how wonderfully effective a good walk can be  Sometimes I think we push ourselves so much that we lose sight of the big picture, which is to be as healthy as we can be.  Being healthy, mentally or emotionally, should not include pushing yourself to the point of exhaustion and/or further injury.  As I told someone in a comment recently, slow and steady may not WIN the race, but it sure will get you to the finish line.

In other food news, I made myself another fabulous big azz salad today for lunch.  Wait until you see the carry to work bowl I have.  My boss used to own a bistro and when they closed there was a whole case of these bowls and he let me have 10 of them.  I wash them and use them over and over until they're worn out.  OK, it's a tiny bit sad that I'm already looking foward to lunch but this salad is going to be yummy!  I think I've been enjoying salads so much because I really haven't been eating a lot of them lately.  I tend to get away from them in winter when the produce isn't that good.  So, they're like a brand new taste sensation all over again.
Romaine mix (includes red cabbage and carrots) with roasted red peppers, dill pickle slices (instead of cucumber!), scallions, reduced fat cheddar cheese and southwestern flavored grilled chicken.  Served with ranch dressing.


And that's my Wednesday.  How's yours?

**TM, Lori at Finding Radiance

13 comments:

  1. You are a warrior, Helen. I would use all that tape as an excuse, for sure. Your salad looks just yummy. I've got a good one packed for today myself. I, too, am already looking forward to lunch! I'm calling mine a steak fajita salad.

    I hope your owie continues to improve. You sound like you are in a good place with all of it. And who wouldn't be on Bagel Wednesday! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I want to thank you (NOT) for your post title today. Guess which song is in my head right now and probably won't get out of it today ..... right :)

    I'm so glad you were already to run a few miles, you've taken good care of your calf and did not overdo it and you're rewarded for it by being able to run so soon again.

    I also find that walking is very good for a person. After my long run on Saturday my legs are always a bit heavier on Sunday but having a dog means: go out with her and I find that these walks on Sunday help me recover faster from the long run.

    By the way I bought an icepack since I don't have a bath after your suggestion on ice baths. Going to try it this weekend after the run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way the first comment bugged me so I had to delete and start over...perfectionist? MOI???

    Such a positive, upbeat post - great going with getting your calf back to running! You've certainly put a smile on my face this morning. :) <---see?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ARE a warrior - damn! And just so you know, I was getting ready to comment a half hour ago and got called to a client. And guess what's been playing in my head continually since? Ain't nothin' gonna breaka my stride... Not a bad soundtrack for my day. Thanks -

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss THREE of your posts?? Oh, I was out of town. Anyway, I'm all caught up. That calf pop thing? I wonder if that's what happened to me? It hurt so bad, and it literally took me 30 minutes to tie my shoes. Of course, since I went to the doctor's where I work, I got a complete workup which included ultrasound, but it showed nothing. the doctors never said it could just be a muscle!

    Anyway, loved all your posts. Loved that you had shrimp cocktail with a big salad--one of my favorite combos. Love that layered egg recipe you shared. I will definitely be trying that one!

    And yay for walking. Seems all my running friends are getting injured one by one lately, and joining me in 'the joy of walking...'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good the injury seems to be healing instead of holding you back.
    But maybe it's that damn good looking salad - it's just past breakfast here and that photo is giving me a hankerin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roxie is so right, Helen. You ARE a warrior. Seriously. Solid as a rock. Grateful that you are in no worse shape with that knee.
    Kitchen reno goings on even as I type. Luckily the husband is home today so I can get to work early. I'll have to miss my pottery class tonight however :( Still, would rather do that than carry this on another week, so all is good (deep breath in.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I'd properly proofed what I wrote I'd have chosen 'calf' instead of 'knee'. At least I got the general leg area - geez. I blame the workers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so didn't want that song in my head because I never liked it LOL!

    I had a trail mix bagel today :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh, get that song out of my head. It's stuck now. :P

    I never thought to put pickles on a salad. Brilliant!

    Glad you are doing so well getting back to running. Great job! Still a little ticked that you walk faster than I run. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a fierce walkin' MAVERICK!!!! Go Helen!! Oh no, now I have that Matthew Wilder song going through my head now! Ack!! And I'm showing my age by knowing Matthew Wilder sang it, aren't I??? Take care Helen!

    ReplyDelete