Friday, March 25, 2011

Three Cheers for Casual Friday!

Yesterday morning when I got up and looked out the window, this is what I saw.  (Sorry for the crappy iPhone photos my camera was charging.) Sigh.


While we are not getting as much snow as some folks are still, I am so done with it.  Especially since last Friday we had one of those weird Spring temperature spikes and actually set a record hitting 70 degrees!  Thankfully that must have warmed up the ground a bit because by the end of the day yesterday, most of that had melted.  This is all that was left on the edge of the driveway - hahahaha!  Along with a weed!  Which means Spring really is coming.


Good thing most of it melted, because guess what the temperature was when I went out at o'dark-thirty for my walk/jog?  30.  With a windchill of 22.  Oh yeah, I was in full winter gear.  Sigh.  But I am happy to report that I did a very hilly route this morning and though my calf is still taped, I didn't feel it!  Wogged 3.4 miles in 43:25 for a pace of 12:45.  Hurray!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was going through some old photos last night and let me tell you, if I ever, ever get back to the weight I was at just a couple of years ago, I am going to bow down and worship MYSELF.   When I got there, after almost 2 years of waiting for my thyroid to balance, it wasn't enough.  Why? When I was looking at those photos last night and wanting to be back there, I can't believe I was so hard on myself.  Peeps, I've had some revelations in the past few days - from those photos, from a book I've been reading, and from conversations with friends - that I think have sparked some changes in my mindset that will only lead to good things.  I am fired up and excited and can't wait to be able to fully share with you just what has been happening!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have a party weekend ahead of us.  Tonight we will be gathering for dinner with my immediate family because Little Brother Helen from New York missed us and is coming in simply because he wanted a visit.  He's an RN and works all sorts of days and hours so though he's not that far away, it's often hard for him to get here when the rest of us are available.  It will be nice to see him.

Tomorrow Baby Brother Helen's baby girl is turning 2!  We will be going to help celebrate that.  This is the baby girl who was born with Tetrology of Fallot and had to have open heart surgery as an infant.  So you can understand why "2" is a huge celebration for us.  Besides, who can resist this little cutie?

She went shopping with momma for birthday party supplies and picked this hat out for herself!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does your place of employment have Casual Friday or dress down days? We don't get those routinely in my office as my boss (the one who passed away) was a stickler for professional attire.  That rule has never been changed.  The way I dressed in my St. Patrick's day photo is how I dress daily.  However, a couple of years ago, one of our VPs talked him into letting us have an occasional Casual Friday for charity.  So basically, we donate to a specific cause for the privilege of wearing jeans to work.  As I started to fuss about what to wear today, I realized today was just such a Friday as our company supports one of the local MS Walks.  Believe it or not, there are four employees in my company who have been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. 

So, three cheers for Casual Friday!  And to a great weekend for us all! (I do not know why my sweater is wrinkled.  All I did was put on a coat and drive to work.  Sigh.)


14 comments:

  1. Helen this post and last post is so positive regarding your future and how you approach your lifestyle at the moment. Love it!

    We don't have actual casual Friday but most of my co-workers dress casual on Friday. For me it depends if my boss gets visitors on Friday or not. Today he does not and I'm wearing jeans too. But I don't wear jeans to the office very often. I have to be representative for my job and usually casual means normal pants that aren't to business-like.

    Have fun this weekend, looks like you've got great plans.

    PS: I love what you did for Shelley's Mom. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fantastic in that picture.

    The winter temps - enough already! It was 27 in the car this morning - RA-diculous. With wind chill of something equally heinous. Sounds like a fun weekend ahead. Enjoy every moment.

    Looking forward to hearing your revelations - reminds me of weighing 140 on my wedding day at a height of 5'9" and just being devastated that I was SO heavy, since I'd been in the 120s for years. Perspective is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look cute in those jeans! I don't think I've ever seen you in jeans, come to think of it...either dresses or nicer work-wear. And FOUR people with MS? Wow.

    Happy Birthday to the little cutie - that must have been such a scary time with her heart defect. Hope everything is ok now - she looks wonderful (and I LOVE her hat!).

    Tell you what - I'll send you 20 degrees from Texas this weekend - that way, we'll both have good spring weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I could have been twins this week Helen - so crazy how similar how weeks have been - including jeans today! :D

    You look so cute - and until you pointed it out, I didn't notice the wrinkles.

    Have a great time with family this weekend - just concentrate on the people and let the food be a side thought.

    p.s. thanks for the pep talk - I am going to find a 5k this weekend . . . and actually sign up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup with you on the snow thing - it's still snowing here and along with it some freezing rain - has made for interesting roads these days. However the future is looking brighter and it is supposed to be nicer next week - I hope!!
    We have casual Fridays as well - once a month and folks pay to wear them and like your company the funds go to a charity. Here it is the United Way and that is distributed to various organizations in our city (youth programs, homeless, etc.).
    I must have missed the note though cause everyone around me is wearing jeans and I've got the regular Friday attire on!
    Have a fantastic weekend Helen! Have fun with your family and your niece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our school has been doing a "March Madness" theme where we drew names for teams for the top college teams. We've been able to have more jean days if we wear our "team colors!" It's been rather nice. Otherwise we can wear jeans on Fridays.
    I woke up to snow as well-- I'm running a 5k tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to hear your discoveries! I love it when people post things like that.

    Haha - at home, I have a totally casual day every day. I do some work in jammies and some work in slippers, although I do like to shower and at least be presentable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have casual Fridays here. I never would have noticed any wrinkles in your sweater, it's pretty!!! BTW, sending Shelley's mom your race number was LOVELY!!! You are amazing! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your picture!! I'm excited to hear about your discoveries. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your outfit and I love the little princess' hat!

    I also think it's a great idea to get your self ready to worship your weight once you get where you want. I think that we're constantly thinking that we're "big" even when we're healthy and in good shape. It's something we need to be able to stop doing. I like that you've got that in your head NOW (although...you do look damn good NOW! Have to say!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How long do we have to wait for your discoveries??? I hear ya on the bowing down and being satisfied with a former weight. Tonight I would cut this extra weight off my body if I could!!!

    You look so cute in that outfit.

    p.s. My snow is melted too. Because its raining again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am with you, I am ready for summer. After New Years, the novelty of snow has worn off completely. I am so glad I am in a very loosely enforced dress code situation. If I had to pay to wear jeans I would go broke :)

    Starting At 500 Pounds

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh man.
    and here I am catching up on MANIC MANIC MONDAY :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heehee, I am so late in commenting on this one the snow is finally GONE for us in Chicago! Hopefully it is for you too.

    That peach is really flattering on you, even from far away. You are glowing!

    ReplyDelete