Friday, March 4, 2011

Wrapping Paper

What an odd week it has been.  I raced a half marathon, made Shelley cry, broke my own rules about running too soon after racing ("do as I say, not as I do"), injured myself because I should know better, used the knowledge gleaned from past injuries to whip that calf back into shape so I could get back to a Muay Thai class on Thursday, decided not to run anymore until the weekend (shock!), and in between, celebrated a birthday.

A great time was had by all on my birthday, but most especially by me!  No, this wasn't the big hoopla of last year, but it was grand all the same.  Takeout BBQ from my favorite place and cupcakes which I chose over a cake this year.  All shared with my family including the most precious nieces and nephews anyone could ask for.  You know, kids really know how to make a birthday special.  My almost 2 year old niece Samantha singing Happy Birthday to me was heart melting.

Sweet Sammy Lou's song was music to my ears!

My sister in-law from New York (my brother's wife) showed up and surprised me with these gorgeous anemones in hand!


I got my very first birthday cards where Gracie and Jacob both wrote their own names - not to mention that Jacob put a heart there too, which my sister said he won't do for just anybody!

Plus Amazing Gracie decided that she needed to surprise me with her very own card and gift.  My sister said she's like a train out of control, once she decides something there's no stopping her.  Hmmmmm, wonder where she gets that from?

She decorated the envelope (Grammy helped)

This says "Aunte" can you see it? Until recently she only referred to me as Auntie - no Helen, which I've found is a very hard name for children to say


My gift!  How much do I love this?  I can't even explain.
It has a pipe cleaner hanger, so guess where it is?
Right on the fridge.  A good reminder for me that my vacation is just a few months away lol!


I got lots of other great gifts too, gift cards from Sephora, Olive Garden, iTunes, Dick's Sporting Goods and Famous Footwear.  Hmmm wonder if I can spend them in one big shopping trip?

Little Helen sent me this funky bracelet. I love it!

I also received this, which I will use to make zucchini spaghetti!

Both Mr. Helen and Little Helen gave me one of these...
they know me well!
(One will be returned and probably be replaced by yet another cookbook.)


And of course, there was the Fabulousness that were the Birthday Cupcakes! Mr. Helen bought way too many which means there were leftovers and also means I'll need to be looking at Gracie's gift often in the next few days!

Just because I know someone will ask: starting with the left row,
the flavors are:
Vanilla Cream, Raspberry Snowball, Banana Cream, Oreo Cookie, Chocolate Raspberry
Chocolate Fudge, Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Chocolate

I enjoyed 1 1/2 cupcakes (three halves, different flavors).  Usually that third half would be a guilt inducing thing for me, but I immediately shut those thoughts down and just enjoyed.  Almost as if I needed a sign that indeed the correct way to treat myself, no matter what, is at least as good as I would treat a beloved friend or my own Little Helen, I found this.  How appropriate that it's from my birthday buddy, Dr. Seuss.
Pretty good way to wrap up the week.  Thanks Doc, I needed that. 

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE that quote.
    I love your whole bday celebration. So glad it was so special for that special Helen that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome way to spend a week!
    And what a recap!
    Say - those cupcakes look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that card. Sounds like a wonderful birthday - and in my book, a birthday is a week long media event - so keep celebrating. I'm salivating for the warmer weather tomorrow - will think of you running outside:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated Happy Birthday Helen, I'm glad you had a great day. Cupcakes look yummy and love the gifts. Hope your injury heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you celebrated the way you wanted to this year! I love little cards written by kids with the backwards R and everything - so cute!

    And all that birthday loot (note to self, my birthday is in three weeks and I think I'll need that Throwdown cookbook!)

    Have an awesome weekend Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful celebration you had Helen!

    How sweet are those kids? Love the little pink pig, the cupcakes are to die for!

    You are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great birthday you've had Helen. You've been spoiled with so many great gifts.

    Is there a cupcake left? Mail it to me please ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn - I may have to drive there and share some of those cupcakes.

    Sounds like a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday again! LOVE that quote, thanks for sharing it. And LOVE the idea of cupcakes for birthday, so you can get three flavors on a special day! LOVE your new bracelet (from Africa, right?) and LOVE your spiralizer. Been on my wish list for a long time. I will be interested to hear what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw! It really sounds like you had a wonderful time. No question about the people in your life who clearly love you. Definitely worth reflecting on that! And you weren't kidding about those cupcakes, lady. Whoa! I think, I think...yes, I most certainly hear them calling me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a week! You sure know how to live large, my friend. :) Love how much you adore your nieces and nephew...and they, you.

    You'll have to let me know how you like that spiralizer - I forgot that I wanted one until I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah Helen! Loved those cards you got and I love the bracelet your daughter gave you - so cute!

    Glad you had an awesome birthday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I missed your birthday! Happy belated birthday! It sounds like it was awesome, just like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous birthday celebration. Happy belated!

    ReplyDelete