Friday, April 8, 2011

Topic-less

There has been a lot of busy-ness in my life lately but nothing I want to share on Doing A 180. Unfortunately, since those are the things Ive really been dealing with, I’m finding it hard to write blogs. Like Kelly said, sometimes you get just an ordinary post. On the other hand, if I’m writing for me, if this is my diary, I suppose there’s nothing wrong with that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My get up and go got up and went this week. I've been searching for it desperately and think I may have found the thief!

I started noticing a problem with water retention in my legs for the last couple of weeks - alarming, just sort of puffiness. The other thing I've noticed is that I've been feeling super sluggish. Almost like I had no metabolism/adrenaline/whatever it is that gives energy. My legs have felt very heavy when I've been out running and after exercise instead of feeling revved up and refreshed, I've been feeling like I just need to lay down for a while.

Tuesday while at work I was sitting at my desk and slipped my shoes off for a second. I often do that because my office is carpeted and if I'm wearing heels, it gives my achilles tendons a chance to stretch out a bit. When I went to put my shoes back on they felt tight, which made me take them back off and look at my feet closely. I couldn't believe what I saw! (I tried to take a photo to show you too but it wasn't translating well into a picture.) I had CANKLES! And my poor feet were so full of water they looked like this:


I don’t even know what made me think of it but I decided to go online and look up all the meds I’m taking and sure enough a new one that my doctor switched me to at my last visit seems to be the culprit. I stopped taking it and as of today my legs are back to normal. When I called the doc she agreed I did the right thing and put me back on the one I used to take.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You know why I don’t get to plant my new Day Lilies that I bought, or anything else for that matter? Because it was 32 degrees here this morning. But Spring is definitely somewhere out there because the birdies have come back to the bushes in my neighbors yard and they start chirping right around 4:45 each morning. Pain in the neck when I want to sleep in but great when I want to get up and run!

At least the tulips on my desk opened up fully. The colors inside are just beautiful.  Have a great weekend everyone!

17 comments:

  1. Welcome spring! We're finally getting some here in Ontario as well - phew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regular everyday ordinary is not so bad.
    It's actually the new "exciting!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Regular Every Day Ordinary is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, those flowers are so pretty! Love em.

    Sorry you had to go through that with the meds but at least you got it figured out. I laughed when I saw that picture. Ha! I feel that way once a month!

    And I laughed when I saw the title of this post. At first glance it looked like Top-less. Gutter mind today, I guess. ;-)

    Remember the glass of adult beverage per week you had talked about? Well I had my glass of wine. You weren't here but I toasted to you and your brilliant idea. It was wonderful but I kept it to one glass. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So unusual for you to lose your get up and go - glad you figured out what the deal was with those meds and I sure hope you are feeling back to your old self soon.

    Love the flower picture. I like that you buy fresh flowers for your inside areas - both physical and mental. Wish I did that...don't know why it doesn't even cross my radar until I see how pretty they are when someone else shows a picture!

    Hope today is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice medical detective work, Helen. Glad you found the cause and deduced the cure, smartly confirming with your doc. I hope the change finds your usual energy and zest pouring back into your body, replacing the water that's moving on out.

    I am done with this faux spring. Please. Enough is effing enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you found what was causing the cankles. Thanks for the flower idea. I bought some tulips for the living room, and I have enjoyed them immensely. I don't always think to buy them and consider them a luxury, but you can often find pretty flowers at an economical price, and it's well worth it. I love what it does for my spirit--especially this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There must be something going on in the universe this week because I've been lethargic myself all week. I've been so darn tired and it's been an effort to just get up and move. I had a massage last night and mentioned this to her and she said everyone she worked on this past week has had almost the exact same symptoms. She figures it's the winter/spring transition and since the weather hasn't been all that great - world wide almost she figures it is affecting a LOT of folks.
    Good for you for not taking those pills anymore. Nothing more uncomfortable than being swollen. I find it hard on the feet.
    And love those flowers!
    Hope you have a fantastic weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you figured out what the culprit was - that is kinda scary! :D (and I secretly love the picture of the blow fish!)

    Thanks for your support Helen - and if you need to vent via email - I'll be all ears! :D

    Hugs back to you - and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Medicines can be so scary. They treat one thing, but give you 4 other side effects sometimes. With my job, I am listening to this sort of thing all the time.

    I also throw my hat to the ring if you need any offline support. Just shoot me an email or FB message!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flowers are beautiful.

    Glad that you found out soon why your feet were so swollen. Hope you get your energy back soon now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been suffering from chronic can't write a blog post for weeks now. Plus I was born with cankles (lymphedema). I know your pain, girlie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The flower is LOVELY!!! Hope you feel better and more energetic soon, and that all that is going on in your life settles down. Take care of yourself!!!! Hope you have a great weekend Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take care Helen! Hope you can get R&R in this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a wise woman to figure out what was causing the water retention!

    I do hope things warm up and you can get the flowers planted soon.

    It dipped back down into the 30's here this morning, just when I thought Spring had sprung.

    Everyday ordinary is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you figured out what was causing the cankles so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. annnd Im late
    but here and echoing the GLAD YOU FIGURED IT ALL OUT!
    are you starting the week retention free?

    ReplyDelete