Friday, May 20, 2011

Little Bit of This, Little Bit of That

We're setting records here in Connecticut again, this time with rain.  It literally has rained all ding dang week! Even my 7 year old nephew told his mom that he could "use a little sun."  Now you know it's remarkable when a kid is commenting on it.  Just before I was leaving work on Thursday night this was the view from my office window - it looked like the sun was going to break out...!


...but no such luck.  I guess the weather is sticking to what the forecasters have said:  probably Sunday before we see any real sun.  I hope all my patio pots of flowers and veggies survive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, I'm going to put this photo up here but I'm also going to give you a link so you can really see this dress I ordered from Target.com.  I guess if I'm going to be putting fashion shots out there I need to get me a tripod.  I would say Mr. Helen could take the photos but believe it or not by the time I am dressed he's been at work for a good hour.  Besides, he's a terrible picture taker. It's like a big crap shoot as to whether the photo will be OK to use, bless his pea pickin' heart.  Anyway, I ordered the dress because my local Tar-jay never seems to have the cute stuff in stock. 

When I ordered it, I couldn't decide between the blue and this brown that they call Rumcake, so I bought both and I'm sure glad I did! Boy oh boy do I love this dress!  I'm putting the link right here so you can properly see the crossover bodice and empire waist.  It's a knit material so it is very comfortable, plus I think it looks super for the price! You know how sometimes with an empire waist, there's so much material below it, it can make you look pregnant?  Not the case at all with this dress.  There's enough material to hide my lack of waist but I'm not swimming in it.  Now that I went and got you the link I noticed that I paired it with almost identical shoes as the model.  Hmmmm, wonder if that was subliminally put into my head?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eating after my Muay Thai workouts is always a bit of a challenge for me.  I need to eat a good combination of carbs and proteins and fats to replenish my muscle glycogen but often I have a hard time eating and I don't want to eat too much because it's generally 7:30 or even a bit later before I sit down to eat.  The easiest thing would be to make a salad but since that's generally what I eat for lunch prior to MT classes, I usually don't want another one.  After my class on Thursday night, this is what I came up with and holy YUM, it was delicious and just enough food.

This was a cup of brown rice, with 4 oz. of cooked shrimp that I cut into pieces, a cup of chopped broccoli, 2T of sliced scallions and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil with a shake of red pepper flakes.  I'll be making this again, for sure.  I actually think this would be just as good with chicken or beef.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of Muay Thai, I worked out last night for the very first time since I tore my calf muscle with no bandaging.  By the time I got home, I could feel where the injury was but I was not incapacitated.  It felt good to work out without the KT Tape but I guess I need to keep it under wraps for a bit longer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's swollen Finger Friday time.  I guess I'm stuck on my hot pinks for the summer - which I am very, very ready for!

I'm India Mood for Love
by OPI

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not much planned for the weekend.  I've been itching to get in a 7 or 8 mile run but that will depend on the weather.  When I'm not training, I'm not hardcore about getting out there in the elements.  I really am hoping the weather will clear long enough for me to string my patio lights though.  And maybe when Mr. Helen is working on Sunday I'll go looking for more flowers.  What he doesn't know won't shock him, right?

18 comments:

  1. The dress is so cute! Heading over to the website. Hope nobody sees us wearing the same dress, ackward. I am willing to take that chance. It's very flattering.

    Hope the weather cooperates and you see that 7 miles. Summer patio lights! Love it.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that dress and you look fantastic in it!!! Dana is cracking me up. Although it would be funny to attend a blog conference and have us all wearing the same outfit - hey, you never know!

    Stealth shopping. I do that a lot, although not for flowers, lol. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great in the dress, the blue one is great too. Something I would definitely buy myself too!

    Too bad you have so much rain now. You deserve sunshine after the long and cold Winter and ... you must be able to show the dress!

    Have a great weekend Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the dress! You look fantastic in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fantabulous in that dress. I usually can't find any pretty dresses at Target. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just that one line about wanting to run 7 miles gave me the incentive to take an extra long walk today--thanks Helen!

    Super cute dress. It is just the right length too. I also think those cap sleeves are very attractive. I wonder how it would look on me??

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much to comment on where do I begin? We have had lots of clouds, rain and dreary days here in Northern CA! The sun is shining today and it does brighten my mood.

    Love that dress and I am headed to Target to see if they have it in stock at my store! It's very cute!

    Love your pretty polish! I wish polish stayed on good for me but it only lasts a few days before looking nasty! Your nails are lovely!

    Hope you get to do that long run this weekend.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just checked on line and saw that the dress is only available on line!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!!!! THAT DRESS ON YOU IS FANTASTIC!!!! Oh man, I wish I had bought the rumcake while it was still available in my size. Love, love, love LOVE the color on you!!! And the nude shoes elongate your legs so, so nicely.

    Lordy, I am dead. You killed me, Helen!!

    (P.S. The sun is finally out, hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helen. LOVE LOVE the dress!!! It suits you beautifully and is so versatile - it could be dressed up or down and be perfect!!! Polish color is gorgeous too. Have a great day Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look awesome in that dress. And that dinner? I would be so all over that in a hearbeat :D

    John takes horrible pictures of me as well. I don't understand how he does it. If two people are taking my picture at the same time, one will look fine and John's will be so unflattering. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I swear I stopped by a few times today and didn't see a post, and now I see all these comments!

    Love, love, love the dress. I know what you mean about an empire waist - I have a shirt that has a higher band, like just below my boobs, then flows down straight - Tony always says it looks like a maternity top :(

    You look beautiful my dear! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, and if I can push any sun your way I will. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the dress though it's not me so I didn't bother to go to the link. It looks great on you! Seriously. I like the Fashion Friday thing that you and Shelley seem to be doing. I am considering (if we don't croak tomorrow) seriously posting a fashion friday neked.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dress does look quite lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that dress on you Helen!! So cute! And the price is awesome. Hope you get sun today, it's sunny, warm and nothing but blue skies in Chicago today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the dress. You look tiny in it. And what great legs you have young lady. :)

    I'm ordering the dress. I love summer and dresses. So easy peasy, and comfortable. Thanks for the link.

    My husband calls target tar-jay too. I thought is was a Jackism. I've never heard other people call it that before.

    Hot pink nail polishes. Me too. Finally transitioned out of the dark reds to bright pinks. So fun.

    ReplyDelete