Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tuesday Ten

10.   I felt like a complete and total slug this past weekend.  Laurie was walking 39 miles in two days for the Avon Breast Cancer Walk.  Shelley did the Big Sur 10.6 miler.  Probably around 30 people from my dojo ran various races from 5Ks to a full marathon.  Me?  Well, hmmmm.  I did manage to run 5 miles on Saturday...

9.  That 5 miler on Saturday was spectacular though!  I ran as fast as I've run in a long, long time.  Just made me happy to be running.  On the other hand - and this is true - once again, I had a car with a big, brave man drive by me and yell out the window, "Move it Fat Ass!"  I'm a magnet for this crap and I honestly don't know why.

8.  When I told Mr. Helen about it, I also told him I was considering running with a rock in my hand.  The next one to disrespect me that way?  Gets that rock thrown at their car!

7.   Why was I so generally inactive?  Because I took off work Friday-Monday.  Mr. Helen and I couldn't afford to do anything really extravagant for our anniversary so we decided to have an anniversary weekend.  What we did was treat it like it was a vacation... lots of Rib Eye Steaks, cupcakes, martinis, a couple of meals out, including a fancy dinner,  and ummmmm, actually, he got some lingerie.  Which I cannot show you.

6.  We did decide to go to the Elite/Staff training at our dojo on our anniversary.  They made a big deal out of the fact that here it was our anniversary and we were choosing to train together.  Honestly peeps, we needed to train together after all the partying.  I'm just saying.

5.  Unfortunately, during the very first set of sprints, that muscle in my calf that has been causing me agita?  It pulled and pulled hard.  Didn't drop me to my knees but did almost drop me out of the class.  Seriously, I wanted to sit down on the bench and just weep.  Instead I rubbed it and walked around for a minute and tried to figure out what to do.

4. Here's 19 years of marriage for you:  Mr. Helen pulled a hamstring in February.  Since he knew that the Shihan would be running the drills and it would be hard, as a precautionary measure, he taped and wrapped his leg.  As I stood there wanting to weep and trying to figure out how I could be part of the training that I never get to be part of due to the fact that I would normally be working, I saw that wrap on his leg and said, "Will you give me your wrap?"  And he did.  True love, no?

3.  The wrap let me at least stay in the class and once again, I had to modify many things.  When you can't push off using the power in your calves you can't sprint, nor can you do anything that requires jumping or elevating that leg.  I'm not sure I can adequately express how disappointed I was, not to mention this puts me out of running commission for at least this week.  Very discouraging.

2.  It's odd and ironic to me that I've reached the age where my brain is telling me that I can do something but my body won't let me. Honestly it's so confusing sometimes I don't even know how to react when my body betrays me.

1. “The most essential factor is persistence - the determination never to allow your energy or enthusiasm to be dampened by the discouragement that must inevitably come.”  James Whitcomb Riley

13 comments:

  1. What a great way to celebrate your anniversary Helen.

    And you did ONLY 5 miles? Girl let me tell you, it can be worse: I did 3 minutes of running this weekend LOL Guess I've won right? :)

    Sometimes I feel lazy or slow when I read about what other people do in a day or weekend but I try not to look too much at that and do my own thing and most important: feel good about that.
    I wasn't guilty at all Saturday, I've worked my butt of for 3.5 months, I deserved the right to turn around and go home :)

    It doesn't matter to me if you run 1 miles, 5 miles or a full marathon. You still will be my running inspiration and motivation and the most important thing is that you went out and did it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? When I start to run outside...I just might have to have a rock in my hand, too. When I take the boys out, people honk at me (which REALLY pisses me off if the baby is sleeping!). I hate it! I'm very insecure and I don't like that people have nasty stuff to say to people who are OUT and TRYING TO GET HEALTHY in the best way possible. It aggravates me soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Fran - I would not consider 5 miles being inactive by any stretch of the imagination!

    Helen, people are assholes, don't take it personally - you are a strong, beautiful woman and don't let the comment of a complete stranger get you down!

    But running with rocks may not be a bad idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful thing to have an anniversary weekend!

    I am sorry about your leg. Injuries just suck, plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a nice weekend with Mr. Helen. Sorry your calf is still bugging you. That stinks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did nothing but walk and run over the weekend. If anyone called me "fatass" for any reason, I would have done more than walk and run. I also drank wine and ate some horses doovers. But did a lot of walking and running - 5 miles seems like a lot to me. Especially with idiots driving by...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like such a GREAT anniversary weekend!!!! Owch though! Hope that calf heals ASAP!!!! And that the a*&hole who called out to you?? Karma will come back and bite him in his I'm sure!!!!! Have a great day Helen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you and Mr. Helen got to enjoy some relaxing time together - sounds like a nice anniversary. Cupcakes, ribeyes and lingerie? What's not love?!?

    I don't understand why people gotta be such jerks. I'd suggest carrying an apple - less evidence, lol. All you want to do is get your run on - why you have to hear such stupid remarks is beyond me.

    Hope your calf feels better. I'm sorry it's causing you to miss some running - so unfair when your body won't cooperate - doesn't it know that we battle enough with our minds already???

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOH NUMBER TWO.
    I can relate to ye wholly.

    it's frustrating---yet Im choosing, uh, motivating?
    today Im choosing motivating.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great celebration weekend!

    Sorry you are having pains, it's so frustrating when you are trying to be active and burn calories and the body won't cooperate! I hate that!

    What's wrong with people who do stuff like that guy? I don't get it, I really don't. He probably is sporting a beer belly and hasn't exercised in years himself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. About that creep in the car, I just want to smash his face in. Seriously, what kind of jerk says something like that? Makes me so damn mad I can hardly stand it. He's probably some stupid slob that no decent woman would go near. Geez, that stuff upsets me.

    Mr. Helen gave you his wrap!? I love that man. If something should ever happen to you (heaven forbid), can I have him? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you for celebrating your anniversary with a "honeymoon at home", as it were. Hmm, I wonder if I can convince my husband to do that this year. I bet I can! :)

    ReplyDelete