Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday Ten: It's Always Something

10.  I've come to the conclusion that there will always be something that can turn things upside down and throw me into serious setback mode.  I'm not just talking eating/dieting here.

9.  Having said that, the newest something is that I woke up Sunday morning with a teeny bit of pain under my right shoulder blade.  Since we'd had the munchkins, I tried to think back and remember if I had picked up anything (or anyone) too heavy or noticed any pain during our beach day. Nope.

8.  I got up yesterday morning and went out for run.  It was perfect running weather and for a change my legs felt great.  I glanced down at my Garmin and I was running 10 minute miles!  But then, I had to stop and walk because as my breathing got heavier it caused that pain to be stabbing and was knocking the breath out of me.

7.  The pain got progressively worse yesterday to the point where today, I am home from work because my entire right arm is numb and tingly and my thumb and index finger have almost no sensation. Yes, I am currently keyboarding this blog and cannot feel any of the letters I touch with my thumb or index finger.  And yes, I have called my doctor and have an appointment for 2:30 today.

6.  Thanks to Dr. Internets I have already figured out that I have a compressed nerve, probably at C6, C7. I have all the right symptoms for it anyway.  I am sure the doctor is going to tell me to rest but perhaps she can give me a prescription for a muscle relaxer and a seriously strong pain reliever because the Aleve and Motrin are not touching the pain.

5.  I got Mr. Helen to let me take a photo of his injury because I wanted him to see how bad his leg looked. This is what a leg looks like when there is a Grade 3 tear of the adductors (and this is starting to look better):


4. Yesterday a coworker suggested that Mr. Helen and I should just go check ourselves into a spa for a month so we can get better.  I wish.  And with this pinched nerve thing, I can't even claim it happened athletically. But as I've said before, I think both of us are just susceptible to miscellaneous crappy injuries and pain because of all the stress in our lives.

3.  I'll tell you what:  even though we can't go to the spa, we both are really looking forward to our vacation and we've both already said that we are taking a complete break from workouts.  We are going to rest and hopefully heal.  Well, except for swimming and snorkeling in the Caribbean sea.  But that doesn't feel like working out. With all that has been going on, we are in serious countdown mode as it's only 32 days away!

2.  This also means I've been in serious "Get Your Shizz together and Eat Right!" mode as well, which has been particularly easy these last two day since this pain is so intense I'm actually slightly nauseated.

1.  One day I'm going to write a blog and neither Mr. Helen or I will be hurt, our families will be OK, and things will just be freaking calmed down for a change.  I'm going to do that if it's the last thing I do! Promise.

16 comments:

  1. Ouchie! I do wish you guys could get a pre-get away get-away just to make sure you are travel-able! Goodness, you have had more than your share, Helen. I hope your doc is able to fix you right up - pain-easing if nothing else.

    I am awaiting Item 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how the heck did that pinched nerve thing happen? That's what I always want to know, so I can avoid it happening again.

    I'm looking forward to your vacation too LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owie! - Poor Mr. Helen - that looks painful. Hope your appointment is productive and you get some pain relief, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. It sounds like your whole team is on the bench for a while. I agree. Fitness is about health. Take it easy on the workouts. Hope everything goes well with the doc today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry things are crappy right now, Helen. They will get better for you both! I'm sure vacation will be the start of better times to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have mercy, if it's not one thing, it's another! Can I at least be happy for you that you are not at work? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang, that leg looks painful! But vacation in 32 days and it seems like you've earned it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy CRAP Helen!!!! Hope you BOTH feel better soon!!! Those 32 days can't fly by fast enough for you both!!!! Take care of each other!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for the day you can post that nothing is happening at the moment! I am in count down mode with you - although I am going to a family vacation with my Mom to Virginia the middle of August - a Saturday family reunion and then four days of all the women in our family at the lake house - heaven!

    Ouch to both of you - hope you get some pain meds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geez Helen - I hope you guys catch a break soon. And holy crap! Mr. Helen's leg. It is totally amazing it can look that way without have been beaten on. Bodies are amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Again, so sorry about all this tzuris (that's pain in the tail sh** in yiddush).
    I hope that one day at a time you start to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That doesn't sound good Helen, hope the doc gave you some meds for the pain.

    You guys deserve that vacation so much and smart to take a break from workouts. Since I'm on vacation I haven't put on my running shoes yet, don't think I'm going to. We walk and bike a lot here so it's not I'm not doing anything. I just don't feel like running now.

    Hope your injury heals soon, big hug for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ouch! That leg looks awful and your pain sounds miserable as well!

    It's not easy getting older-hubby and I sometimes have to laugh at all of our aches and pains and how easily we seem to get injured these days!

    At least you have a vacation to look forward to and a countdown to help you get through the days ahead.

    Happy Healing to the Helens!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness, get healthy, you two! This is just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my dear sweet Helen and Mister Helen you DO need a get away.

    xo xo xo

    ReplyDelete