Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday Ten

10.  Since I bought the plane tickets for our vacation, I've been a whirlwind and have already secured a rental car and our long term parking in NYC.  Ain't no stoppin' me now. Except maybe the fact that we found out yesterday that my 83 year old father-in-law has to have Open Heart Bypass Surgery. Five blockages.  But for now, we're just going to pretend that everything will be OK by the time we will be going and move forward with vacation plans.  Because really, how much should one family have to endure?

9.  Along the lines of believing that we will be going and trying to save money for lots of nice meals out during the vacay,  Mr. Helen & I will be spending most Saturday night date nights at home.  We can have a nice meal and a drink for a lot less than what it costs to go out. For example this past Saturday, our meal was Porterhouse Steaks with caramelized onions and gorgonzola butter, twice baked potatoes and green beans almondine.  We each had 1 cocktail and 1 glass of delicious red wine.  That probably would have cost us at least $150 out.  I'd say that meal probably cost $25.

8.  Also, I made Strawberry White Chocolate Streusel Bars for dessert. There's not a thing that's "low" about these but I had fresh strawberries that I needed to use up.  Besides date night is my treat night.  HOLY YUM.


7.  Probaby a very good thing that I got up and ran 5.4 really hard miles on Saturday morning, eh?  My running has not been feeling so good or even going so well.  When it's like that, even though I know it's just part of the natural cycle with running, sometimes it's hard to be motivated. But go I did, and I made myself do a super hilly route.  I figured if I'm going to be slow then it had better be hard.  I was proud that my pace was 11:45 and you would be too if you saw the monster hills I tackled.

6.  Got up Sunday and my legs were screaming at me for Saturday's run.  But my hips were also screaming at me for Saturday's dessert.  So I went out again.  This time I did a total of 5.1 miles.  I walked the first 2 miles then ran as hard as I could for the 5K.  Total time was 62 minutes but I ran the 5K in 34!!  Woot!

5.  Then I got up Monday and did another 3.15.  My legs were sore as get out.  That 5K took me 37:00 (compared to Sunday's 34:00) which is how I know I run like a crockpot - start out slow and get to cooking later on.  This is also the reason why I'm never much motivated to race 5Ks.  I'd rather do a 10K and get a faster overall time.

4.  Janell calculated that for me to lose the 900 pounds I mentioned last Friday, I need to lose approximately 56 pounds a day.  Not sure I can manage that, but I have to admit, 10 pounds total might be nice.

3.  I wonder if I could lose 20 though.  According to this magazine, that I saw while out shopping on Sunday, I could lose TWENTY by July 4th!

2.  You'll notice that verbiage says, "Melt fat like butter" not "Melt butter" which may be the key to losing that 10 or 20 pounds.  You think?

1.  I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.  Stay tuned for deeper thoughts on this...

16 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law, you guys are really having a hard time with illness in your family. Wish you and Mr. Helen strength.

    I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one struggling with running sometimes. And I admire you for going out 3 times in a row.

    We don't go out for dinner that much because of the costs. If we go we do it right and have a three course meal at least. I like your dinner and the dessert even more! Eating at home sometimes is even better tasting than going out.

    I will stay tuned for number 10 because I too have that sometimes. Interested to hearing your thoughts about this.

    by the way you, Lori and Shelley made me laugh about where I have to go. Guess I have to win the lottery and make a trip where I can visit you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how much of that melted butter is in those bars??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That strawberry streusel bar looks so yummy!

    That's a lot of running. I can't run two days in a row, I get injured too easily, so I have to do other stuff in between my running days. I wish I could run more, because I love it.

    I think the only way I could lose 20 pounds by July 4 would be to chop off my leg. And I would prefer not to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your father-in-law is in my prayers. Hospitals do those procedures ALL the time. He'll be JUST fine. My prayers are just "back up." :)

    "Got up Sunday and my legs were screaming at me for Saturday's run. But my hips were also screaming at me for Saturday's dessert."

    LOL! I'm happy your hips scream louder. That's the way to do it, girl! RUN! Go!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Number one is a big one for me too. I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Date night at home is way cheaper and can be a lot of fun. :)

    The vacation sounds like fun!!! Hope all goes well with the FIL's surgery. That's scary.

    Great job on the runs.
    And I can not even fathom losing 20 pounds by July 4th. 'Twould be a miracle. (or else I'd be very ill)

    PS: It's Kelly. Google won't let me sign in. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, the whole boredom thing. It's a bugger for me, too. I was just journaling about this very thing last night, as I was fighting off the "Snackies".

    Love your dessert (and the whole rest of the menu)! I want to have dinner at your house.

    I'm keeping the faith that everyone will be okay and that the vacation will go off without a hitch.

    PS. I would not like to have Janell as my diet coach. The End.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, five blockages?? Hope everything goes well with your FIL - and glad that you are still going through with a much needed vacation!

    I am with you on date night - I can put a stellar date night meal together for us usually for around $20 bucks, that literally would cost 150 at a restaurant, and we don't have any servers who spill red wine on us - yes, we've had FIVE instances of wine spills when we've been out - one time a server spilled a whole bottle of red on our table - took him 5 minutes to come back to clean it up, Tony's pants were ruined, and then he was like "do you want another bottle of wine?"

    I must be a crock pot runner too - the first 10 minutes I want to stop about every 10 seconds, but then after that I am fine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to eat out once in a while but like you I know I can create a wonderful meal at home for so much less money!

    Strawberry bars sound and look amazing! Perfect for date night.

    Hope all goes well for your FIL with his surgery.

    We are just starting to make some vacation plans and so far all we have done is to pick the week we are going to where-I don't know yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roxie made me laugh with her comment about Janell's diet coaching style. I dunno, maybe we SHOULD have her as our diet coach!

    I liked your hips screaming at you for eating that delicious-looking dessert, and your "crockpot" running style. I get that...back in the olden days, when I used to run, I would spend at least the first mile wanting to stop. Then? Something would kick in, and I was good to go. I'm impressed that you ran such long distances for three days in a row. You are hardcore, baby! :)

    Good thoughts and wishes for a successful surgery and recovery for your FIL. I agree, this is insane, the amount of health issues your extended family has experienced. Enough, Universe...OK?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love date nights at home! My Dad had a quintuple bypass a few years ago, and is better than ever now! I certainly wish the same for your Father in Law!!! Have a good day Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about your father in law. Sending our thoughts & prayers!

    And I love the variety of this blog post. Most days my blogs are just a continuation of random thoughts added together--- and I guess that's kind of how I like to read. :)

    Sarah @ Thinfluenced

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fine line is called knitting.
    I sometimes sit by myself and night and think "what do you want to eat?" All the time knowing I'm not hungry. Is that boredom or insanity or start doing something with your GD hands right now (and I don't mean sexting pics to people you don't know.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy yum is right!

    Best wishes and a quick recovery for your FIL.

    And nothing wrong with a little buttah...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy smokes, you were a busy runner this weekend! Staying in for dinner can be great, especially when you have such good food as what you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute. Although the weight loss info is inspiring, I REALLY want the recipe for the strawberry bars...

    ReplyDelete