Friday, August 26, 2011

Hurricanes and Helen

Unless you've been under a rock you know by now that the entire Eastern seaboard of the USA is in a frenzy due to a little lady named Irene who is coming to visit. Latest projections have her hitting my fair state smack in the middle, putting where I live on the eastern side of the storm.

Can I just be honest and say I am DREADING grocery shopping tonight? Dreading it. But I'll give it a whirl and hopefully the shelves won't be completely wiped out by the time I hit the store somewhere around 5 p.m.

In other news, I tested for my green belt in Muay Thai last night. My official photographer, Mr. Helen, couldn't have done a worse job. Honestly, the man has many abilities but taking pictures is not one of them. At all. Pretty much every photo he took of me, my back was to him, I was down on the floor on an up and down move, or not punching or kicking, and most of them are super blurry. Siiiiigh! Here is one of me lined up listening to the instructions from the Sensei as we are about to begin. You will notice he had a clear shot at me because I was the only student in the entire test who did not have a partner.


I'm not sure why people don't like partnering up with me but they don't. Being the odd man out is a problem I have constantly, even in classes, but in a class you're not being watched like a hawk by every Sensei in the dojo. So, pretty much my test sucked big time because we had to do quite a few partner drills. One of the Sensei's finally stepped in to partner up with me because, really, they had no choice. But it sucked and it also dragged up a bunch of emotions in me that I am going to spend the day working through.

In any case, in the end, I still got my green belt, partner or no. The one time I wish Mr. Helen would have attempted a photo, he chose to shoot a video lol! So here I am getting my green belt.


video


Have a great weekend and if you're on the east coast of the USA, stay safe!


15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting your green belt!! do not take this no partner thing personally...you did it, you are an inspiration and you should just come away being super proud of yourself!! :)

    Hopefully, Irene is not all they are setting her up to be...good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! If I were still going to evening classes I would SO want to be your partner!! Really and truly. Although last night I wouldn't have been your partner because I am not up for a belt at this time.

    Anyway, congrats on your belt...I know those tests are not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! What an accomplishment.

    I HATE when we're supposed to partner up for things. I've been left without a partner too and it always sucks. It's like picking teams in school. :-/

    Whatever. You got your green belt. That's something to celebrate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and be careful with Irene. Hurricanes are no joke. And I share your enthusiasm with grocery shopping before a natural disaster. It's not fun. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your green belt! That isn't fun if you don't have a partner, I would be more than happy to be your partner if we would do something together.

    Hope that Irene will pass your city and you will be safe.

    I love the new Outlook of your blog. Very fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Belt! Congrats!
    Sometimes in CrossFit, people drop out -
    and walk out - one by one.
    More than once, I have been the only one in the class!
    I guess we just keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all - love the new layout!! It's so clean.

    And I am so proud of you! Probably no one wants to partner with you because they know you will kick ass!

    Be safe this weekend - and hope you aren't left with boxed macaroni and cheese at the grocery store tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad Mr. Helen got the belt awarding on video - that was fun to see! I'd be your partner...that is, if you don't mind a partner who'd be cowering, covering her face and wincing in anticipation, lol! But yeah, I agree with the others - having to have a partner sucks and dredges up all kinds of school memories (I hated having to quickly find a lab partner - I usually ended up with the weird boy).

    Oh - CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING YOUR GREEN BELT!!! :):):)

    Can you go to the grocery store at lunchtime today? Because while it's gonna be busy, they might still have food. When Ike was predicted to come here, I think I could have bought pickles. Seriously, EVERYTHING was gone - even all the weird kinds of soup.

    Fingers crossed that Irene (what is it with the "I" hurricanes?!?) heads back out to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your Green Belt Helen!!! Well done!!!!! All the best over the next few days, be safe and take care!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the green belt. Pairing or not pairing reminds me of WAY BACK IN THE DAYS OF YORE when we did folk dancing in school and there was always someone without a partner and I think a lot of times that was me. But thank goodness there were more disgusting people to malign and shy away from or I would have done myself in by now.

    Why don't you get green toenail polish to celebrate?
    Don't get swept away by the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your green belt. I was wondering if the 'no partner' thing was related to people being intimidated by Mr. Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo Hoo on the green belt! You can kick Irene's butt!

    Let's hope we both come out on the other side of the storm with no damage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hmmm....isn't your husband a teacher? It may be a little intimidating? I can't think of any other reason. You are a nice lady. Maybe secretly, they believe you will kick their @ss. lol. Congrats on your green belt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the green belt! Well earned.
    Do you think the other students are intimidated because Mr. Helen is high up in the dojo (he is, right? Am I following the narrative correctly?)

    Hope you were okay with Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm pretty sure Chuck Norris doesn't have a partner EVER, so the same goes for Chick Norris, Helen! And CONGRATULATIONS on the green belt, whoohoo!

    I sympathise with the feelings this can evoke. I call it my superpower of invisibility. Hope you've worked through them by now, because girl, you ROCK! (Very nice to see a little bit of video of you.)

    ReplyDelete