Friday, August 19, 2011

Late Night Eating

One of the challenges I have taking Muay Thai classes in the evening is figuring out what to eat afterward.  I try to eat plenty of whole grains and some protein before the classes, as well as trying to get in the bulk of whatever I will eating that day.

It's a challenge simply because of the timing.  Sometimes by the time I get home, shower and get dinner together it's 8 o'clock.  Also, I am usually pretty hungry by then so combine pretty hungry + getting tired and it's the perfect storm for me to make bad choices.  The best option is always for me to plan dinner ahead (but that doesn't always happen!).

Lately, I have been working very diligently at eating very healthy.  Last week at the grocery store the bags of broccoli slaw were on sale for $1 so I grabbed one with the intention of making a side dish with it.


As the week went on that wasn't happening and Tuesday night when I got home and hadn't planned I opened the fridge to try to figure out what I could eat that wouldn't be too much and would balance out my day.  As I looked in the veggie drawer and saw the broccoli slaw I remembered that umpteen years ago I used to make a pita pocket with a similar mix of veggies that I had shredded myself.  So I decided to give it a go.  It came out FABULOUS!  Even better than what I remembered.  So last night, I decided to make it again with the intention of taking photos and blogging it.

Picked up the camera and SIIIIIIIIIGH it was dead.  But because I am not a food blogger, that doesn't stop me, so I immediately picked up my phone.  Herewith, I present my Veggie Stir Fry Pita, all photos compliments of crappy iPhone camera!

First I sliced up about 1/3 cup onions and 1/2 cup mushrooms.  Threw them in a non-stick skillet with 2 tsp. olive oil:


Once the onions are clear and the mushrooms are getting soft and release water, throw in 4 oz. of the broccoli slaw:


Stir fry that on pretty high heat until the veggies start to slightly brown.  Turn heat off, divide the veggies into 2 piles.  Put a slice of reduced fat cheese over each pile (I used Sargento Reduced Fat Medium Cheddar) and cover to let cheese melt.


Take a large whole wheat pita (I had Sahara brand), split it in half, then shovel each pile into each half of the pita.

I also like banana pepper slices on mine, so they were added to the mix.

If you make this just like I did, the nutrition facts are:
272 Calories
37g carbs (all of which are from whole grains and vegetables!)
11g fat
10g protein

This was a perfect dinner that satisfied my rumbling tummy but didn't fill me up so much that I was uncomfortable when it was time for bed just a short while later.  I'll be making this again!



13 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious and filling. I just bought a bag of broccoli slaw and am going to make a salad dish with it. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - love the photos Helen!! I love that broccoli slaw - so easy to make stir frys, I can't wait to grocery shop this weekend and get some veggies - its been way too long!

    Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always forget about broccoli slaw - thanks for the reminder...you can do so much with it (that is, IF you actually buy it, lol).

    I'm impressed that you cooked after working out at night...I'm usually too beat (hey, yoga is hard!) to do much more than open a container of greek yogurt and throw on some granola.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a bream about broccoli slaw, and it turned out awful... Not for me, but tasty pictures.. Cheese on a hub cap would be good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does Mr. Helen cook? I would have premade meals that you can just reheat while showering - or one that takes a couple minutes in the micro. Then the wait is less. I have to do this if my dinner is late, which is one of my biggest pet peeves LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh...I never thought of cooking broccoli slaw but will definitely try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Helen. This looks like a perfect apres workout dinner. Have a good Friday Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum yum. Everything's better with mushrooms and onions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of broccoli slaw before but that's probably because you can't buy that over here. The dish looks delicious.

    We always eat dinner early around 5.30/6.00 pm and because I'm home between 4 and 4.30 I do my evening workouts before dinner. To me that's easy because I don't follow classes. Is it an option to try and cook the evening before so all you have to do is heat it up?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delish! I love me some mushrooms AND onions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks good...my danger zone is right after my workout. I could eat a horse after my workout. eating pistachio nuts (having to shell them each) really slows me down and helps me fill up. lol. Maybe that is the secret...I need all my food to be in it's original packaging...kill the cow...dress the cow...then cook the cow. takes time...I'm done. That does look good. Anything that smacks of mexican is a big one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helen, thanks for the comment on my blog a few days ago. I really appreciate it. You were thinking the same thing I was when I wrote it - it was a play on the words of Paul, but entirely relevant to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Broccoli slaw, great idea!
    I am going to dig out my mandolin soon; I love cabbage slaw, but I prefer fresh cabbage instead of the bag.

    ReplyDelete