Monday, August 29, 2011

A Sigh of Relief

We spent all day Saturday battening down the hatches. We removed everything from the patio, filled containers with water, cleaned the house from top to bottom, did all the laundry, charged up iPods and cell phones. We really tried to do anything and everything that required electricity.

By the time Irene arrived she was only briefly a Category 1 hurricane and was quickly downgraded to a tropical storm. The Helen household survived Irene with no damage and no loss of power. Color me astonished, as if you drove through the area I live in, it looks like a war zone. We were some of the lucky few in terms of electricty. The power outages were spotty enough to make absolutely no sense. By last night there were 700,000 people in my state with no power and also many who were flooded out of their homes, especially those in the western part of the state, which was also on the western part of the storm with the heaviest rain. We were on the eastern side so we had heavier winds that lasted much of the day yesterday.

I ran on the treadmill this morning as the time frame I run it is now dark. I was afraid of perhaps tripping on debris. As I drove to work and saw all the debris along the sides of the road I was glad I made that decision.

Here are a few snapshots and a link to some much better photos. I took a video of the wind but I've been trying to upload it for over 3 hours and it's only 32 seconds long so I've given up! If I can get it to load I'll add it to another post, another time.

Poor forlorn patio. But at least our cleanup will consist of just bunches of leaves and dirt and not downed trees! My father-in-law had two trees fall into his yard and take out his fence. Not even his trees. The neighbor has already promised to clean it up and repair his fence.



Snapshots off the TV. First one is showing the windgusts. My city is across the river from Groton on the right side of the state. You can see we were getting the hardest gusts. This is after the storm had moved through.





This is a shot from a camera that is pointed to our waterfront where the ferries are that run between New London and Long Island and Block Island. Look closely and you'll see that the front part of the photo is a parking lot that is flooding!



Here is a link that shows more typical damage around the city I live in as well as nearby towns. If you click on it you'll see why I am so amazed that all we'll have to clean up is some leaves.


Lots of things are still closed and school openings have been delayed. No Amtrak or commuter rail service in the state.


The weather forecast for the week is excellent: sunny and 78ish during daylight hours and low 60s overnight - nature's A/C - a very good thing as our local utility says it may be the better park of a week before everyone has power back. Almost 50% of their customers are still without power as of this morning. And to think that my state is only a tiny piece of the puzzle of this storm!


During the past couple of weeks I'd had opportunity to see the bad side of people and to feel disappointed by some behaviors I'd seen. It was nice to see the opposite of that during the storm. It was refreshing to see the kindness of people - those who had offering everything to those who did not. Too bad it takes something like this to bring it out, but I'll enjoy it while I can.

14 comments:

  1. SO glad you escape unscathed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the picture link you posted, it's amazing that the storm had such little impact on you...I'm very relieved to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you and Mr. Helen are okay and that you have such little damage. Looking at the photos it could have been much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the same thing here. Power outages and trees and limbs down except for our block pretty much. I just lost a couple flowers and that was it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were one of the lucky ones Helen! So glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you came through Irene's visit unscathed! Big yay Helen!!!!!!! May this week bring you better weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are safe and sound Helen. Once I was in a flash flood, and people were unbelievably kind and helpful during that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You deserve a break after all the slams you've had. Glad you made it through unscarred. We, too, were very lucky and I am truly grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A couple of miles to the south of you...we lost power for about 12 hours and we lost an amazing tree...I will be blogging with photos about it but haven't had the chance yet. All in all we were incredibly lucky...I am so grateful and I'm glad you guys weathered the storm in one piece too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so so so glad you made it through ok.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad that you didn't get hit as hard as they said it was, but you know what - better safe than sorry. I think after Katrina I'd rather be over prepared vs. under prepared.

    I've been loving God's air conditioning too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad ass is well - I was thinking of you for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you made it safe through it all, Helen! Really so, SO glad!

    I wouldn't even know what it feels like to be in such a storm. We've never had anything like it, but I'm pretty sure the winds would have peeled off my rickety roof.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You guys were very smart to put away everything before the storm. Glad you were all okay!

    ReplyDelete