Friday, November 4, 2011

Attitudinal

I so appreciate the thoughts and kind words on my Wednesday post.  It felt like hugs from around the world.  We are doing fine but still in a bit of shock and denial that David is gone. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As usual on Wednesday morning, I watched the Biggest Loser while running on my treadmill.  This weeks lesson came from something I saw rather than what was said.

Attitude matters.

The oldest female contestant on the show, Bonnie,  has been training with Anna Kournikova.  For whatever reason these two just did not mesh.  (I'll admit I've wondered if she resented being told what to do by a person so much younger than she?)  Even considering her age, her weight losses have been OK, but not the usual spectacular results that are generally achieved. Something always just seemed off and I know even out here in blogland a lot of people put the blame squarely on Anna, the trainer.

This week's episode included a trainer swap so that almost everyone ended up with someone new, including Bonnie.  She made no bones about letting everyone know how happy she was about the switch.  So the new teams (no longer divided by age but made up of teams with one each of young, mid, and older) work out like crazy with their new trainers and go for the weigh in.  You would think that since Anna was such a "terrible" trainer her team would suck once again, right?  I mean, even the people on her new team barely gave her the benefit of the doubt at the beginning.  Surprise!  Her team actually won the weigh in overall.  However what or maybe I should say who was really telling was Bonnie.  With the switch, her attitude towards the training did a 180.  Nothing that she was being given to do was any harder than anything Anna ever gave her to do - in fact, some of it might have been harder.  But her attitude towards her trainer (my new boyfriend, Dolvett) was completely different.  In the end, she lost 7 lbs., which I believe is her largest weight loss to date.  The only thing that changed was her attitude.

Needless to say with my upcoming challenge which starts on Monday, I've been thinking a lot about that. As I said before there are some aspects of this challenge that indeed are going to be a true challenge for me.  I've spent a day or so having the hissy fit Mr. Helen thought I would but I think I'm mostly over it.  Come back Monday for a play-by-play and honest opinions.  In the meantime, I think I will spend the weekend working on my attitude as well as my meal plans. I want to have the best results possible, after all.

Attitude matters.

10 comments:

  1. I too believe attitude matters. I repinned the same pic as you have posted here. Somehow you seem to know what's on my mind because you have a subject every week that is so me at that moment. I'm having attitude problems this week too in relation to exercise. Eating goes as planned but I find it hard to exercise and haven't done much this week. So yesterday I thought about it a lot and as of tomorrow I am going to change my attitude.

    Good luck on your challenge, look forward hearing more about it and how it's working for you. For now: have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally had time to watch it last night and I couldn't agree more with your post. After my food overload yesterday, I am back on track today - I still don't know why I wanted to eat everything that wasn't nailed to the ground yesterday!

    So here's to a new day and a new challenge - I think we'll both do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't believe Bonnie didn't get eliminated last night. She must be better in person, because she drives me nuts.

    You know what I thought? With almost all of the players having big losses, I wondered if part of it was that switching up your exercise regime that we are all advised to do. Just having a different trainer would switch up your exercise regime to a certain extent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to fast-forward every time Bonnie was on the screen - I just could NOT TAKE any more of her crying!!! But, I was shocked and amazed that Anna's new team did so well, and I agree, attitude and complacency plays a HUGE role in everything. I'm also thinking that Debby is right...switching up trainers and routines made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attitude is everything!

    And regarding the paleo, please feel free to email me. It's not that bad at all, and quite enjoyable. Don't think about what you can't have, but all the wonderful things you *can* eat (hello fats!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Anna. I think she is smart and compassionate and knows her stuff. Bonnie was really bugging me with all her whining. But, again, it is the producers that bend this stuff like it is. They show us what they want us to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Helen, I'm new to your blog. I love it. I was happy to see this post because I also had similar feelings while watching the last to Biggest Loser episodes. There was a lot of whining going on in this week's show when the teams got changed. I would give anything for a week or two on the ranch with any trainer! I really liked how Anna dealt with the emotions of her new blue team. Her advice was spot on, out in the world you have to do this yourself so it doesn't matter who is training you just give it your all. I was happy to see that the blue team triumphed on the scale. I was surprised that Bonnie didn't get eliminated.

    I used to be a very negative person because I was so unhappy with myself. That didn't get me too far. Attitude is everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Helen, I'm soooo behind in my blog reading. It's been a crazy week, but NOTHING compared to the loss of David. I am so sorry for your loss, and I'm sending a belated hug across the miles to you and Mr. Helen. And I'm carrying your words with me today - attitude IS everything. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't watch the show, but based on what you said it seems to me that it wasn't just that Bonnie's attitude changed, but once she had the obstacle that was in front of her and was distracting her from her goal, she was able to succeed. Sometimes there are just people in our lives who act like obstacles like that, who upset and annoy us so much we can't get past it. I have had that happen a few times at work. So frustrating, but life was just so much better once they were gone. I knew it wasn't them, it was the way I was reacting to them, but I couldn't get myself out of the cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we all have times we just want to sit down and tell everyone to screw off. lol. sounds like that lady did not like anna whatserface. I don't have regular tv so don't get to watch the newer stuff. Attitude is nearly everything...and it is all from the brain pan. Good post. Hope things go well.

    ReplyDelete