Thursday, November 10, 2011

I Expect Weight Loss

As promised I'm address some of the questions and comments I've gotten this week over the Zero Excuses Challenge and the Paleo diet I am trying in conjuction with it.


Fran asked: do you have to do your fitness exercise 7 days a week or do you get a "day off"? 
The exercise program is set up so that we exercise 6 days a week.  M, T, Th, F, Sa we have an upper body exercise, a lower body exercise, and a core exercise, followed by cardio.  The daily strength training alternates between pushing exercises (like a chest press) and pulling exercises (like a chest row).  Wednesday we get a break and get to do cardio only and Sunday is a complete day of rest.  I have to admit I'm looking forward to Sunday.


Karen asked: Are you going to work your Muay Thai kickboxing workouts into the challenge's workouts...or will kickboxing be in addition?
I will be doing my Muay Thai in addition to the other workouts.  When I did my very first workout I was thrilled to discover that I'm much stronger than I thought I was and I give all the credit to Muay Thai.  Having said that, I thought I was going to D-I-E at Muay Thai on Tuesday night.  I didn't realize how much that extra hour of exercise Tuesday morning would affect me!


Lori saidAnd strength training every day? I don't think I could do that.
Yes you could Lori!  Because it's only 3 exercises per day and they work all different areas... not at all like the strength training you usually do!  This morning I did supersets of  Dumbbell Shoulder Presses, Standing Calf Raises (1 set of 25 each then rest one minute and repeat).  Finish with 5 sets of 10 Seated Knee Raises with 20 seconds of rest between each set.


And many of you are looking to find out more about the Paleo food plan.  I think the best way for me to share with you will be through some of my recipe experiments, but basically, Paleo does not include grains, dairy, gluten, sugars of any kind.  If you really look around the internet, you'll see most Paleo eaters use coconut flour, almond flour, etc.  No wheat!  The emphasis is on lean meats, healthy oils, fruits and vegetables.  In my search to find more definitive information, I came across this website which actually has lists of foods to eat, to be moderate with and to avoid.  Click there if you'd like some more information. 


Again, while I know this will not be something I want to do forever, I am hoping that by trying it as strictly as I can for a couple of weeks, it might jump start my weight loss.  Having said that,  I am not willing to buy odd ingredients that I won't use in the future nor am I willing to substitute certain things (I'm talking to you, spaghetti squash).  Honestly, I'd rather have no pasta at all until I'm ready to re-incorporate it.

Based on how I've been feeling these past few days (cranky and grouchy extremely hungry first thing in the morning), and from the carbohydrate restriction alone, I definitely expect to see weight loss this first week. Carbohydrates help to retain water (that's why distance runners carbo load prior to a race!) and without them, water flushes out.  I think the hook for me will be to see continued weight loss in the weeks that follow.

Look for my first weigh-in on the Zero Scale on Monday.  As curious as I am even today, I'm going to keep my weigh-ins to once a week.  Before the end of the challenge, I will be able to offer a discount for anyone who wants to purchase the scale so keep your eyes peeled for that!

11 comments:

  1. I so recognize the being extremely hungry first thing in the morning. I have that too, even after 4 weeks of low carb. I don't eat breakfast before my workouts but I think I'm going to "cheat" on my running days and eat a banana before I head out of the door.

    It looks a lot like the low carb I'm doing. I bought almond and coconut flower too to make my own crackers for breakfast. Because after 4 weeks I feel great and have lots of energy I think I will continue this low carb eating for a while.

    I looked at the list and I'm happy for you you won't have to give up your alligator meat LOL.

    The exercise challenge sounds very good to do.

    Thanks for explaining more about the program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I picture your post title with your fist up, threatening this diet "I EXPECT weight loss (you piece of @#$%&)" - am I close? ;)

    And I say waking up hungry means that you ARE losing weight, so hang onto that (as you want to chew your arm off)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at Shelley's description of your post title.

    Not a fan of spaghetti squash either, but I have come to love the combo of sauteed carrot and zucchini strings along with onions and mushrooms.

    Are you planning to try baking with the coconut and almond flours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck....I gave spaghetti squash a second chance and it was better. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that link Helen - I did add some dairy to my coffee yesterday - don't think 1 tablespoon of half and half is going to break the bank!

    And the workouts ARE HARD! Today I did the standing calf raise with 95 pounds - then decided to do the stair machine for my cardio - I was short on time so I ended up doing 3 minutes of sprint to 1 minute of normal for 25 minutes - holy shizz I was dripping wet! I did 175 flights of stairs in that time.

    I couldn't wait to step on the scale - so I did - I zeroed out the scale on Monday and today I was down 1.4 (think mostly for ditching the wine!).

    Here's to day 4!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the explanation of the plan Helen. I am intrigued with it.

    I like how the strength training is spread out and you work on a little at a time. That is so doable!

    Thanks for the link I am off to check out the food plan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you eating more fat? Make sure if you are lowering your carbs that you are increasing your fat so you aren't grouchy and crabby.

    I am so with you on the fake pasta. And no way in hell cauliflower will *ever* taste like mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with making sure you're getting plenty of healthy fats...

    I'm starting to realize that working out too hard has worked *against* me (that's why I asked about Muay Thai...and with you saying that the workouts seemed easy it reminds me of what Mizfit often says...that less is more in terms of working out). I am completely revamping my exercise routine as a result...

    I am also looking to incorporate more coconut (in all forms) into my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go Helen Go! Look forward to your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that zero scale idea so much I may buy one. And
    GO HELEN!!! lol. I know you can do it, you have got all kinds of tough in you and now it's pointed at weight loss. It won't stick around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. and I imagine you waggling your fists at the sky through out this entire post :)

    ReplyDelete