Friday, November 18, 2011

Joy and Pain

Brrrrrr!  It was c-o-l-d this morning when I went out to run - 34 degrees!  I had to pull out my winter running gear.  But at least there was no wind and honestly, there's something to be said for running by moonlight as dawn is breaking.  Here's a skyline shot from the patio just as I got back home:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Interesting how things I see in everyday life now remind me of blogging friends.  In the last week, I saw this, on the car of a person who keeps parking next to me at work lately - have no idea whose car it is, but I immediately thought of Lori!


On Monday, I was making a salad for lunch so I pulled out the fixings and saw something that made me think of Fran.
For some reason, it amused me greatly that my mini cucumbers were from Holland!  What the heck are they doing all the way over here?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I stated earlier in the week, I have been looking for the lusciousness factor with my Paleo food and boy oh boy did I score with one of this week's meals! 

To begin with, I made this beef that Biz had mentioned on her blog.  I cooked it in the crockpot while at work on Monday - no fussiness about that at all.  Once I got home, I shredded and chopped it a bit.  Hmmmm how to eat?  I decided to do a lettuce wrap.  A butter lettuce leaf, some beef, some chopped tomatoes, and some guacamole.  Hands down my favorite meal of the week.  Let me tell you, no matter how you intend to use the beef once it's cooked, it's so good.  In fact as we ate dinner Monday night, Mr. Helen kept looking at my plate and talking about he was going to make it using a real tortilla style wrap.   This is definitely a keeper!  Here's a photo of all my stuff ready to assemble:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow we will attend the memorial service for our brother-in-law who passed away.  Not so much with me, but with members of Mr. Helen's immediate family this seems to have dragged up some of their feelings about losing Pam.  I don't expect it to be easy and I'll be glad when it's over.

This also happens to fall right smack dab in the middle of Mr. Helen's Third Degree Black Belt testing, which up to this point had been our planned focus of the weekend.  He has three sessions to get through: 7-9 pm tonight, 6-8 am tomorrow morning and 1-3 pm tomorrow afternoon.  The memorial service is at 10 am.  Maybe it's a good thing that he will have to go back to testing and sweat it out. 

I am awed by him and his mad skillz so I'm sure there will be photos/videos next week.  The man is 56 years old, fit and healthy, but more so he really is a super athlete.  Do you know what he did last weekend?  He tried to simulate what he would have to go through this weekend!  Friday, after working all day he came home and ran 2 miles as fast as he could (that's the run requirement).  Saturday morning he got up and went to the special prep class from 7:30-9 then came home and proceeded to work out THREE more hours.  During that three hours in addition to going through all his weapons and katas, he lifted weights, did umpteen sets of pushups and situps, and ran 4 miles.  He finished the workout with 22 - yes that's twenty-two - sprints up our hill.  He's ah-mazing!

Joy and pain.  Sunshine and rain.  That's my weekend, how about yours?

Come back Monday for my second update on the Zero Excuses Challenge, and I'll answer some more of the questions I've been asked this week.

10 comments:

  1. His commitment to his exercise is inspiring. How cool to live with someone like that although if I were having an off day I bet it would be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean there's ANOTHER super athlete in the family? :)

    Love the first picture of dawn breaking. And thanks for the recipe recommendation--off to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Up and out of there! in the dang cold.
    You are hot and cool at the same time!
    And a better woman than I!
    ps: wraps rule the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo - a Lake George Tourist!

    Good luck to Mr. Helen. You are both athletes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Debby's comment. :) She's right!!!

    Forget how much I like lettuce wraps until I see them - thanks for the reminder! So glad you're enjoying the eats on this diet.

    What a weekend you have ahead. Much good luck to Mr. Helen as he goes for his belt test - I have no doubt that he'll pass. What a huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending hugs your way - I know your BIL's service will be hard, as you are correct it will just bring up the loss of Pam again.

    Mr. H is a machine! I have been so busy at work these last few days, I haven't exercised since Tuesday and Hannah and I went out for Mexican last night, and while I got the fajitas no tortillas, I did have tortilla chips and salsa - so good!

    I agree, I am not sure this diet is a long term diet for me - I plan to get back on track though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo...those lettuce wraps are a great idea! I may do a turkey "taco" night that way...

    And I know Sensei will rock it this weekend...yes, he's an amazing athlete but man does that guy have heart and that's what impresses me most about him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending warm wishes and hugs to you and Mr. Helen for the service tomorrow. Take care of each other!! And BIG congrats to him...wow...he's a MACHINE!!! Take care Helen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Helen is amazing! Hope all his tests go great but I have no doubt about that.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the cucumbers in store here are from the USA. Sometimes it doesn't make sense right :) But I'm touched I was in your thoughts last week.

    Wish you strength at the memorial service, won't be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. late here
    still sending you thoughts of hope and healing for yesterdays service.

    xo

    carla

    ReplyDelete