Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Life is Shorter than You Think

Over the last week or so I've been thinking a lot about how time seems to fly by as you age.  While my favorite times of year - summer, early fall, go by in a blink, winter and spring drag on and it should even out.  But it doesn't and each year seems shorter than the 365 days alloted.

Yesterday morning, I was sitting at my desk when I recieved a phone call that made time stop but also reminded me that our days are numbered and life is short.

My brother-in-law, David passed away unexpectedly.  David, as you remember was married to Pam, Mr. Helen's sister who died last June.  He was only 56 years old.  We don't have many details yet, only that some sort of fall was involved, that he some how got to the hospital and died there. He was making plans to come back to Connecticut because literally all of his family - his only sister and only cousin, as well as most of  us - his in-laws, live here.  I can only hold on to the belief that he is at peace and reunited with his beloved Pammy, as he called her.

Taken in 2008 at their 25th Wedding Anniversary party.

Thank you David for your presence in our lives.  Thank you for being such a great uncle to Little Helen... for taking her out for dinner every single time you went to Washington DC on business.  For calling her weekly to make sure she was OK.  I'm sorry you were alone but I hope you know how much you were loved. 

Rest in peace with Pammy.

18 comments:

  1. Rest in peace David.

    Wish you and Mr. Helen strength with dealing with this loss Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart hurts. You and your family have been through so much. Did they have kids? I am thinking about the trauma of losing both of your parents so quickly. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your family. This is a very poignant post, Helen, and also a very wise one. Thanks for reminding us that life is indeed short and unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still can't believe it Helen - I think the only solace is that now he and Pam are back together!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry about this - and I hope the family can find peace in knowing that David and Pam are reunited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

    Also, you're so very right...life goes by way too fast. I work in a retirement community and the men and women residents there remind of that fact every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heartbreaking. I'm so very sorry for you and the family.
    Rest in peace, David and Pammy.

    Yes, life is too short. Enjoy each single, precious day.

    Hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Helen, I'm so very sorry. Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for your families loss Helen. He sounds like a wonderful caring man. They say we should live each day as if it is our last.

    Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry for your loss, Helen. What a wonderful Uncle he was. There have been a plethora of people dying at 56 years old recently. Very sobering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear about your BIL. May he rest in peace with his beloved Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Helen, I am so sorry for your family's loss. May he rest in peace with Pammy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry...what a rough year for all of you. It does go fast, and each year seems to go faster...the more I try to grip the time, the faster it slides. hugs and prayers to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very sorry for your family's loss. In a strange metaphysical way, it's romantic. As if his soul wanted to be with Pam so much it refused to linger on earth. I hope they are both holding hands right now.

    And I hope your family finds peace and grace in this hard, hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very sorry to hear this Helen - my condolences to you and your family.
    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete