Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Midweek Mix

Mr. Helen was as amazing as I thought he'd be during his testing.  The testing took place during 3 two-hour sessions.  The second session was 6-8 am on Saturday morning.  They started off with many boot camp style exercises - 500 Jumping Jacks, 250 pushups, 300 crunches, running in place, etc.  Then it was light outside and they went out for their run.  It is about 2.25 miles and they tell the students they need to do a 10 minute mile so about 22 minutes.  Mr. Helen did it in 16:50.

Once everyone was in they made them run over to a bank parking lot that has a hill and proceeded to drill them with hill sprints and bear crawls - forwards and backwards! - for 45 minutes.  Then the Shihan told them they had to run again, only the route they did this time was 2.5 miles.  He actually gave them 30 minutes to complete it since their legs were worn out.  Mr. Helen did it in 19:15. Holy speed batman!

He passed.

I'm scared though.  In a year I'll be going through those same drills.  I don't care that I won't be near that fast, although I am hoping over the next year to get close to the 10 minute mile.  What scares me is the sheer physicality of it all.

Unlike Mr. Helen, I am a mere mortal.

Perfect pushup form!

Hundreds, maybe a thousand situps done

Coming in from the first run.  He took it easy (16:00 minutes - ha!)

Cheering on the other candidates.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was recently given the most unexpected, nicest gift.  One of my coworkers approached me and asked me if I would like a really nice, brand new running jacket. Well, that's a silly question!  The next day she came to my office with this!

This is a gorgeous jacket.  It is mesh lined so that it breathes while you run along with wicking and reflective properties.  One of the really cool features is on the back.  There's a switch inside the jacket that turns on a flashing bar so that people/bikes/cars approaching from the rear see you better.

Alas once I had it home and looked carefully this is what I saw:

Sigh. I am not a medium right now peeps.  My first thought was that I'd ask Little Helen if she wanted it and if she didn't then I'd send it off to Shelley.  Then I thought, why not keep it and use it as a reward for making goal! Because when I get to goal (hopefully sometime in 2012) I will be a medium again!  Sorry Shelley, that's what I decided to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't have much more to say.  I'm off work today baking and making pies and prepping the sweet potatoes for our Thanksgiving meal tomorrow.  I will be making this again.  I have a feeling it is going to become a regular holiday dessert.


I won't be blogging anymore this week - my Little Helen is coming home and it has been 11 months since I've seen her!  She and I have some fun things planned and ultimately, cherishing time with family is the most important thing.

I am thankful for all of my blogging friends - I don't care what anyone says, you're real to me!  Happy Thanksgiving!


16 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your kickass family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Helen is absolutely awesome. I can only hope I will be in the same good shape he is when I reach his age. Congratulate him from me, fantastic! And do not worry about yourself: you'll pass too next year.

    I think it's a great idea to keep the jacket. I bet you will wear it soon.

    Dear Helen, you're absolutely right to spend time with your lovely daughter and family. We'll see you back on your blog after Thanksgiving.

    For now: Happy Thanksgiving to you, Mr. Helen en Little Helen and I'm thankful for your friendship too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your visit with Little Helen and the rest of your family!!

    I am thankful to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!
    And Happy Thanksgiving to you- and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Helen! That cake looks amazing!!!

    Enjoy your time with Little Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for Mr. Helen! Um, those times are amazing!

    Woot for Little Helen coming home - can't believe its been that long since you've seen her - you do have lots to be thankful for even with all the sadness this year.

    I have no doubt you'll fit into that jacket! Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving!

    Biz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a Happy Thanksgiving Helen! Enjoy your time with your little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn, thanks for getting my hopes up, notch! ;)

    J/K - it's a great idea to keep for one of your many rewards you should get for reaching your goal, whatever weight/size you decide that will be. Did I say many rewards? Yes, I did - because dangit, you have to work harder than most to get there. So reward accordingly! :)

    Even more impressive than Mr. Helen's black belt accomplishment (which is DAMN impressive) is the fact that he ran in his uniform...what - no technical gear?!? What about chafing? Too personal? Hey, I worry.

    Hope you have a wonderful visit with your girl. Happy Turkey Day, my (real) friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Helen is amazing! The cake looks amazing too. Happy Thanksgiving to the "Helen's." Enjoy your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in total awe of Mr. Helen. Wow... just wow.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Helen!

    And what is that cake??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving Helen! The cake of my dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One day, I'd like to be as fit as Mr. Helen. And one day, I'd like some of that cake!! LOVE the running jacket! Have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving - you and all the Helen family. Sounds like you'll have great time. Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cake looks awesome! Your husband looks fit and you will be in a medium in no time! YOu are real to me too. And I appreciate all the support I get in blogland. It makes this whole journey more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. late to this but thankful for YOU none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Helen, I have read your entire blog. You are amazing and such an inspiration. I want to be just like you when I grow up. This is going to be difficult since I am older than you lol. Thanks to you I am off to take a long walk. Keep doing what you do - it is helping others. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete