Friday, November 11, 2011

Never Enough Ways to Say Thank You

I have run the Marine Corps Marathon twice.  It's my favorite race because you basically run through American history.  Plus I get to see my favorite monument of all, based on this photo:


Here's a photo of me with the monument and a friend who had come to support me when I last ran that race in 2008.

I also live in a military community with a Naval Submarine Base.  Mr. Helen is a butcher in the commissary at the base so he has daily contact with military folks of all ages - from the baby 18 year olds who are there for the submarine school to the 90 year old retirees.  You know what he says they appreciate more than anything?  A simple "thank you." 

So today I salute our veterans, active duty and retired.  Thank you for all you have done to secure my freedom.  I also want to say thank you to their families who send their fathers, brothers, sons, daughters, sisters and mothers into the battle not knowing if or when they will return.

If you know a veteran, please make an extra effort to thank them today.  If you don't, you can always say your thank you silently to the universe.  I'm sure they'll feel it.

6 comments:

  1. Thumbs up to this post, and Thank You to our Veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! The more I read about all the violence and uncertainty in foreign countries the more thankful I am every day that we have such a strong military to protect us! THANK YOU VETERANS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for this reminder, Helen! I'm pretty sure we will have something or other at our church Sunday. I will make a special effort to thank some of the men personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post Helen. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The statue is famous all over the world. Veterans day here in Holland is always in June. I do know a veteran, he's my brother in law who has been held hostage in Bosnia during the war a few years back. Till today this influences his life, if something like this happens to you, you never forget. I can't even imagine what he must have gone through. All I know is that we as a family had a couple of scary days too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we did this.
    as a family.

    xo


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete