Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tuesday Ten

10.  I can't believe that three weeks from Thursday, it's THANKSGIVING.  I haven't even begun to plan for that.  Where did 2011 go?  I am beginning to believe that time really does pass by faster as you get older.  Not sure I like it though.

9.  I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving because Little Helen will be home!  We haven't seen her since last December. 

8.  Last Saturday, Mr. Helen was once again willing to show that I won the football picks that week.

7.  Here's my meal:  Penne pasta with grilled chicken in a pesto alfredo.  It was soooooo good.  You know what else I loved?  It was at max a cup and a half of pasta.  Along with the bread and flavored olive oil that was served with it, there was plenty of food.  Supposedly since we were taking advantage of the restaurant week deal and lunch was 'only' $10.11 for appetizer or dessert plus an entree, the portions were downsized.  I thought it was perfect! I wish more restaurants would lower their prices and serve smaller portions!



6. I was so excited to find this item at BJ's.  It's our very favorite cheese that we only find in St. Martin as it's a French cheese.  I didn't even care how much it cost (in fact I didn't even look), it felt like I was bringing St. Martin home.

5.  We've been talking and dreaming a lot about St. Martin lately, I think because of the freak October cold and snow. Trying to generate warmth through warm thoughts, you know.  My part of the state only had a dusting and we never lost power.  Just forty-five minutes drive north or north west of me there are towns with 100% power outage and a FOOT of snow!  It has been in the twenties at night.

4.  Last night at our celebaration of the 25th anniversary of our first date, we went to Mystic to take advantage of the restaurant week deals - $20.11 for an appetizer, main course and dessert.  Appropriate also because our first date started in Mystic.  Towards the end of our meal, a couple was seated at the table next to us and we started chatting.  They had come to Mystic and checked into a hotel because they had no power and no water since they have a well.  Their power isn't expected to be on until the end of this week. Again, it has been in the twenties at night.

3.  Dinner was delicious:  I had a mixed salad, hangar steak that was served with spinach - yum! - and mashed potatoes but I swapped Mr. Helen for some of his risotto, with pumpkin bread pudding for dessert.  (Mr. Helen had spring rolls, duck breast with risotto and bread pudding).  Again, smaller portions but plenty of food.


2.  All of the food related socialization over the last couple of weeks got us to talking about food and what sort of role it plays for us individually.  He very much enjoys good food - but it really is so much more of a basic I'm hungry my body needs fuel so I'll eat thing with him.  I thought it was hilarious when Mr. Helen said, "This new challenge thingy you're doing?  I hope they don't restrict you because if there's one thing I know about you is that someone telling you that "You Can't" makes you stomp your foot and tantrum like a 2 year old." Actually I think he's afraid my foot stomping is going to destroy his peace lol!  He knows me pretty well after all these years.

1.  Ironically when we got home, I had received some preliminary information about the challenge and, well, it looks like it really is going to be a challenge for me.  But I'm trying to keep a few things in mind.  Stay tuned.

7 comments:

  1. I am SO with you on wishing restaurants would serve smaller portions for smaller prices. La Belle Aurore in Niantic offers half portions of some of its entrees and their food is also so fresh and well-prepared!

    And I have to say that for me, food will never be just fuel. I remember going through a phase where I kept telling myself, food is fuel, food is fuel and it never resonated. And recently I had an ah-ha moment: humans are wired for pleasure. Just like sex isn't just for procreation, food isn't just for fuel.

    That said, overeating isn't pleasurable. So it for me it has become about finding more pleasure in less food, and that usually means the food has to be really high-quality and nutritious...giving the biggest bang for my pleasure and health buck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I go out to a fancy place - like Chili's, or Olive Garden lol -
    I put half the food in a to go box before I even eat off the plate.
    I have them do it. So I don't have to worry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Size of the portions here is different in every restaurant. Saturday I was really full after the main course. R. asked me if I was full because I hadn't eaten as much as I used to do. Guess that's a good thing.

    Maybe a stupid question but where does Little Helen live? I can imagine how happy you must be seeing her at Thanksgiving.

    Sounds like you had a few great evening with the love of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, I can't concentrate after reading about pesto alfredo - with penne, my favorite form of pasta. What a perfect meal! I'm with you - I like the smaller portions. Which is why Jeff and I end up splitting many restaurant meals (or wishing we had) - I like feeling satisfied but not stuffed.

    Isn't it funny how certain things are a must buy, just for the memories? Love that you found your special cheese!

    And I'm so glad you will get to see your girl soon. Nearly a year is too long! A couple of months is about all I can take before I need to visit my kids...luckily we live just a few hours away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great date night! That cartoon is so funny! I would like to have the body in that last photo! Pretty please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love smaller portions! More and more restaurants are doing that around here and I am so thankful. Not just for the waistline, but for the wallet! It allows us to try restaurants that we would never go to unless it was for a super duper occasion.

    How nice to have little Helen home! Almost a year is really too long a time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are hilarious.

    I can't believe it is almost Thanksgiving. This year has flown by!

    ReplyDelete