Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tuesday Ten

10.  If you have questions regarding the Zero Excuses Challenge I started this week, ask away! A couple of people asked in yesterday's comments so I decided I'm going to do a post on Thursday answering questions.

9.  My 'last supper' on Sunday night before I started the Zero Excuses Challenge was Braised Short Ribs, Crockpot Smashed Red Potatoes, Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Homemade Biscuits.  Of course the ribs and brussels sprouts can be eaten again during the challenge but Mr. Helen is in biscuit heaven because he doesn't have to share!


8.  I think I've already found one way I'm going to "cheat" the Paleo diet:  salad dressing.  I use Newman's Own Light salad dressings, mostly the balsamic vinaigrette and the honey mustard.  Technically, on Paleo, I shouldn't use them because they have a bit of sugar in them.  But you know, they're organic and have all natural ingredients so there you have it.

7.  In some ways I think "cheating" a bit might be good for me overall.  I have the tendency to be such a rule follower that I can end up trapped by things I don't even like.  Then I'm resentful and nothing good comes of that.

6. As I stated, this Paleo thing is going to make me a creative cook.  With all the veggies I'm actually chomping on, I wanted to come up with some sort of soup to use as a starter for dinner time meals.  What I came up with is Roasted "Cream" of Broccoli Soup.  I'll share the recipe in another post but here's what it came out looking like - pretty good, huh?  Tasted good too.


5. Every diet I've ever tried has left something with me that I've kept as I've moved on.  For example, Weight Watchers taught me about portion sizes and to use a scale in the kitchen.  That was 15 years ago and to this day I keep a food scale in my kitchen.  I wonder what Primal/Paleo will leave me?

4.  Here's a tip we got from Rich yesterday - a tip everyone can use! To lose weight, take your "goal" weight and multiply it by 10.  That's the approximate number of calories you want to eat in a day.  So easy to remember that.

3. I've not been hungry at all but neither have I felt satisfied, even though the food I'm eating is very good.  I feel like "something" is missing.  I'm also sure that the satisfaction has something to do with the emotional part of eating.

2.  Yesterday's breakfast:  an omelette made with 1 egg, 1/2 cup egg beaters, 1/2 tsp. olive oil, 1/2 cup mushrooms pieces, 1/2 cup chopped asparagus, 1/4 cup scallions, 1 cup baby spinach.  It was delicious and kept me fairly full but I have to admit, I missed the whole grain English muffin I would have normally had with it.  There it is...there's what I'm missing:  grains!



1.  Just for giggles, I tracked yesterday's food mostly because I was curious about the carb level.  I had only 59g of carbohydrates!  Mmmmmm, I don't think my running legs are going to like this very much at all.  In fact I'm wondering if my running will be slowed to a walk by week's end!

14 comments:

  1. Funny about the salad dressing. My plan advices to make your own dressing but I’m too lazy for it and at work I use salad dressing which probably contain sugar too. I don’t use much, just enough to spice up my salad.

    And according to number 7: I’m the same, I can’t have a glass of wine outside my carb hour but the h*ll with it: I drink 1 or 2 glasses on Saturday night. It’s my treat.

    About the running, my experience with going low carb was that my body had to adjust to less carbs and the first 2 weeks running sucked but now I’m 4 weeks in the program it doesn’t make a difference anymore. I don’t need a lot of carbs with the distances I’m running now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to following your challenge, Helen! I love doing food experiments and I do think that I learn something new about my body each time I try one!

    #3 is a tricky one for sure. I'm learning there is a big difference between full and satisfied. When I'm not eating what my body craves, I am rarely satisfied. Since you know that this will be a short experiment, I would say to really focus on what you're eating while you're eating. Basically, keep mindful. If you focus on enjoying all the tastes and textures (as opposed to just shoveling it in like I do! LOL!), you may find that will contribute to some of the satisfaction feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The key to being successful on any plan is making it fit you. There are so many diets, meal plans, and exercise plans out there. None is perfect. When you make changes that allow you to stick with it, that gives you the chance to make changes for life.

    I had to ditch an all-or-nothing mentality to be successful, which was the hardest concept for me to grasp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be fun to follow. I look forward to your creativity with food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are off to a great start Helen! I ended up with under 60 carbs for the day too - I hardly took any insulin either - take my pumpkin pancake recipe - its 60 carbs for that breakfast alone!

    I also have to admit that I have not been pushing myself nearly as hard as I should - those 3:1 splits are motivating!

    And I had no wine last night - woot! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your adventurious spirit, Helen. I'm going to be cheering you on. I also want to find out more about the food plan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your omelet looks incredible! You are making the food look good...and I bet you'll get past the "no grains" thing pretty quick. Love that you're making this plan your own...I agree, the all-or-nothing concept just sets you up for failure, so this way, you won't have that!

    Oh, and I love Newman's Own light balsamic vinaigrette too. Twins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks so good!!! And yes, I also have learned a little something from every "diet" I've been on.

    There are many paleo runners/athletes. From what I understand your body adjusts then you can do just fine. There is even a book about it.

    Doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're going to just KILL this challenge Helen. Yay you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did atkins and wht I came away with is to limit my white flour and sugars. When you do that your cravings go waaaaaaaay down. I hope this experiment works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHOA 59?

    Im enjoying watching YOU do this :)
    cant wait to see how well it works.

    See? thats me attracting the positive :)
    well
    it shall work WELL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can relate to feeling full but not satisfied with certain meal plans. I like my grains too!

    I can't wait to read your post explaining more about this food plan. It's one of the few I haven't tried!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Helen, I'm watching you! (Darn stalkers!) And, I'm impressed with the progress already... However, it's not "No Carbs" It's "Low carbs". I still eat 30 to 50% of my calories in carbohydrates (depending on the day or future event) but it comes from fruits and veggies, not grains, tubers or legumes. And mostly before noon. The omelette looked delicious. The cravings will pass a bit, although, I did stand over a tray of fresh brownies my fiancees daughter baked the other night...for 2:00 minutes before I pulled myself away without eating one. (dang it!) But, I felt leaner the next day! Remember, fat lasts way longer than cravings do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard about the Paleo diet from others, but it will be really interesting to see it in action with you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete