Thursday, December 8, 2011

Reader Recipe Request

When I wrote the post about our Thanksgiving weekend, I mentioned an overnight breakfast casserole and noted that most of you probably had such a recipe.  Kristen, from Low Fat Dressing commented and said she'd never heard of such a thing and requested the recipe.

This is not a low fat or 'diet' recipe by any means - nor is it Paleo lol!  Even though I make some concessions and use low/lower fat items in it, we consider this a special occasion recipe therefore I have never calculated the nutrition facts.  It is yummy though and worth the occasional indulgence.

Enjoy!

Overnight Breakfast Casserole

1 pound turkey breakfast sausage
8 slices thick white bread (I buy a bread called Texas Toast but you could buy a loaf and slice it thickly yourself)
4 T butter
2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar (I use reduced fat - NOT fat free cheese)
6 eggs
3 cups milk (I use skim or 1%)
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)

If the turkey sausage is in casings, squeeze the sausage out into a non-stick skillet and brown, making sure to crumble so you don’t have lumps.  Set aside to cool.

Cut the crusts off each slice of bread and lightly butter each side.  Cut bread slices into cubes.

Spray a 3 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Then layer bread cubes, turkey sausage, cheese.  Repeat.  (I get 2 layers in the dish I use.)

In a large bowl, whisk together the spices, eggs and milk, then pour it over the casserole.

Wrap casserole with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, preheat the oven to 350, remove the wrap and put casserole in the oven.  Bake for 35-45 minutes until the dish is puffy and golden brown on the top.

Let rest for about 10 minutes, then serve.  Makes 6-8 servings, depending on how big your eaters are!

11 comments:

  1. I did not know we could make requests. Can you make it for me and overnight it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While you're making Bzybee's, do one for me as well! Sounds good - I just printed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While you're making Bzybee's, do one for me as well! Sounds good - I just printed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL on your commenters! I have a similar recipe that I make for Christmas morning breakfast - love anything that I can do the day before and just shove in the oven later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved that casserole, although I use Jimmy Dean's sage sausage - so good! (and like you, I've never figured out the calories!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is bigger in TEXAS, eh? Even the thick-sliced toast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds delicious! I have never had anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen, I just saw this recipe and I thought you might like it! :D

    http://thehotplate.com/default.php/?p=3461

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOH MY INLAWS WILL love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhhhhh, man that sounds so good. Thank you! I may make this too for a chilly weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I just realized we are going to a friend's for New Years Brunch. I was going to bring quiche -- but this will be a much bigger hit! :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete