Monday, January 23, 2012

Party Like A Rock Star

The company holiday party was held on Saturday as it is every year - the third Saturday in January.  It actually is nice to have the party after the craziness of the Thanksgiving to New Year's time frame, not to mention that it gets one out of the house for a nice evening during dreary January.

But more often than not, it snows.  Last year I think we'd had so much snow by party night that we weren't even thinking about it.  This year, the first big snowstorm of the winter season started in the early morning hours party night... and it snowed all day. We ended up getting record snowfall (for the date) because the storm decided to hug the coast where I live.  Poor Mr. Helen started blowing snow at 9 am and didn't finish until 4 pm.  He did our driveway, then went next door to our single neighbor, then up to the elderly couple, then to his dad's.  By the time he got back to our driveway, another 3-4 inches had fallen and it was 3:00 and I was panicking because we needed to leave for the party a bit earlier than we normally would have. My panic drove me out to the driveway with a shovel. .  Believe me, it wasn't the afternoon I'd been expecting.

In the midst of all this, while I was trying to stay really Zen, the hairdresser called and cancelled my hair appointment.  I had a feeling that might happen and had lined up a friend who said they could do something for me but when I called, they had gone skiing.   GAH! Stupid snow.

That meant instead of having my hair done and being able to just slowly sip a glass of wine and take two hours to get ready for the party, those last few hours ended up being a blur of shoveling and me cussing the snow.  Followed by me desperately trying to get my hair into some sort of updo.  It was bad people and the only thing that calmed me down was texts from a friend who saw my Facebook update in which I blasted the snow. Honestly, by the time we walked out the house, I was patting myself down to make sure that I had my underwear on, it was just that crazy!

Mr. Helen was sort of grumpy and I guess I would be too if I'd blown snow for 7 hours, so he wasn't super cooperative about taking photos of me prior to us leaving.  Thank goodness, I had a back-up plan... Tall Friend's cute boyfriend who would come to the rescue at the venue.  In the meantime, I tried to take some accessory shots on my own.

The drive that should have taken around 35 minutes, took an hour but we arrived in one piece thanks to Mr. Helen's Bluebelle and her 4WD.  I arrived in style in my gorgeous dress.... and snow boots.  When you see my shoes, you'll know why I didn't want to risk getting anything on them!  I don't have a boot photo but everyone in the check-in area got a kick out of it.

After we were there and I finally got my martini!! I settled down and we really had a great time.  Discussing it on the way home we decided for all the pre-party discombobulation it was one of the funnest we can remember.

Alright already, I know you are dying to see the photos so without further ado, here they are!

No closeup of my hair.  I did manage to get it up but it really didn't look as pretty as I'd pictured in my mind.  But I needed it up to show the gorgeous neckline of the dress and my beautiful earrings.


The other accompaniments.  My bracelets and the beautiful ring on my finger is the black diamond ring Mr. Helen gave me for Christmas this year.


These shoes may be my favorite fancy shoes ever!  They are high, high heels and sparkly as get out - what's not to love?  I am sort of proud of these shots... on the left I was trying to show you how high the heels were and after I took the photo I noticed you can see my other foot on the floor.  I also love the shot of the shoes alone because you can see just the corner of my handbag on the right.  


Here's the one shot Mr. Helen took before we left.  I don't like how this dress photographs (or maybe it's me?) - it really does look so beautiful in person!  


A nice shot by the boyfriend (and you can tell how high my heels are... Mr. Helen is 5'11 and I'm 5'6 - I'm almost as tall as he is!)

Tiny Friend and her Mr. She has a corsage because she is a previous Employee of the Year.

Tall Friend and her Boy-Toy (we hope he'll be her Mr. we like him a lot!)

Three Shopping Friends - don't we look gorgeous?  I say we do!

The Boy-Toy said, "Work it ladies!" We have so much fun together.

A superb time was had by all.

19 comments:

  1. Helen you look absolutely fabulous. I love, love, love everything about your look. And the shoes ... you know I would buy them totally for myself too.

    You're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look amazing. One would never know that you had been out shoveling snow(!!!) shortly before you got all dolled up - and wow, from head to toe, you had it going ON, girl!!!

    Love that you three (and the menfolk) had such a blast. Now that is the way to PARTY!!!

    I'm with Fran - those shoes are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I love it! You look fabulous and not a bit stressed from all you went through prior to the party. Love the shoes--wish I could wear shoes like that. Happy for you, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowza Helen! Can you dance in those shoes? What a lead-in to the party! I guess you got home okay or you wouldn't have been able to post this. I'm afraid out here in California the entire party would have been cancelled. You guys are just better at snow than we are. You share my love of all things sparkly and magenta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Debby, I boogied my butt off! The shoes really are quite comfortable because of the platform. Though the heels look really high, the platform takes away some of the height.

      Delete
  5. Sensational! You all look gorgeous. Glad you had a great time despite the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad the weather didn't spoil the partay! It looks like you all had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very lovely!!

    And we have something in common...I like to have a glass of wine when I get ready for a big party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know how to hit the party thing out of the ballpark. Nicely done. I don't know which part of the outfit I like most - the dress, the bracelets, THE SHOES! It's all good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you look STUNNING and ***happy***
    the latter being far more important :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love the dress!! You look absolutely glowing.
    Sucks it snowed so much that day but it makes all the more exciting and enjoyable once you get to where you are going...

    I've been having problems posting to your site - for some reason when I go to post a comment, the screen goes completely white and I can't bring it back. I have the same issue with Kyle's site as well....
    I'm reading though...
    And you are right - I am much happier these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Helen, My dear, you look mah-velous! Lovely dress! And I love those shoes!

    Thanks so much for hanging with me and stopping by now that I've got my technical issues under control!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. You looked Ahhhhmazing!!! From head to toe! The hair was perfect, simple enough to let the dress and shoes(oh, how i love those shoes!) shine. So glad you refocused & had a blast! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Helen, you looked FANTASTIC. AS did Mr. Helen. Love those shoes!!!! (but would have loved to have seen the dress with the snowboots - funny)
    Hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! Love that dress. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a great party! You looked amazing. Love the dress and all your accessories. Glad the snow didn't ruin your fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OOOOH, you guys all look amazing!!! Love the dress, the shoes, the man candy on your arm (LOL). Oh, how fun to have a great time shopping with your besties to find the dresses, and then all go out together to enjoy being in them and being with each other. Fun and sexy!

    ReplyDelete