Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Recipe Roundup: Soup's On

I'm going to start a new "feature" on Doing A 180:  sharing a favorite recipe, maybe once a week.  All this Paleo/weight loss business has found me trying hard to be creative in the kitchen and I thought it would be nice to document that.


Mr. Helen claims to like soup but other than when I make it and put it in front of him as his meal, he never voluntarily goes back to have more.  So, even though I love soup I sometimes hesitate to make it.  Many of the recipes I've found just make so darn much even if I eat half of it I still have half a dozen containers of soup left to freeze.


I may have found the most perfect soup recipe ever.  Not only does it make just a few servings, but after making it I see that it could have many variations. I did end up making some changes to the original recipe but all for the good!


I originally found the recipe, where else?  On Pinterest.  The blogger who developed the recipe, Peas and Thank You actually cooked hers in a slow cooker but my crockpot was busy with some beef so I did mine stove top and it was ready in 30 minutes.  As it came together around 2:00 Sunday afternoon and I hadn't eaten lunch and it would be 5 or so hours until dinner, I ended up adding some shrimp to make it a complete meal.  Without the shrimp, it's just a great soup to pump up your veggies (I'm looking at you Kelly) - or perhaps you've been participating in Meatless Mondays?  Again, perfect for that.   I've been taking it to work to have with my salad.  Here is my version.


Coconut Curry Kale Soup
1 c. chopped onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. nutmeg
2 t. curry
2 1/2 c. vegetable broth

2 medium carrots, sliced
One 14 oz. can light coconut milk
One 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, with juices
One 14 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups torn kale
1 tsp. sea salt

Pepper to taste
Olive Oil cooking spray


Spray a 5-6 quart stockpot with olive oil cooking spray.  Heat over medium heat then add chopped onion and garlic. Saute onion and garlic for a couple of minutes then add remaining ingredients except kale.  Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  Add kale and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until kale is tender.  Season to taste and serve.

Serving Size: Makes 6 1-cup servings. Per serving: 97 calories, 4.5g fat, 13g carbs, 3.6g fiber, 3.4 g protein.

Variations:  I added the kale then portioned out one serving into a smaller sauce pan.  Then I added 6 large shrimp and cooked them with the kale. It changed the values to 210 calories, 6g fat, 13g carbs, 3.6g fiber and 27g protein.

If one didn't care for the middle eastern flavors of this soup (which I don't understand!) the spices could be changed to basil, oregano, etc. and the beans to cannellini to give it Italian flair.  You could also substitute spinach for the kale, etc.  In other words, so many possibilities!


This one is definitely a keeper!
(Shelley & Kyle,  just try to imagine it without the shrimp...)

13 comments:

  1. I would never have thought of the idea to use kale in a soup. Actually I only use kale to make a dish with mashed potatoes with it. Maybe it's time to try something new with it.

    I love to read recipes and meals on blogs even if I probably won't make them because some of the ingredients can't be bought here and we use different measurements. As an owner (as you know) of many cook books I can cook a lifetime from them and they're all Dutch. But fact remains I love reading about it, so great idea and keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spices. Especially middle and far eastern. I like to see recipes and pictures on blogs too, but most do not come with serving size and calorie information. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama Pea never disappoints with her recipes! This one looks great, too, Helen! Loving the addition of shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the combo of coconut and shrimp. This sounds like a delicious recipe (except the chickpeas, maybe I could use lentils?)

    Please do share your recipes. I think you are a person who really enjoys good food, so its always good to hear what you're eating and cooking. Plus I"m intrigued with seeing the paleo recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just started using coconut milk the last couple years - love it! I would splash my soup with sriracha though, and sub spinach for the kale.

    Oh, and leave out the damn onions. :D

    Looks great with shrimp! One of my very first dates with Tony I made homemade soup and bread - he loved it! I cleared the table then came in and said "ready to go to the movies?" He said "where's dinner?"

    Turns out he doesn't think soup makes a meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a good laugh when I saw your last aside...you know me so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Helen! That sounds awesome. I'm going to try and make it over the weekend when old man winter returns...we love soup and stew (and stoup).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen - great soup! I love those flavors so I wouldn't change a thing!

    I could eat soup every day and never get tired of it I love it so much, in fact I'm eating some right now! I'm posting the recipe tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol Who me?
    It sounds delicious!! I bet some chicken would be good too! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I would do spinach. Not a big fan of the kale. I think with shrimp it would be divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum. And you know I love kale! This is on the table next week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh, I will be collecting recipes from you now too, I see. :)

    ReplyDelete