Thursday, January 19, 2012

Relatives and Recipes

Another sort of random post.  I don't seem to have many cohesive thoughts this week for some reason.  Maybe the winter weather that has finally settled in has frozen my train of thought.

 I just have to show you guys this little person and her friend Murphy.  This is my great-niece Emmeline Jane (she's a month old).  The first "great" on my side of the family, making my brother the first of us siblings to be a Grandpa.  I can't wait to meet her in person!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did ya'll notice the new reply feature in Blogger comments?  I'll be using it.  If you ask me a question that I feel can be answered publicly, I'll reply right back in the comment thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the what a difference a year makes train of thought, last year I was miserable getting ready for my Holiday Party (which is always held the 3rd Saturday in January).  Not only did I feel fat and out of shape but I actually was not feeling well physically as I was fighting my SI joint and who knows what internally.  Right at the last minute I found a dress that I thought was at least acceptable and I only bought it because it cost $30.  I didn't buy a thing to go with it or do anything else special.

This year, I feel fabulous.  I have a gorgeous dress, shoes, and accessories, I'm getting a manicure and pedicure and having my hair done.  There's something a lot to be said for feeling better physically and mentally!

The only concern I have at this point is the snow that is forecast for Saturday.  I'm not kidding when I tell you it always seems to snow on the day of the party and I find myself trying to negotiate salty sidewalks with high heels.  I've already made up my mind if this snow materializes, I am wearing my boots to the door of the party and changing.  The shoes I got to go with my dress this year are so fabulous there's no way I'm taking the chance of ruining them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Debby, I hope you're not disappointed by this week's recipe round-up.  Since the two I wanted to share are already online, I decided just to link to them.

As I shared before, I have been making some sort of vegetable soup each week to compliment meals or to use as a snack.  Yes, I snack on vegetables - more often than fruit actually.  This week I went back to an old faithful, Roasted Zucchini Soup.  At 95 calories, 6g fat, 9g carbs, 3 g fiber, 2.6g protein per one cup serving this soup is a superstar!

A new recipe I tried this week came from the latest issue of Cooking Light:  Chicken Piccata.  This came out delicious!  If you don't want or like to use wine when cooking you could substitute more chicken broth.  Their serving suggestion was to pair this with root vegetables and mashed potatoes.  To make the meal somewhat Paleo, I skipped the potatoes and ate it with roasted carrots and roasted cabbage from Kayln's Kitchen - yet another new to me recipe.  The lemon flavor on the cabbage really complimented the chicken.  I do not have a photo because my cabbage did not stay together as well as Kayln's!  Oh well, it tasted yummy!


16 comments:

  1. What a sweet and precious baby!

    I am so glad you are feeling so fantastic, Helen. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you are feeling good about yourself for this holiday party, Helen! A positive body image makes for a fun night!! Oh and sorry I couldn't get to you on your last couple of posts - whenever I tried to comment, it wouldn't go through! Anyway, I do wish your friend would have gotten the red dress and could "see" what you all saw, too. We sure do kill ourselves slowly with self-doubt, don't we?

    I am excited to see what dress you chose for the party! We're gonna get some pics, right? :)

    Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see pictures of you all dressed up!!

    I love chicken piccata!! Yum!

    Do you know when to expect your test results? It's on my mind as it hits close to home for me. I'm going to talk to my dr. about getting off metformin. I hope you don't have to take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless something is drastically wrong, meaning if the results are good or borderline, I won't hear anything until I have my follow-up with my doctor on the 30th. I'm hoping the pnone doesn't ring!

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I'd forgotten about that zucchini soup AND how much I was running not so long ago...makes me wistful to see that. Six miles? I can't even run six minutes now.

    Love that baby/cat picture! And the name as well - new life, so sweet.

    I cannot wait to see you in your glory, all dressed for the party. Um, any chance you could get one of your shopping friends to take some pictures of you? Not saying that Mr. Helen doesn't do a good job, but...men. You know. What's important to us is not always on their radar. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly you will run 6 miles again, you will!

      Shopping friends and I already have grand plans to do some additional photos no matter what has been taken at home.

      Delete
  5. Emmeline Jane, what a beautiful name, and I love the picture with the kitty. Very cute.

    I hope for your sake it doesn't snow on party day. I hate this freaking snow. This morning the snow is now covered with frozen ice. Not cool. At all. Hate it. I tried to walk outside to get in my frozen car to drive to the gym this morning. Joke was on me. It's like a freaking skating rink outside.

    I'm with you on the snow (and ice). As soon as I retire, I'm out of here. Palm Springs or Phoenix. Or somewhere where the sun shines and it's warm. Cold weather is for the Polar bears.

    Really glad to hear you're doing so well. You had a rough spot there, but you're sure on fire now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the baby and cat picture. Pretty cool cat to pose with a baby like that.

    Okay, you had me with the roasted zucchini soup until I got to the last picture! I just laughed at myself. I do not like blended or creamy soups. I guess I'm 'soup-challenged.' The chicken picatta looks fabulous. I will make that some night. What do you think about decreasing the amount of butter/oil by about half?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, you'll need the full amount of oil to do the pan fry required for the chicken itself, but now that I've made it,and tasted it, I decided I am going to try omitting stirring the 1 1/2 T butter into the sauce at the very end. Worth a try anyway!

      Delete
  7. Hmmm...I've been asleep and not notice that Blogger may support nested or embedded comments...I shall go and look! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen I am really enjoying your blog. Congratulations on your weight loss. I can hear the joy in your words as you write about preparing for your holiday. What a great feeling! I'm so thrilled for you. Have fun this weekend! Can't wait to see the dress you selected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a precious baby and kitty!!

    I am so glad you're feeling fab!! Can't wait to see pics of you in your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes yes
    pictures pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait either to see you in your party outfit. Reading how fabulous you feel makes me so happy. You're going to shine at the party tomorrow Helen.
    I have some suede shoes/boots and when it's raining I always wear other shoes and change at work. Don't want to ruin my shoes :)

    Have lots and lots of fun tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the new comment feature was causing the problem with commenting in general while they were working it out. Hopefully it's fixed now.

    What a difference a year makes! I am hoping I can look back next year and see improvement instead of more regrets. Two years of that is enough!

    Hmmm, roasted cabbage. I will be checking that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen, I immediately thought of you when I found that cabbage recipe!

      Delete