Thursday, January 5, 2012
Tuesday Ten on Thursday
10. Tuesday, all day, the temperature dropped and dropped and the wind picked up. Wednesday morning when I got up to have coffee and check the weather before my run, it was 11 degrees and -2 degrees wind chill. Hmmmmm. No thanks. Especially not when combined with darkness. So, I took my boyfriends, Bob and Dolvett, and went out to the treadmill where I did a one hour run in my balmy, 20 degree garage.
9. Believe it or not, I am generally warm and have a hard time wearing full boots because my legs get sweaty! With that temperature drop I decided to try a dress I haven't worn in almost two years and it fit! Bonus, I got to wear my boots! (Crappy iPhone photo):
8. Last Win = Best Win! That's right, I won the football picks again this week. I really wanted to win too because with that win, Mr. Helen and I split the season with the same number of wins each.
7. For the past few years, Mama Helen has given each of us the same Christmas gift, usually based on gender. This year, I think she may have hit the jackpot as she bought all the ladies fleece vests. When we started opening our gifts and realized what had happened, we HAD to pose for a photo, tags still on and all - because we were stylin'!
L-R: Little Helen, me, Sister Hannah, Sister-in-Law April, Sister-in-Law Katharine
6. Shelley and I are going to meet face to face this year, come hell or high water. Even though we have not finalized anything yet, she knows it too, because she has begun making food requests in my comments. I need to start keeping a list of all the things she wants.
5. Though it seems odd, we still haven't had any snow except that freak Halloween storm. I'm fine with that. I can handle the cold, even the bitter like we've had. Snow causes all sorts of other complications that I can live without!
4. I am struggling with my clothing right now - not quite down another full size. Here's an outfit I wore to work this week. When I got home, Mr. Helen informed me that the whole thing is entirely too big and baggy. That sort of made me sad because I love this boiled wool jacket. What say you?
3. Speaking of clothing, I'm going shopping to a big mall in Rhode Island to look for a holiday party dress. Two of my friends from work are coming and we'll make a day of it. I hope I can find something pretty, that fits (see #4). Mr. Helen asked me why we were even bothering since all 3 of us would just come back with "another little black dress." And that right there explains a fundamental difference between a man's brain and a woman's. He thinks "another black dress" we think "200 stores! Shopping! Lunch! 200 stores!"
2. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I run/walk at a 2:1 ratio for two reasons. One, I want to do intervals as my cardio and two, those are Muay Thai days and I like to try to save my legs a bit. Since I've lost a bit of weight, I've seen my average pace on those go from an average of 13:15/mile to this morning's stellar 11:48. Same courses, same 5K distance. Weight matters for exercise performance.
1. The new season of the Biggest Loser has a theme: “No Excuses.” How crazy and appropriate is that? I guess it just rang a bell with me since I just got my mojo back using the Zero Excuses Challenge and Scale! My favorite quote from the first episode: "Make excuses or make a change." I'm choosing change, how about you?