Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tuesday Ten

10. Do you think it's weird that I am more motivated by a shopping date I set in April with my shopping friends than I am by my vacation date?  I am SO MOTIVATED by that shopping date.  The thought of trying on fun, smaller clothing just appeals to me.

9.  Speaking of shopping, I had to buy a couple pairs of slacks.  There is a Gloria Vanderbilt style that I really like for work and believe it or not, I can only find it at BJ's.   Last Friday I'm in BJ's and check the aisle and find one brown and one grey in my new size so I grab them.  Monday morning I go to put on a pair of the slacks and there are some hard plastic-feeling tags on the side digging in to me so I take them off to cut them out.  Why I actually looked at the tags I don't know because I never have before.  Take a look at the style name of these slacks - you literally have to see it to believe it.  No wonder they fit me so well!



8.  Ahem.  Totally rocking my running mileage in 2012.  I logged 106.16 miles in January.  Yes, I'm counting the .16!

7. Remember me mentioning that the color I chose for my holiday party mani-pedi was Purpleopolis, a discontinued OPI color?  Katie J, who was my first blog follower, read that and went online to see if she could find the color.  She did and look what arrived at my house last week!

6.  So my doctor walks through the door into the exam room, takes one look at me and exclaims, "Oh my goodness!  Did Cynthia weigh you?  How much weight have you lost?!!"  Then she looked at my chart and told me I'd lost 20 pounds since my last weight.

5.  Then she said that it was probably more like 23 since my previous weigh in had been at an 8 am appointment and this one was at 4 in the afternoon and she was sure I was carrying hydration and food...."You did eat today didn't you?" That question struck my funny bone and I sat there giggling.  I told her that was OK, I'd take the 20. Then she said, "I'm sorry I just can't get over this. I don't know if I've ever had a patient who so completely took charge the way you have.  Did I tell you that you don't even look like you weigh what your actual number is?  You look so strong and muscular and athletic."   Then she asked me a bunch of questions about the Zero Scale. She thinks it might help motivate some of her other patients.

4.  Then she began to question my new way of eating and told me that 'somehow' I'd managed to raise my good cholesterol by 13 points and lower my bad cholesterol by 8 points.  Plus my blood pressure was spectacular.

3.  Then she told me that not only had I turned around my weight and cholesterol but that my thyroid had gone from completely hypothyroid to borderline hyperthyroid.  It has never ever gone that low in the 6 1/2 years we've been working on it.  Adjustments are now being made.  First time ever I'll be taking less thyroid medication.

2.  Then she told me that I had 'somehow' managed to drop my fasting insulin level by 4 whole points so NO METFORMIN and to keep up the good work and she'll see me in May.

1.  Then I told her, "That appointment will be after my anniversary trip so I'll be skinny and happy and tan - prepare to be dazzled!"

43 comments:

  1. I'm dazzled this morning! What a great, fabulous, A-MAZING report. Good job, Helen. Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Helen! These are fantastic results. As a nurse I am just so happy to read that you will not require Metformin and that your thyroid medication dosage is being decreased. It also sounds like you have a very attentive doctor.

    Your story is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen I'm so happy for you! You must have left that office dancing on clouds. Everything you worked so hard for paid off. Congratulations!

    You really made my day with this post because I'm sitting here all smiles for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome post Helen! I agree with Fran...I'm sitting at my desk smiling for you!! I'm so impressed AND motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, Helen!! I'm so happy for you and your fabulous results. What first comes to mind, however, is how hard you worked and focused on getting these great results! Shopping in April sounds wonderful. Go for it and be very, very motivated--you deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen I am jumping with joy for you! You did it!!! That is so awesome and I love how your Dr responded.

    Your story is so inspiring and fills me with hope that I can turn my LDL cholesterol numbers back, lose this extra poundage.

    You planned your work and worked your plan and just look at your results. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tami, plan your work, work your plan with hard work - dedication!

      Delete
  7. Absolutely fantastic news!!! Thrilled to hear this! And it gives me hope too. Hate taking those meds. ;)

    Congratulations!

    And so funny about the pants. It's like they were made for you or something. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, maybe I'm famous and didn't even know it?

      Delete
  8. Good for you! An oil change and a tune up and you're good for a few more thousand miles. ;-) Great job on your healthiness. btw.... size 10 qualifies for "skinny butt" status.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skinny butt is always a matter of perspective but thank you!

      Delete
  9. OK, so normally I comment on the individual items, but I have to give the entire ten a huge thumbs up, way to go, freaking awesome, standing ovation!!! Loved everything about it!

    P.S. Helen pants? Now THAT is funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw your comment on Tina's blog. How amazing are those Fridge Smart containers? I'm positive mine have paid for themselves by now!

    Such a positive post! I look forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fridge smart containers are hands down the best purchase I made in 2011. I have literally seen a decrease in how much I'm spending on produce because of them!

      Delete
  11. Those are walking on air 10 moments that should last for 10 months, 10 years!!! Wow - great great great news!!! Just to have a doctor be in awe of your weight loss, if that isn't a NSV moment for sure!!!

    MO-tivated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MO, I'm hopiing that the walking on air moment last for at least 10 more pounds! :D

      Delete
  12. Incredible results! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how exciting this is!!! Way to go Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great appointment that was! Congrats on the rewards of all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doctors really ARE amazed when a patient is actually accountable and ON IT...great to hear. And LOL at the pants label!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post made me smile from ear to ear Helen!! So happy that your doctor is happy! :D

    I love that the pants style is HELEN! I don't think I'll find any that say "Biz!"

    You are doing so great - I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your results are simply fabulous...and very inspirational at that. I'm going in for a physical this Friday...one of the few times I've ever looked forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Helen!!! That had to be the best appointment ever!!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah! Good for you and your good report from the doctor. You're inspiring me today and i needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. yay! yay! yay! the best news of all is the fact that you are less dependent on the meds! Keep it up! You're rockin it!

    I'm always impressed with your determination and drive! Go Helen!

    It must be a sign that those pants are named for you! Too funny!

    and too funny you are Dolhelen ahd your friend is Shellian! I have to admit that the best part of TBL is watching Dolvet! schwing!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the spirit and of course commitment that is at the heart of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my favorite blog ever. I am beaming with pride for you! And I love that your pants are custom made for you! Congratulations, my friend! You are fabulous. This still does not mean you will the Hottie Friend tag, however (envision me throwing down a gauntlet...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Bean, it's ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, it's on Miss Lowered Cholesterol 20 Pounds Less Pink Toenail Byach.

      Delete
    3. I'm a little nervous about what to do if you both request the same name tag...

      Delete
    4. Don't you worry your pretty little head Em, you are the Super Hott Bride to Be! Mama Bean and I are perfectly capable of duking this out... with a dash of love, of course ;)

      Delete
  23. Awesome results! As Dolvett would say " Hard work, Dedication, Hard work, dedication!" pays off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woohooo!!! Never had any doubt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That doctor's reaction and report is exactly what I expected!! Isn't it wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Helen, this is fantastic...i love the way your whole outlook has turned around. I just remember you being so frustrated, and now you are so happy. It's nice to see...not to mention your weight loss. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic! You are an amazing success story. And how doubly gratifying that your doctor was so dazzled! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I found your blog through Leslie's....wow, woman!! What an amazing post...all of it is thrilling! Very, very happy for you...and the dr should have replaced the word "somehow" with "all your HARD WORK!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I know that the vanity part of weight loss is important but health benefits are what really motivate me.

    Thanks for including me in the Tuesday 10 and I am so glad I could find some for you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Check EBAY for those trousers! I LOVED your post...first time reader. I have decided this week to take myself in hand and re consider my habits including nutrition and moving!! And I am due for an annual checkup and labs right now.
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  31. What an amazing 10! Loved all of them :) Congrats, congrats, congrats. You should be sooooo proud of yourself and your results!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow you are doing great!!! Keep it up!

    Stay focused!

    ReplyDelete