Friday, January 6, 2012

Week One Done!

Can you believe almost a full week of 2012 is gone already?  How did you find yourself doing with the resolutions/goals/promises you made?

For me it was a pretty good week of getting, and staying, back on track with eating and exercise. Not perfect mind you (a couple chocolate covered cherries come to mind...) but good nonetheless.  I restarted the Zero Excuses exercise program using heavier weights and I have to admit, after the break I took,  I was sore after the very first day. If you don't think you'd be sore, try doing 5 one minute planks after not doing them for over a week.  I guarantee you'll feel your abs the next day!  I also went into hard Paleo mode, which I am going to maintain at least for a couple of weeks. Lori's Banana Bread Breakfast Pudding (that I make with 3 egg whites instead of 2 to pump up the protein as I don't top mine with anything)  has been my go-to breakfast this week.  It's so warm and comforting with the cold weather we've had.  Interestingly, I noticed that the minute I cut carbohydrates back, my running pace was affected.  Not sure how I'm going to reconcile that.  I also have to admit by Wednesday pretty much the only thought going though my head was, Sore, Hungry, Tired... it's what you get for having a week of fun.  By today I was almost weeping with tiredness and soreness when I got up to work out but I know it will be better by next week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know I have mentioned before that Mr. Helen doesn't really struggle with his weight. This sometimes makes it hard for him to understand my struggle although in the past few years as I've had the thyroid and insulin issues develop, he has tried.  Honestly, in the entire time we've been together, he's never changed sizes except to go down a size in his slacks when he started martial arts 10 years ago.  He's been a 33 waist ever since.  So you can imagine my huge surprise when he turned to me at some point during the week between Christmas and New Year's and said, "Even I'm looking forward to January 2nd.  Since the Black Belt Show, I haven't done much of anything except eat all the goodies that seemed to be out every day at work and uhhhhhh, I'm feeling it my pants."  I'm afraid 'I' wasn't very supportive at first as my first reaction was to actually guffaw with laughter.  (Sorry, honey). Of course in a week or two I'll still be working hard and he'll be back to having some room in his pants and I'll be totally disgusted.  But for now, I feel a bit of satisfaction that maybe he'll have more empathy when I'm frustrated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe the reason Sensei Mr. Helen's Muay Thai class was spectacular on Thursday night is because of the above-mentioned tight pants.  Believe it or not, just like your gyms, our dojo has been packed this week.  I've seen people that I haven't seen in months.  I think the class last night had 40 people in it.  The room is not huge so that number is challenging for the sensei.  What I loved was that he kept us going just enough that I felt really worked out but not overwhelmed.  What I did not love is that when he was making us do some particularly hard drills he kept yelling, "BYE, BYE CHRISTMAS PIE!"  Just kidding.  It was sort of funny actually.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My favorite recipe this past week did not come from Pinterest, believe it or not.  Rather it came about because of a photo a vegetarian friend posted on Facebook.  It looked so good I knew I'd have to try it: Avocado and Grapefruit Salad from Ina Garten.  Such a nice change from a green salad... and it's Paleo!  This is definitely going into my rotation.  Kristen, not sure if you like avocado but I know you love citrus.  You should give this a try!

Have a great weekend!


20 comments:

  1. Helen, I would add some 'safe' starches into your diet. Paleo (and I am starting to despise this term) has a lot of different variants and it isn't necessarily low carb all the time. Things like root vegetables can be a good way of getting in some more carbs without setting off the insulin response. You might want to pick up a copy of Paul Jaminet's "Perfect Health Diet" as it follows those lines and there is science in the book, which is interesting.

    I found adding some potato in my diet has helped so much with my workouts. I know it probably is against the actual Zero Excuses program, but I also know you are willing to make changes to make it work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've had a great week!

    Bye, Bye Christmas pie. Now I have American Pie song stuck in my head except with Christmas Pie! LOL

    It's not fair! Guys lose weight so easily! Chuck can just think about losing weight and it comes off. Oh well. We're doing it. No excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am rediscovering many foods that I hated from my childhood.. avocado was not one of them however and was new to me when I moved to the US, but I just don't like it. I've tried. I tried again when I was struggling to find good sources of fat when my daily total was sometimes <10g .. but alas, I don't like it.. but I did grow up eating sardines on toast, so I use that for my fat intake :) avocado vs. sardines? :)

    Not all guys lose weight easily :) I used to put on 2lbs just by sniffing a cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so ya know--recipe links are a BIG distraction for me. I click on them to check them out, and then I forget entirely about the original post, and so then I forget to go back and comment! I remembered this time, of course.

    That salad looks and sound delicious. I will make it with oranges, since I don't like grapefruit. I have all the ingredients in the kitchen right now too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first, I was all ewww, avocado and grapefruit??? But then I remembered that for my Big Salad tonight, I have oranges and avocado on the list of ingredients...so YUM! :)

    The fun thing with working out in groups is "burning" off specific treat foods - BBCP must have been hilarious (and hard)!

    ...and I laughed as well, thinking about Mr. Helen being aware of tight pants. Finally, right?!? But yeah, he'll have it off in no time. Oh well.

    Happppppy Weekend to you. Happy dress shopping! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty happy with myself and you should be too!

    I'm still sticking to my vegan lifestyle and I've exercised every morning (including January 1st!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Ina, love avocado, love grapefruit. Will definitely try this. I have a skinny ass husband too, who has worn 32 waist pants for our whole marriage. Must have something to do with his daily running? And not bingeing his brains out every other day?...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grapefruit and avocado??? OOOOH....bring it on! My husband went YEARS without his weight fluctuating, but he hit 50, and boom...now he too is wanting to lose a few pounds. Sadly, he'll lose his few long before I lose my few. Oh well!!! Have a great Friday Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nummy salad - I love avocado - so going to have to give that one a try.

    Have a great weekend Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I really need to figure out how to add blogs to my google reader - sorry I am late to the comment party!

    Hmmm...avocado and grapefruit...intriguing! I am glad you are back on track - you are kicking butt. I do have to say that while I know Rich's intentions are good, he's sent me emails that if I just follow a Paleo diet completely, my diabetes will be cured. Um, pretty sure my pancreas doesn't work anymore so that's why I have to take insulin.

    I got some great workouts in - my food was pretty decent (the Chex Mix is finally thrown out!) so hope I have a good WI tomorrow. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't do one-minute planks. Congrats! -- Little Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome! I did my whole body workout earlier...it felt good. My first week on the year was good..the next week will be even better. Keep up all your good work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first week was good - it felt nice to be all routiney again. My workouts haven't been stellar, but some is better than none, yes?

    Love the salad pics. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BYE BYE CHRISTMAS PIE, hahahaha. That Mr. Helen is a funny one.

    I am not an avocado fan, but that looks very good! I wonder if I could substitute something else kind of creamy/juicy. Mango, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paleo and LoCarb...hmmm. who in the world would do that!?
    lol!
    Cutting back carbs might influence your running, (or not) but the glycogen is still there... even if you were fasting - it would still be there!
    So..... just run and try different things to see what works best for you, maybe. Sometimes the work outs where I didn't feel that I did my best were the ones I dropped 5 pounds afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you're back on track Helen! Great job.

    The conversation you and Mr. Helen had about his weight could haven been held here in my house. I'm so close in having a lower weight than R. Something that has never happend in the 19 years we've been together. But he has gained a few pounds over the years. He also never understands why losing weight is so hard. I stopped argueing about it with him and follow my own path.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm totally loving the fact that I got to see these two recipes you posted.

    I'm DEFINITELY giving them both a try. I'm not a big fan of grapefruit, but I love, love, love avocado. Also, I think my boys would dig that banana bread.

    Thanks for posting and CONGRATS on such a good week back into the swing of things. I'm right there with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Helen good job getting back on track. I nada good week of eating healthy and what a difference it makes in how I feel and think! Thanks for salad recipe it looks delicious and something I want to try.

    Interesting about Mr Helen. My hubby never gained an an ounce until he hit his mid 40's and it was then that he started to relate to my weight issues. He can still drop 5 pounds by just cutting back a little where it takes me weeks to do the same thing! Life is so unfair!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been struggling with Thyroid issues for nearly 3 years now. I do triathlon, so exercise isn't an issue. I finally just decided to go Paleo. I'm on day three :) I'm really looking forward to reading your blog and keeping up with your progress!

    ReplyDelete