Friday, January 27, 2012

A Weeks Worth of Random

I woke up in the middle of the night Monday-Tuesday with a raging sore throat.  It was so bad it felt like I was swallowing razor blades.  Once I was up Tuesday morning, it started feeling like my tonsils were going to shut my throat down.  Every swallow was agony.  I called my doctor and of course, they wanted me to come in but I begged hard not to have to do that and asked for a prescription.  Thankfully I have an eight year relationship with my doc and she did that for me.  Have to say that even with the antibiotics I've felt off all week.  But, of course, against advice I received, I didn't rest and as usual I pushed myself to do it all - get to work, get my workouts in, etc.  My eating has definitely been off - I've either been really hungry or not hungry at all.  Should make for an interesting weigh-in tomorrow.  Have to admit, I'm tired and looking forward to the weekend, although I don't know if there's any rest there either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the second year, I am going to take part in Lori's Bloggers' Heart Healthy Weekend.  When she posted about it and I clicked the link for last year, I had completely forgotten I ran 10 miles.  That is how far away I've gotten from distance.  Not sure I can be back to a 10 miler by Feb. 10-12 but in any case I'll be participating and running.  You can do any movement you want so I hope there are lots of bloggers who take part.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

True conversation between Mr. Helen and me this week:

Mr.: What size are you wearing now in case I want to buy you something for your birthday?

H.: Well, I'm wearing what I call large 10s and small 12s.  Mostly because my midlife middle hasn't let me leave 12 completely behind.

Mr.: Does this mean when I go to look for sizes I look for 10L or 12S

H: No there is no such thing, it's just the way they make women's clothing.  Just buy me a 10 since I'm pretty much there.  Otherwise I'll end up with pants that are too long or too big and too short.

Mr. I don't understand women's sizing at all!  Why can't they just be like men's?  I wear a 33x32 pants and if I buy 33x32 they fit!

H.: I don't understand either babe, it's one of life's great mysteries...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My two favorite salads I had this past week, both spinach based - a nice change from lettuce.  One is an old standby, the other was an idea I got from, where else?  Pinterest.  The Pinterest one called for candied Pecans but I felt I didn't need that sugar so I just pan toasted them. The dressing was supposed to be a raspberry vinaigrette which I don't care for so I used Annie's Naturals Lite Poppy Seed.  I don't think I missed a thing, this salad was delicious.

3 cups spinach leaves, 1/2 cup sliced strawberries, 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, 1/4 cup reduced fat Feta cheese, 3/4 oz. chopped toasted pecans.  


3 cups spinach leaves, 1 medium carrot julienned, 1/3 cup chopped Granny Smith apple, 2 heaping tablespoons dried cranberries, 1/4 cup gorgonzola crumbles again with the lite poppy seed dressing.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Running on the treadmill and watching The Biggest Loser. Got to laughing so hard I had to hold on for a minute. "Get your hands off my treadmill!" Ghosts of Dolvett...

Dolvett goes to visit the brother/sister duo who have the chance to earn their way on to the ranch next week if they've lost 50 lbs. on their own, at home.  When he arrives the sister says something like "Oh Lord Jesus I don't know how I'm going to be able to concentrate on working out with this fine man standing here."  Uh-huh, I feel ya sister!

Then I got serious as I watched  Dolvett work with another contestant who was giving him a lot of lip.  Finally he looks at the camera and says, "What is this?  Talk Back to Dolvett hour?  I don't need lip service, I need movement!" (And let me just editorialize that I LOVE that he kicked her out of his gym!)  That got me to thinking how true that is for all of us.  

Too often we just pay lip service to our diet and exercise plans when what we really need to do is move on them.  No excuses.

What movement will you work on over the weekend?  Will you plan meals?  Will you commit to regular exercise - or even up the ante?   For me one thing is going to be working at getting back my Saturday 10 mile runs.  Saturday run used to be my favorite run of the week.  I want that back..



17 comments:

  1. Bummer about the sore throat Helen. I hate that kind of pain.

    Your sizing conversation with Mr Helen was too cute. I don't understand womens sizing either!

    What a great kick in the butt you just gave me with "If you are tired of starting over, stop giving up!"

    Love it,and yes I am getting ready to meal plan and change my food plan. I will be walking this weekend and doing a weight work out! I am excited to up my routine and see some results.

    Wishing you a wonderful weekend and thanks for all of the support. Your recent success has motivated me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of raspberry or balsamic vinaigrette; both have flavors that tend to overwhelm all the other ingredients in any salad. Poppyseeds or honey mustards are more appealing and let the other stuff shine.

    Feel better, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll just say that Mr. Helen is the bravest man alive contemplating buying clothing for a woman. I tip my hat to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kyle he boldly goes where most men won't tread. The thing is I usually love what he buys me - he has a great eye!

      Delete
    2. ...so does that mean he's going to NYC to shop with us? ;)

      Delete
  4. Sorry you have been sick. It does throw a wrench into our workout and eating routines. Hope you feel better...and I agree with you about women's sizes. I really couldn't say exactly what size I am. It's actually quite a range. And Mr. Helen is a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sore throats are the worst - knock on wood I haven't had a sore throat in about 20 years - not sure how I escape them!

    I still need to watch BL - it on Demand, although they make you sit through tiny commercials (can't fast forward) and I think its funny that the commercials are Slim Fast!).

    I hope to get back on plan - meal plan/no excuse on getting the exercise done. No excuses! Thanks for the push Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Helen is so precious, isn't he? ;-)

    Yummy salads - and I hope you feel better soon. A sore throat can be so painful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that sore throat sounds terrible! I just have a cold and have been taking it easy. Can't believe you went to work with it.

    Yes on Lori's challenge. I walked 6 miles last year for it. Don't know if I can do more than that this year.

    Your salads look yummy. Now to find some decent strawberries.

    I was glad Dolvett kicked that girl out too--eye rolling is the worst, and the people that do it don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved that Dolvett did not take crap from that dumb girl - she bugs me. Your mantra at the end of this post is just absolutely perfect and I wish we ALL were required to repeat it several times a day - great reminder that is so easy to forget!

    YUM on those salads. Put 'em on the list. :)

    And I'm cracking up at Mr. Helen actually thinking that women's clothes would make sense to be "10L" or "12S" - you know, he's onto something!!!

    I'd forgotten that I participated in Lori's challenge last year - I did 15 miles on the exercise bike. Who WAS that person?!? Needless to say, like you, I'm out looking for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am behind in my Biggest Lose episodes, but liking the Dolvett stories more and more - can't wait to do the catch up! and what is this that I hear people are quitting - isn't this supposed to be the No Excuse season!!! That is what I am doing my best to do - no excuse - getting up, exercising, eating the best that I can and trying to make this years count down to a lower weight the best year ever!!!

    Feel better and love the conversation with your Mr.


    MO-tivated

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope the throat is doing better. If it viral, then the antibiotics wouldn't do any good, so maybe that is why you were off all week.

    John says to me that shopping for women's clothing is frustrating after watching me do it LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the weekend provides ample opportunity for you to rest and heal.

    Personally, I think men's clothing is more strangely sized than women's, but what do I know. What I do know is I wish I was in your tiny ass 10!

    My 23 y/o son found out 2 days ago he has mono. His throat was so horrendously red with white spots I was sure it was strep, but when the culture was negative, he had a blood test that confirmed the mono. The nurse practitioner gave him a steroid dose pack for the throat, because it was so inflamed, and within 24 hours he felt much better. Still draggy, but able to eat.

    Have a great w/e!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Helen, hope you have a good weekend and the rest gets you well before you know it. Mr. Helen is such a keeper....I love his proposed "sizing". Have a good, easy, relaxing weekend Helen. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow those salads look great! Going to remember that.

    I can't believe I even ran almost a half marathon last year, it seems ages ago. I've decided to leave last year behind me, meaning my running performance, and start fresh this month and work towards longer distances again.

    The conversation between you and Mr. Helen is something that can be heard between every man and woman I think :) it made me smile.

    Have a great weekend Helen, hope you'll get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love spinach salad with strawberries and anything else I can put in there. Especially Avocado - lots of good fat.
    Sucks you were not feeling good. Hope you are much better after this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that quote is my life :)
    ok no :)
    In so so many facets I know Id be unable to restart---so I just done stop.

    ReplyDelete