Thursday, February 23, 2012

Crockpot Beef and Broccoli - Fantastic!


I found a Crockpot Beef and Broccoli recipe through Pinterest that I wanted to try and finally got around to it last weekend.  It was really yummy.  What made it work well for the Helen household was that I was able to just eat the beef and broccoli, thus staying Paleo, and Mr. Helen had his over rice. This recipe gets a spot in the notebook, with my changes, of course.  Since I made some changes in proportions to pump up the vegetables and seasonings, I'll share my version.

Crockpot Beef and Broccoli

    2 medium onions, sliced
    4 cloves garlic chopped
    1 T toasted sesame oil
    1 1/2 lbs. top round cut into bite sized pieces
    8 oz. sliced mushrooms
    1 T roasted red chili paste
    1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp. ginger
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    2 cups beef broth
    24 oz. frozen broccoli florets
    2 T cornstarch
    1/4 cup water

In a non-stick skillet heat toasted sesame oil and stir in onions and garlic, sauteeing for a couple of minutes until clear. 

Pour onion mixture into a 5 quart crockpot. Add beef pieces, mushrooms, chili paste, soy sauce, ginger, black pepper and beef broth. Stir.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

About an hour prior to end of cooking, in a small bowl, stir cornstarch and water together. Add into crockpot and stir in broccoli florets. Continue to cook an additional hour until thickened and broccoli is cooked.

Notes:  I like spicy stuff so I ended up stirring some chili garlic sauce into my bowl.  Mr. Helen who does not like things too spicy said he could have handled his a bit kicked up too so next time I'm going to add some crushed red pepper into the spice mix.  I considered using fresh broccoli but had frozen and went with that.  Honestly, because I did not overcook it, you'd never know it was frozen.  This recipe could easily be halved if you don't want as much.

Makes 8 servings about 1 1/2 cups per serving; 187 calories, 5.4g fat, 11g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 24.4g protein.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Now if I can just find a wee little crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have them Roxie 1.5-2 quarts. Invest in one, you'll love it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, the stats on that are incredible! When I first saw broccoli was going into a crock pot I thought it would be overcooked, but see that you added it near the end. Winner!

    And you know I'll be adding crushed red pepper to mine! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll probably want the chile garlic sauce or sriracha stirred in after the fact too Biz so that it's hot enough for you but not too hot for Tony :D

      Delete
  3. Yum - I love beef with broccoli, and honestly, it's one of those dishes that stands up by itself, with no need for rice. Although Jeff would want rice. Men. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I think you should make this for him. It's really just assembly not real cooking you know lol!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a delicious dish. I would like it too, hub not, he doesn't eat broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a winner - I may try it this weekend. Nothing better than a crockpot for ease of dining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love anything in the slow cooker! sounds great!
    I have a product called Not-Starch...
    I wonder if it would be a good sub for the cornstarch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea Anne but personally I'm not afraid of cornstarch nor do I fear it will derail me in any way, shape or form. I guess just give it a try and see.

      Delete
  7. Hi Helen, geez, I really need my eyes tested....I saw the title and thought "Crackpot?" sigh. Well, whether the recipe is made in a crackpot or a crockpot, I'm sure its delicious. THanks for sharing!!! Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds delicious and healthy, and I love my crockpot, so I will be trying it when I get home. Thanks for sharing, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love using my crockpot - this sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this overall but I think I got the wrong type of chili paste - mine is so hot my mouth is burning. I think I will try this again without the chili paste because I don't like too much spice.

    ReplyDelete